drag star 4-2-1

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looked at it... Not so much...

Of course it doesn't help that he makes it, but it looks to involved and convoluted. I like that you can bolt the center stand up for servicing but I like the look of cans on the max. Whether one or two.

I personally prefer the 4-2 look.But the 4-1 provides the best scavenging.Bigger headers and collectors mean more flow,which equals more horsepower!I am at the point where I want those extra ponies!
That thing has to sound good!

Those extra large pipes have to flow more!

I personally prefer the 4-2 look.But the 4-1 provides the best scavenging.Bigger headers and collectors mean more flow,which equals more horsepower!I am at the point where I want those extra ponies!
That thing has to sound good!

Those extra large pipes have to flow more!

What's odd is that Dales exhaust got more peak HP and TQ over the Hindle/Walker 4-1 he had. Same test bike and all...:confused2:

I like the head pipes up to the muffler; doing a 4-2-1 without losing significant ground clearance has been a challenge for some other MFGRs.

The muffler can looks ugly to me. I like a real can. If that exhaust had a regular can or Carbon fiber can I'd like it a whole lot more.

It would do a good job of showing off the OTEC swingarm I'm gonna buy when I win the lottery:eusa_dance:

Rusty

I like the head pipes up to the muffler; doing a 4-2-1 without losing significant ground clearance has been a challenge for some other MFGRs.

The muffler can looks ugly to me. I like a real can. If that exhaust had a regular can or Carbon fiber can I'd like it a whole lot more.

It would do a good job of showing off the OTEC swingarm I'm gonna buy when I win the lottery:eusa_dance:

Rusty

That OTEC is sweet but I would really like to know what it weighs in comparison to the stocker...:hmmm:

I'm with you Rusty. A real can would look better/more substantial. Kerker is hard to beat! Just have to cut the center stand mounts is the problem!:bang head:

Look at some drag bikes.None will have aftermarket 4-2's.

It think that's for weight as much as anything.

That OTEC is sweet but I would really like to know what it weighs in comparison to the stocker...:hmmm:

I'm with you Rusty. A real can would look better/more substantial. Kerker is hard to beat! Just have to cut the center stand mounts is the problem!:bang head:

Its for the best scavenging.Ask a few real racers or race engine builders.I have a good friend that is both.

Its for the best scavenging.Ask a few real racers or race engine builders.I have a good friend that is both.

I'm not saying it's not but I have seen a lot of bikes dyno runs with a full 2 into 1 or 4 into 1 compared to a 2 into 2 or 4 into 2 and they aren't that far off... 1-4BHP. Weight loss can be dramatic though... I'd like to see a Ti system for the Max...:thumbs up:

I haven't had a centerstand for a couple of years now, it's been no big deal.

I put a floor jack under each front frame slider and one more under one of the center stand tabs (could just as easily use the frame if the tabs were cut off) and then jack up the front two evenly a little bit at a time and then the back. Sounds like a lot of trouble but really only takes about 5 minutes after I hunt down that third floor jack that has always seemed to grow effin legs.

I'm not saying it's not without it's hazards tho' just have to pay attention and take it easy when jacking.

Once it's up it's a hell of a lot more stable than any motorcycle jack I've used.

Rusty

It looks cool, old school, and I like the shorter pipe, but that thing has to be loud!

My understanding is that the split system 4 into 2 (or 8 into two on a V8) was better for mid range power and the 4 into 1 (or 8 into 1 on a V8) was better for top end power.

I've always had 'four into one on my bikes but on the Max I prefer the sound of the split system.

3-4 horsepower? Maybe if you drag race but for street use, who cares?

My understanding is that the split system 4 into 2 (or 8 into two on a V8) was better for mid range power and the 4 into 1 (or 8 into 1 on a V8) was better for top end power.

I've always had 'four into one on my bikes but on the Max I prefer the sound of the split system.

3-4 horsepower? Maybe if you drag race but for street use, who cares?

That's what I've seen and my point. I know the 4-1 produces better peak power but for 90% of us the midrange in town is what matters most. 4-1 on the max sounds pretty bad ass to me...:thumbs up: I just liked Dale Walker and am happy I went with him. My first call was to Marks and I received no calls or emails back to my 3 of each sent to him and Jon at UFO took 3 weeks to call me back and by then I had bought one. Thanks God!:clapping:

No regrets!
Chris

You are right about an engine with stock internals.When you start with the bigger pistons,porting,cams,carbs the higher flow exhaust will then shine. Look at PCW's website.They also put larger pipes on their high perf engines.If you are going to eat more you also need to shit more.

