Easiest/cheapest performance upgrade

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgrowc1

Reaction score
Ok i am getting my bike back in a couple days after its carbs will be re built and bike tuned up. So I want to start having fun with it. What is the easiest cheapest performance upgrade - T boost? I wanna start making the bike faster little by little. If I get T boost I def want the option to turn it off.

Any other ideas? As far as I know the bike is completely stock. I know the guy before me did nothing, not sure about the guy before that. I do have a whistle which indicates a jet kit but I cannot tell nor would I know how to.

Thanks,

tboost basically moves the punch from 6k rpms to 3k rpms. not more power on the top end though.

cheapest is going to be an exhaust/jet kit. thats still about $1000 plus installation.

you can do them one at a time tho, do the exhaust first then the jet kit.

ya T-Boost is no performance mod. As far as I'm concerned it made no difference, I'm yet to feel it do anything from 3k to 6k.

I like the option of being able to turn V-Boost off for economy when touring.

Your cheapest perf boost is either new exhaust/jets, or NOS shot.

gaetan, u know when i feel tboost. cruise at 6k RPMs in 1st gear and WHACK the throttle WOT. try it at stock vboost settings and t-boost settings. i'd say the front end wants to almost do a backflip at tboots settings

u have confirmed that its working properly? i had someone watch the servo and tap me when it started moving whiel i watched the tach and held the throttle (not while moving of course. hahah)

but anyways, yea he's right, exhaust/jet kit or NOS. i'd personally do the exhaust/jet kit first, then the NOS. at the end of the day they will probably both cost u 1000 - 1500 it seems

gaetan, u know when i feel tboost. cruise at 6k RPMs in 1st gear and WHACK the throttle WOT. try it at stock vboost settings and t-boost settings. i'd say the front end wants to almost do a backflip at tboots settings
interesting - I'll have to try that tonight see if it makes a difference. With my current misfiring problem it may not happen lol..

u have confirmed that its working properly? i had someone watch the servo and tap me when it started moving whiel i watched the tach and held the throttle (not while moving of course. hahah)
Ya I did have a look at the V-boost when I installed it. At first only the Off and Normal settings seemed to work, but after re-checking everything I could see the Vboost opening from 3k onwards.

:hijacked:

NOS system is gonna give you 40RWHP and it's 800 for the system...can't got wrong there! OR you can get an exhaust/header, morely intake/jet kit PLUS the NOS like me...haha!

Matter of fact when I dyno my bike now it say's...

TO BE CONTINUED!!!!

Forget about T-Boost. Just turn the key on, wait until the Vboost has cycled open, and before I starts to cycle back closed unplug the Vboost plug underneath the left side cover. Voila! Full-Time BOOST!

Tboost is over rated..... Been proven on the dyno that it actually hurts low and midrange performance. Yamaha designed Vboost the way they did because the engine can't use the extra fuel/air at lower rpms as efficiently as it can at >6k rpm. Torque may get very slightly higher, but HP drops with Tboost.

For your hard earned money the most efficient upgrade for performance is an exhaust and Sean Morley's jet kit. But a word of advice, BEWARE THE MOD MONKEY!!! For once you start, it is very very hard to stop. No it is nigh IMPOSSIBLE to stop!!!

HAHA mod monkey.

Well I appreciate the advice. I am looking forward to getting my bike back today or tomorrow. Carbs are getting re built and bike tuned and dealership - I know I know you guys hate those places but they have a real good tech there and I am very good friends with the GM so they take very good care of me.

Think I am going to spend my money on style mods for the time being as $1500 is a bit out my price range at the min - still a student as well as working full time. I need to get rid of some oxidization crap and get some powder coating done before I will be happy with my bike. Looks great - is an 03 with only 7k on it but some defects for sure that are annoying.

MG

mg,

thats what i did. started small. said no perf upgrades for a bit. ugh.

The absolute best and cheapest performance upgrade is the rider. Work on your clutching, shifting, launching, etc. Rider skill and technique will make or break the bike. Learn how the wring every last bit of power out of the bike and you won't need to spend $$$..... at least not as soon.

Good thought, Vendetta - Any suggestions for websites/info/tips on improving riding skill, or is it more a matter of trying things out on your own?

Find an MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) class and take it. Often
they are offered through community colleges.

The Max is a very difficult bike to get any significant increases in power from without spending huge amounts of money, and except for exhaust and jetting, or exhaust and flatslide carbs, there's pretty much nothing you can do to it in the form of a bolt on that's worth messing with.

Yamaha pretty much squeezed all they could out of this one.

Short of internal mods like headwork, cams, pistons and higher compression and more displacement I don't think I've heard of any internally stock max breaking the 145hp mark without forced induction or nitrous........

It didn't stop me tho, I've squandered a small fortune on my Max and don't regret it a bit........

Good luck with yours,

Rusty

Find an MSF (motorcycle safety foundation) class and take it. Often
they are offered through community colleges.

??? I dunno what MSF classes you took but I have taken beginner and advanced and they never teach you how to drag race

As far as articles... Dale Walker was a good write up on his site about how to race the max and you will probably find a few threads here in the track side forum (I know there is one about shifting that is quite in depth). Use the seach and do some surfin, you'll find info. If it were me, I would just start hitting the local track and meet some people. Find someone that has the skills and try to learn from them. Also, I don't know anything about you, but if you're packin a few pounds, lose them. Weight lose is one of the best upgrades, and losing it off you is cheaper than losing it off the bike. Plus, there are health benefits too.:eusa_dance:

Latest posts

Back