double D clutch with heavy duty spring

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

speedcostsmoney

Reaction score
was wondering if you put a stock clutch spring and a pcw heavy duty clutch spring together to make the double D clutch modification, if there would be some problems with this set-up:ummm:

I've run it before and it's intense. No need for it unless you are building a very high HP engine.

Sean

I hear that the double D mod is a good way to loose second gear. Just what I've read.

I've read that the clutch is the weak point in the drive train. So if you dump the clutch on a launch it will slip some. With the double d setup, it doesn't slip and puts more stress on the transmission, the weak point being second gear. I've heard of people losing second soon after doing that mod. This is only what I've read so take it with a grain of salt.

actually i read that it's the drive rod that becomes the weak point; moreso than second gear. actually this is the first mention that i've come across that second gear is jeapordize with a clutch mod. not saying that it's not true, just can't say i've researched the mod at the in-depth detail that you prolly took it to. the correlation of guys dd'ing their clutch and snapping their rods is significant.

Drive shaft breaks more often with stiffer clutch. The first year (85), guys were snapping drive shafts on a regular basis. Guess the Japs underestimated the type of use the bike would receive. Don't know why since the bike was designed as a hot rod. This was the first fix Yamaha had to address with the Max. One of my good friends was a Yamaha dealer (Big D Yamaha) and he kept a Max as his personal bike. He used to take his wife on the Max to the Springfield Mile every year. He was a retired flat tracker... Best m/c dealer I ever saw in 55 years of riding. He sold the dealership around 1984 and retired.

If I remember correctly Yamaha replaced those drive shafts when the strengthened one came out. Might have just been on a case by case basis as not everyone was drag racing. (Just most :biglaugh:).

was wondering if you put a stock clutch spring and a pcw heavy duty clutch spring together to make the double D clutch modification, if there would be some problems with this set-up:ummm:
You'll strenghten your left hand quite a bit with a PCW spring as a second. I use and recommend two used clutch springs for street riding. Just the PCW spring is fine too, depending on how much clutch you want. Is zero slippage desirable?
I don't think Yamaha thought so. Carefull, things can break.
Steve-o

Does the DD really make a diferance to a beginner? Will I notice an improvement? I'm tuned and Jetted in at 119 HP with Jon's 4-2, everything else except for cosmetic stuff (Brace, Hoses, Screen etc.) is stock. I've heared the wrist/fingers get stronger.. And I do like given 'er from the lights.. The harder I go, the more often the Red Light goes on. But really, I'm still a Junior (Hooligan)!
Any ideas?

You can try it and if you don't like it go back to stock. It only takes less than an hour to do the mod if you go at a slow beer drinking pace. Those springs are cheap too.

Ok I have not read about both I have run both set ups. Double D sucks with the stock clutch master esp if you have to do around town and traffic riding. It is doable but very stiff also snapped a drive shaft on a 1st to 2nd gear shift a 9000+ rpm. This is coming from a guy who drives 10 sec mustangs on the street i will drive just about anything..lol. when I installed the undercut gears in my transmission(was popping out of 3rd) I went to the PCW HD clutch spring still kept the clutch plates stacked the way they are set up in the Double D and it is way easier to use and still has great control and feel. the Double D feels like a full race clutch on off engagement. if you tried running a doubled set up using the PCW and a stock spring you might not be able to pull the clutch in lol

...Double D sucks with the stock clutch master esp if you have to do around town and traffic riding. l
+1. DD'd my clutch with an additional stock spring. Driving through Daytona during Bikeweek abso-freeking-lutely sucked balls. I substituted out the stock master with one off of an FJR1300 and love love love the setup now. I would think that the manliest of men DD'ing the clutch with a PCW HD spring would be changing the stock master out for a bigger bored one just as I (one without Popeye forearms) had done when I DD'd in a stock spring.

Ok I have not read about both I have run both set ups. Double D sucks with the stock clutch master esp if you have to do around town and traffic riding. It is doable but very stiff also snapped a drive shaft on a 1st to 2nd gear shift a 9000+ rpm. This is coming from a guy who drives 10 sec mustangs on the street i will drive just about anything..lol. when I installed the undercut gears in my transmission(was popping out of 3rd) I went to the PCW HD clutch spring still kept the clutch plates stacked the way they are set up in the Double D and it is way easier to use and still has great control and feel. the Double D feels like a full race clutch on off engagement. if you tried running a doubled set up using the PCW and a stock spring you might not be able to pull the clutch in lol
+ 1 Look some one agrees with you.:rofl_200: I very much prefer the PCW for street riding & drag racing no need to change masters etc. Everything on my bike is pretty much drag race tested to see how it holds up. Nothing like dumping the clutch at 5500 to see how things work.:biglaugh:

I ran the DD w/ stock master/ ss line for the last three years but don't drag race. I don't often get stuck in stop and go traffic, but even when I did it wasn't too bad. I did add some shortie adj levers which make it tougher to pull so I am going to a PCW clutch kit this year. I'm doing some other changes so I thought it would be a good time to try.

+1. DD'd my clutch with an additional stock spring. Driving through Daytona during Bikeweek abso-freeking-lutely sucked balls. I substituted out the stock master with one off of an FJR1300 and love love love the setup now. I would think that the manliest of men DD'ing the clutch with a PCW HD spring would be changing the stock master out for a bigger bored one just as I (one without Popeye forearms) had done when I DD'd in a stock spring.

The vmax master is 5/8" which is damn near 16mm. The FJR is 14mm. I would say a master with a smaller bore makes the pull easier. I do agree that it makes the DD much easier to handle.

I've tried a few different masters. Stock, FJR, Concours, and ZX14. I prefer the ZX master when running the DD clutch.

I have considering swapping the DD for a PCW spring after this happened. I'm not blaming the incident solely on the DD mod but I believe it is one of many factors that led to it. I'm sure riding like a total asshole did not help :biglaugh:

So in a nutshell, undercut the tranny, install the bigger drive shaft and install your D2 and have at . It's only money and time, money and time.

So in a nutshell, undercut the tranny, install the bigger drive shaft and install your D2 and have at . It's only money and time, money and time.

Dont forget a heavy duty u joint and block girdle for the output shaft area. Wonder what would break first?

Latest posts

Back