Diversion rear wheel alignment!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mungry

Reaction score
Not sure if any of you out there have done this conversion but wanted to reach out for some advice:

I have got a diversion rear wheel and have had it fitted by a local garage, but it doesn't seem to be right. There is a large gap between the wheel and the shaft drive, big enough for me to get my hand in there (see photo's attached), and the wheel seems slightly out of alignment to the right of the bike when looked at from the back. It looks as if the wheel would be central if this gap wasn't there, and I'm troubled by it.

There was a circular cover that was on the Divvy wheel that I've had painted, but the mechanic said it didn't fit and contacted on the plastic edge of the shaft drive. There also seems to be a spacer on the splines of the wheel drive, which could also need to be removed (noted in the photo). The disk and caliper seem to be properly aligned, but the wheel looks off.

My questions are:
Does the spacer need to be removed (see image), and as such the wheel will move to the drive-side and be properly aligned, or....

Does the circular cover need to be replaced to cover this gap and I just shouldn't worry about the alignment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I've spend a lot of time and money on the bits and project so far so want to get it right.

Attachments

• Rear wheel alignment.jpg
    Rear wheel alignment.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1450.jpg
    IMG_1450.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1449.jpg
    IMG_1449.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1452.jpg
    IMG_1452.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_1453.jpg
    IMG_1453.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1454.jpg
    IMG_1454.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 63
It looks like the washer swap has been done to move the wheel over to the right (when viewed from behind). You can put it back if you have the tire clearance. The Vmax's rear wheel already has an offset. I think it's about 3/8". Sometimes when there is clearance issues with the tire or wheel, people will swap the washer over to the shaft side to make more room.

The plastic piece you mentioned, #30 in first diagram, I believe, is the cover housing/cover plate, It should fit. IMO, its not really needed. But it does help keep dust and such out of the area and clean up the looks of it.

driveshaft.png

0000322653.gif

That's great, is the washer you're refering to item 20 in the diagram? I also thought the item 13 wasn't strictly necessary, but also agree it would clean up the look to re-fit it.

Tyre clearance can;t really be an issue, the rear tyre I'm using is a 160 section, I'm sure the vmax stock swingarm can take most 180 sections no problem. Do you mean if the tyre contacts on the left/drive side people swap the spacer to the drive side to push the wheel to the right?

That's great, is the washer you're refering to item 20 in the diagram? I also thought the item 13 wasn't strictly necessary, but also agree it would clean up the look to re-fit it.

it would be #23 in the second diagram. (by accident, originally posted the diagram from a Gen II Vmax, correct one posted now).

Tyre clearance can;t really be an issue, the rear tyre I'm using is a 160 section, I'm sure the vmax stock swingarm can take most 180 sections no problem. Do you mean if the tyre contacts on the left/drive side people swap the spacer to the drive side to push the wheel to the right?

yup, if there is a little rubbing action on the drive shaft side, they take the washer from the brake side and move it over there to push the wheel to the right.

Greetings I did this mod ages ago and though a bit sketchy on the details I do remember moving a washer to the left hand side and I haven't fitted the plastic cover because it didn't fit .I was told all you had to do was drill some holes to make it line up but I found that wasn't so.You will find the max is faster off the line but you lose top end speed.You will also be running 400-500 revs higher for the same speed as the original wheel.There is a UK vmax site with a guy called clink or clunk who makes the axles for the change.Hope this helps.Kevman.

The name of the gentleman is Wink and the Divvy wheel is 4,5" across so no problems for clearance... The problem is getting the wheel side of the plastic shroud fitted, not the final drive side one.

Back