ECU box blow outs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
So I have had issues with my ECU blowing out sense installing my KOSO tach.

I have used two diffrent wireing diagrams, the Koso lights up fine, the only issues I have is getting the RPM's to show up and speedo working. Right now I am not too worried about that, everything else works just fine. Point being is that the Tach is wired correctly, just need to set up the speedo and rpm.

The issue is that it always blows out my ECU. So. Suggestions are welcome. What I am thinking is putting a fuse in the power wire. My concern is that blows out automaticly, its not blowing out a few hours after riding Would that cut down the current enough? Or does it only protect surges?

a fuse does not reduce current. it pops when the amount of current exceeds its tolerance. so it "protects" against surges. to draw down current you need to introduce a resistor. how much? don't know. need more info.

a fuse does not reduce current. it pops when the amount of current exceeds its tolerance. so it "protects" against surges. to draw down current you need to introduce a resistor. how much? don't know. need more info.

Thats what I thought, I couldnet think of the name of what I needed. Granted resistor is pretty self explanitory.

When you say 'blows out my ECU' are you referring to its fuse?

You don't say which Kosos unit you have fitted; I have an RX2n which was installed without any issues.

The Kosos instructions don't say that you should fit an in-line fuse in the permanent feed to the instrument but I would do this as a matter of course.
NB: This (and indeed any fuse) is not designed to limit the current in the circuit but to protect the wiring in the event of a short circuit.

If the ignition fuse blows as soon as you turn the ignition on then that would suggest that you have a dead short somewhere within that circuit.
You need to find the cause rather than try to mask the effect.

I have attached a wiring diagram for the RX2n which may help.

Re the rev counter, I took the feed from the grey wire that went to the OE counter.
It was then a case of setting the rev parameters in the unit.

An alternative is to wrap the sensor wire 22 times around the plug.

I couldn't get the rev counter to work properly when I fitted COP's so used the Kosos RPM Signal Filter (Part # BG004000). This was cable tied to the COP on #1 but need the sensor wire clip to be removed.

As for the speedo I used the Koso Mechanical to digital drive converter which fits to the OE speedo drive and plugs strait into the Koso loom.

Both of the above are available from Digital Speedo's.

Attachments

• RX2n fitting.pdf
    22.5 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back