Drops of oil under my driveshaft?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supervetteracer

Reaction score
89 VMAX. 16k. Just bought it. Runs GREAT. But when I put it up for the night on a couple of occasions I have sen a couple drops of oil near where the drive shaft mounts to the transmission.

Does this sound like a gasket? How had will this be to change? Is there a way that I can check and make sure that it has enough oil in the drive shaft?:confused2:

Oil Seal
93101-35085-00
$10.29

Found this on the parts fiche....but don't know how much of a job it is to get to.....it's been a LOT of years since I broke a u-joint in my 85 and had that section apart.

Morley would be a great source of info for this leak and/or fix for it.

What is Morley?

BTW: Thanks

Forum legend and resident Gen 1 guru Sean Morley. OMG! Sorry, I thought everyone knew of Sean.

Anything Gen 1, any parts you need, both new and used, Sean Morley is, or should be, your "go to" guy here. I think he's probably disassembled more Vmaxes than I've ever seen, and can answer most, if not all questions you'll ever have.

aka one2dmax. You can't go wrong with contacting Sean either through this forum, or directly at his email [email protected].

Forum legend and resident Gen 1 guru Sean Morley. OMG! Sorry, I thought everyone knew of Sean.

Anything Gen 1, any parts you need, both new and used, Sean Morley is, or should be, your "go to" guy here. I think he's probably disassembled more Vmaxes than I've ever seen, and can answer most, if not all questions you'll ever have.

aka one2dmax. You can't go wrong with contacting Sean either through this forum, or directly at his email [email protected].

Cool. I just sent him an email.

Is it engine oil or differential fluid?

Could be a few things. At the back of the engine there is a seal around the output shaft that could be leaking engine oil.

Diff fluid could be creeping up the swingarm from the differential. Check the oil seal on the end of the driveshaft. It could be a seal on the front of the diff but that is pretty rare

Could be a few things. At the back of the engine there is a seal around the output shaft that could be leaking engine oil.

Diff fluid could be creeping up the swingarm from the differential. Check the oil seal on the end of the driveshaft. It could be a seal on the front of the diff but that is pretty rare

Interesting thread. Hope I never have this problem, but if I do......
CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE TO FIND THE DIFFERENTIAL ON MY BIKE:ummm:
gotcha, Mike!:rofl_200:

Aye, I did it again.

Final Drive?
Or, Rear Axle Gear Case?

th

Oil Seal
93101-35085-00
$10.29

Found this on the parts fiche....but don't know how much of a job it is to get to.....it's been a LOT of years since I broke a u-joint in my 85 and had that section apart.

Morley would be a great source of info for this leak and/or fix for it.

Just did this. Pull back the rubber boot and start the bike on the center stand. You'll know very soon if the seal is bad. It would happen during engine removal or fighting a swingarm back into place. Use a big impact to get the middle nut off and on after pressing the cross-bar and bearings out with a 13mm socket.

Has your bike been hanging around with Harley Davidsons? :D

:rofl_200::rofl_200: BUSTED! Yes it has.

OK.... I'd like to think this was going to be an easy fix. But they never seem to be that way for me.

Just did this. Pull back the rubber boot and start the bike on the center stand. You'll know very soon if the seal is bad. It would happen during engine removal or fighting a swingarm back into place. Use a big impact to get the middle nut off and on after pressing the cross-bar and bearings out with a 13mm socket.

I'll try and do this tonight.

Latest posts

Back