I Had a 1970 Trans Am that had a Herb Adams VSE 8-4-2 exhaust system on it. It was generally reffered to as a 180 degree header back then.

What was different about it was that the 2 cylinders that were 360 apart in firing were sent to the same collector.

Shit for installation but crazy top end power. You can look at the picture to get an idea of what they were trying to accomplish.

Imagine trying to install this underneath a car and retain ground clearance.

The difficulty of inistallation made this idea fall by the wayside eventually. I believe that Smokey Yunick ( a god send to the world of small block chevys) may have been the originator of this idea.

Scavenging is pure fact and it works, if done in the same order as the firing order the exhaust pulses help "pull" the exhaust gases out of the next cylinder to fire.

On the UFO and HMF the front/left & rear/right cylinders go together and the front/right & rear/left cylinders go together.

On the marks the front/left & rear/left cylinders go together and the front/right and rear/right cylinders go together. Marks also has a crossover after the collectors.

I don't know enough about the firing order on a Max to say that one is better than the other but Marks exhaust is very different from the HMF and UFO, which are essentially the same in scavenging technique.

They are all varying degrees of gain at certain RPM's and of course also sacrifices made in certain RPM's to make gains at other RPM's.

Attachments

• 180Headers-a.jpg
    180Headers-a.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 13
  • BundleOfSnakes-a.jpg
    BundleOfSnakes-a.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 9
  • dougs-headers-a.jpg
    dougs-headers-a.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 12
I Had a 1970 Trans Am that had a Herb Adams VSE 8-4-2 exhaust system on it. It was generally reffered to as a 180 degree header back then.

What was different about it was that the 2 cylinders that were 360 apart in firing were sent to the same collector.

Shit for installation but crazy top end power. You can look at the picture to get an idea of what they were trying to accomplish.

Imagine trying to install this underneath a car and retain ground clearance.

The difficulty of inistallation made this idea fall by the wayside eventually. I believe that Smokey Yunick ( a god send to the world of small block chevys) may have been the originator of this idea.

Scavenging is pure fact and it works, if done in the same order as the firing order the exhaust pulses help "pull" the exhaust gases out of the next cylinder to fire.

On the UFO and HMF the front/left & rear/right cylinders go together and the front/right & rear/left cylinders go together.

On the marks the front/left & rear/left cylinders go together and the front/right and rear/right cylinders go together. Marks also has a crossover after the collectors.

I don't know enough about the firing order on a Max to say that one is better than the other but Marks exhaust is very different from the HMF and UFO, which are essentially the same in scavenging technique.

They are all varying degrees of gain at certain RPM's and of course also sacrifices made in certain RPM's to make gains at other RPM's.

Walkers are front to back same side no crossover... He said he made up quite a few designs and got this design to flow the best and produce the best power...:confused2:

I guess I have 2 2 into 1's then!

Mark's are the same way except for the balance pipe that connects at the midpipe.

Mark

Mark's are the same way except for the balance pipe that connects at the midpipe.

Mark

The same way as UFO and HMF?

I've looked at Marks and UFO side by side and the rear down pipes on UFO's criss-cross over to join the front pipe from the opposite side of the engine, the marks rear down pipes join to the front head pipe from the same side of the engine as the rear down pipe.

Granted I've only seen tow different examples of Marks pipe and maybe they've changed?

The same way as UFO and HMF?

I've looked at Marks and UFO side by side and the rear down pipes on UFO's criss-cross over to join the front pipe from the opposite side of the engine, the marks rear down pipes join to the front head pipe from the same side of the engine as the rear down pipe.

Granted I've only seen tow different examples of Marks pipe and maybe they've changed?

That's how Walkers are... Front to back same side with no crossover...:thumbs up:

Sound pretty good... Mine sound different though as I am running his super comp cans which have different baffles. They're louder if that's possible!:surprise:

The left side front/rear headers connect at the midpipe....vice versa with the right side. The rear cylinders don't cross over like stock.

Mark

Back