Double D clutch question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMax-Mike

Reaction score
Im trying the dd clutch set up and i here
i should put a different pressure plate ring in so the two clutch springs stay in place and lined up. Can anyone tell me how to get this. Whould sean have it.

i should put a different pressure plate ring in so the two clutch springs stay in place and lined up. Can anyone tell me how to get this. Whould sean have it.

Sean hooked my up last July with the Double-D setup.

Haven't used the custom made retainer ring on any of the bikes we've built, sold the upgrade too, or suggested it too and it's worked just fine. The bolts won't allow the spring to shift off once in place anyway.

Sean

i should put a different pressure plate ring in so the two clutch springs stay in place and lined up. Can anyone tell me how to get this. Whould sean have it.[/QUOTE

I saw that in a different forum somewhere a while ago. One of the members was selling them there.You can prolly google search the discussion. He had to switch to a better grade of stainless I believe. His first was to soft. The big question was answered. Why do think you need one? DD on my own with 6K and no issues-stock ring. I inspected after I read that article and found everything fine.3k after DD at that point.I don't know of anyone doing this wider ring. Someone might pop in wiith s place that sells them.
Steve

so this is the first time i heard of the need for a different pressure plate ring. i thought i had all the pieces/parts lined up and would be winding up to do this mod soon, but i am concerned. is this extra piece necessary?

no i dont think so as others have said. DD works fine with what you got

No need for any extra parts...like everyone says here...just pull it apart throw it on and be done with it.
I have almost 5k miles on mine of hard riding and multiple trips @
the x-mas tree, and she still has the:

NECK SNAPPING/TIRE CHIRPING acceleration I crave.

I've seen pictures of it somewhere, long ago. Its just a bit wider than the OEM ring. Seems that there was a myth floating around that once you add the extra diaphragm spring, one could shift and get out from under the retainer.

I don't see it as being necessary. There are a TON of guys on the forum here and elsewhere running the DD mod with the OEM retainer and never had a problem with it. Probably can't say the same about driveshafts or transmissions though, LOL.

that what i was told mabdcmb and someone is making the ring for it. I would like to put my clutch back togather but if the part is offerd why not get it.

so apparantly there is a Don Smith out there that makes/made them. how to contact him to request one is the next question: http://www.vmaxchat.co.uk/DD.shtml

from what i can tell, he made them over 10 years ago. i ain't gonna bother if the guys here think it's unnecessary. good luck !

just got an email back from mr rash. $37.00 via Paypal to [email protected]. can anybody do it cheaper here? basically taking the stock retainer to a local machine shop and having them cut one that's twice as thick.

so apparantly there is a Don Smith out there that makes/made them. how to contact him to request one is the next question: http://www.vmaxchat.co.uk/DD.shtml

from what i can tell, he made them over 10 years ago. i ain't gonna bother if the guys here think it's unnecessary. good luck !

Did you ever check out the "mail archives". I have it saved in my favorites. Seems like we are doing the same stuff and asking the same questions these guys were 10 years ago. Kinda funny. http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/info.html

Don Smith seemed to be a regular on the boards back then.

which retainer are we talking about here?

Part #14. this is what compresses the spring and holds it in place

So is Rick offering retainers for Gen 2 and Gen 1 bikes?

I took a closer look at the the Gen1 #13 and Gen2 #14. They are different part numbers. I'm thinking that Mr Rash's is just for a Gen 2.

Back