Do Your Air Scoops Look Like This?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayo76

Reaction score
This is a topic I have running on vmaxchat.co.uk as well. Notice how the curves on the air scoops are misaligned with the carb disphram covers. Has anyone else come across this before?

rhs.jpg

lhs.jpg

Thus far the debate is whether the bikes frame is bent, or the carbs are not seated properly. Im convinced the carbs are sitting correctly as i have had the sides and air box off, loosened all the carb connecting clamps, and have literally sat on the carbs to ensure they are on the engine to the full extent. Even if they are not fully pushed down on the engine, the diaphram covers appear misaligned towards the back of the bike, not downwards!

Now it is possible the frame is bent, in fact im sure it is slightly as the bike did meet a ditch once apon a time, but not to the extent that my diaphrap covers misalign with the curves on the airscoop. I think it can be agreed that if this misalignment was doen to a bent frame it would be very visible and noticable elsewhere on the bike and i would have handling problems, which i dont. Engine mounts have been suggested to me but im not sure what to look for. Any thoughts fellow Maxers?

This is a topic I have running on vmaxchat.co.uk as well. Notice how the curves on the air scoops are misaligned with the carb disphram covers. Has anyone else come across this before?

rhs.jpg

lhs.jpg

Thus far the debate is whether the bikes frame is bent, or the carbs are not seated properly. Im convinced the carbs are sitting correctly as i have had the sides and air box off, loosened all the carb connecting clamps, and have literally sat on the carbs to ensure they are on the engine to the full extent. Even if they are not fully pushed down on the engine, the diaphram covers appear misaligned towards the back of the bike, not downwards!

Now it is possible the frame is bent, in fact im sure it is slightly as the bike did meet a ditch once apon a time, but not to the extent that my diaphrap covers misalign with the curves on the airscoop. I think it can be agreed that if this misalignment was doen to a bent frame it would be very visible and noticable elsewhere on the bike and i would have handling problems, which i dont. Engine mounts have been suggested to me but im not sure what to look for. Any thoughts fellow Maxers?

i think your frame is bent, dannymax here can probably get measurements for you and i think has a similar issue...

where'd u get the knee guards?

Yup, that would be my guess...your bike was in a front end collision. Look carefully for any crinkles in the downtubes or little rust lines around the welds on the front end of the bike.

BTW, I've put over 8K on my '06, which looks exactly like that, with only a slight de-cel wobble.

Thanks for your thoughts, If it was that bent tho i shlould be able to see the bend, or at least some distressed parts on the frame? thats the bit thats confusing me, there are a couple of small dents in the front down bars where the front forks slapped the frame during the accident, but no visible Bends of twists! Ill try and PM dannymax, he might copy & paste the some measurements up so i can compare.

Got the knee guards from spread on vmaxchat.co.uk forum. dont know if he has any in stock at the momnet. Try this link, it might not work without signing in to the forum tho.
http://vmaxchat.yuku.com/topic/11202/frame-infills-and-knee-plates

Dannymax, You posted while i was writing that last post!

Like yourself, I have ben riding the bike and its fine. Im not bothered about a small frame bend really, its just the misaligned look of the air scoops, i cant ignore it at the momnet.

What actually drew my attention to the problem was when i decided i wanted vstack diaphram covers and went to look at the bike to consider how i might like them! I notice on your avatar you have them, they obviously fitted ok for you! Have you a closer lic of them on your bike?

Are either triple tree stops broken or dents in the upper corners of the radiator where the forks hit?

It doesn't really matter how much, dimensionally, the tubes are bent....the only fix is a frame machine or a frame replacement....both are quite expensive.

I would take the forks apart and check them for straight....you can do that yourself....otherwise, if it drives alright I wouldn't worry about it.

I've had my '06 into the low hundreds (up to 115) several times and....other than the 'pucker factor' it is fine.

Like yourself, I have ben riding the bike and its fine. Im not bothered about a small frame bend really, its just the misaligned look of the air scoops, i cant ignore it at the momnet.

What actually drew my attention to the problem was when i decided i wanted vstack diaphram covers and went to look at the bike to consider how i might like them! I notice on your avatar you have them, they obviously fitted ok for you! Have you a closer lic of them on your bike?

danny has 2 vmax's, the one with the velocity stax is not the one with the scoops problem.

I have 2 bikes Yayo, the stax are on my '99. :biglaugh:

The only issue that I've found is it's a bitch to get the carb rack out, just that little bit of room comes in really handy. And pulling the motor is a bit harder too.

Dannymax, The triple tree stops were broken, in fact the lower tree was twisted, you couldnt see it with the naked eye, but when you try to line it up with the whole front end assembly, then things just did not fit togehter! and there are dents in the upper corners of the radiator where the forks hit. Like yourself i bought the bike crashed. There are no bit dents on the frame like in the pic you posted. I replaced the front wheel as it was buckeled, new forks & triple tree. Looks like ill have to live with it. was thinking about makin new mounting holes for the scoops and reposition them over the carbs so they look in line!!!!

Jayo, both stops were broken and both corners of the radiator had dents? Wow, THAT was a pretty violent crash! :bang head:

You should be fine with the new front end & radiator checked out for tightness.....new steering head bearings also, I'm sure....right?

You could try relocating the scoops but may have clearance problems with the directionals or something else up front. :confused2:

Yeah new bearings, forgot i did those as well. I didnt get the rad checked but have been keeping an eye on it and the bike is stored on a dry garage floor and there has never been a drop of fluid under the bike so i recon the rads good.

Was moving the scoops around by hand against the frame while they were unbolted and i would only have to reposition them forward about half a centimeter for them to line up, so might get away with it. will have to investigate further!

Could the aluminum intake manifolds be on wrong, they are two different part numbers?
Another thought is if the stock rubber motor mounts are worn(probably far fetched though).
Well, it's apparent that I didn't read all the previous posts so these suggestion are probably worthless in this case. Maybe the scoop realignment is the way to go.

Back