elbow surgery?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Who had elbow surgery here? I'm wondering how long recovery was and how if any loss in strength? Stiffness, etc?

I have had elbow surgery. Probably doesnt come as much as of a suprise for some of the guys on here. Lets see I have also had both knees operated on and both ankles.:bang head::bang head:

My advice to you is to be patient. As soon as you are allowed to start moving it, move it. Keep it moving, and then when you think you are done moving it, move it some more.

Some of the stuff the physical therapist had me do was painful. Get over the pain and do it.:damn angry:

I regained 96% of my range of motion (ROM) and didnt lose any strength as compared to my left arm.

Two things that I have found that others may disagree with but have worked wonders for me.

1. Take tylenol and motrin together for pain. One of them stops the pain from ever happening and the other blocks the receptor site for pain. Between the two of them it is an awesome pain remedy without the danger of narcotic pain killers.

2. About 2 weeks post op, use warmth and cold in your rehab. Warm the joint for about 10 minutes or so, then ice for 20, two or three times back and forth. Do that a couple of times throught out the day. One of the things I found works really well is the thermipaqs
http://www.thermipaq.com/
you can keep one in the freezer and use another in the microwave.

Recovery is really dependant on you and how seriously you take your rehab. Dont be discouraged if 6 months down the road it is still not up to par. 9-12 months is reasonable for no more pain, full strength and full ROM.

Keep us updated on your progress. Hope all goes well
Cheers:punk:

All I have had done was nerve relocation in both elbows (carpul tunnel).

Sean

March 4th, 1987, 7:40pm! A 15yr old female driver with a learner's permit thought she needed to be in Wal-Mart and didn't have time enough to wait on oncoming traffic before she turned left into their parking lot. Traffic (aka: ME on my first 1985 Vmax) skidded into her left front passenger door and bounced off.

22 months and THREE (3) elbow surgeries later, I had about 93% range of motion in my right elbow, no residual pain and it would take several years more before I regained normal power in my right arm. The first surgery placed the 4 pieces of my shattered elbow in alignment and installed two stainless steel pins and some SS wire to hold everything in place. The second surgery (10 months into the ordeal) was to apply a bone graft to the still unmended pieces of broken elbow with bone material robbed from my hip. I guess I hadn't been healing at all. The third surgery (after 22 months)was only to remove all the SS pins and wire that held all the pieces together while my bones mended.

At the time, I still had my 1979 XS1100 and got on it after about 2 weeks. My arm was obviously still in a cast with elbow bent so reaching the throttle was kinda a challenge. And twisting the throttle was even quite painful. People thought I was nuts for even wanting to ride again, but for a true MC lover, there just ain't any way to stay off one.

It took me all summer until October 15th or so to wrestle a check from her insurance company and I ordered a brand new left over 85 still in the crate from the warehouse. I still have it.

March 4th, 1987, 7:40pm! A 15yr old female driver with a learner's permit thought she needed to be in Wal-Mart and didn't have time enough to wait on oncoming traffic before she turned left into their parking lot. Traffic (aka: ME on my first 1985 Vmax) skidded into her left front passenger door and bounced off.

22 months and THREE (3) elbow surgeries later, I had about 93% range of motion in my right elbow, no residual pain and it would take several years more before I regained normal power in my right arm. The first surgery placed the 4 pieces of my shattered elbow in alignment and installed two stainless steel pins and some SS wire to hold everything in place. The second surgery (10 months into the ordeal) was to apply a bone graft to the still unmended pieces of broken elbow with bone material robbed from my hip. I guess I hadn't been healing at all. The third surgery (after 22 months)was only to remove all the SS pins and wire that held all the pieces together while my bones mended.

At the time, I still had my 1979 XS1100 and got on it after about 2 weeks. My arm was obviously still in a cast with elbow bent so reaching the throttle was kinda a challenge. And twisting the throttle was even quite painful. People thought I was nuts for even wanting to ride again, but for a true MC lover, there just ain't any way to stay off one.

It took me all summer until October 15th or so to wrestle a check from her insurance company and I ordered a brand new left over 85 still in the crate from the warehouse. I still have it.

That's pretty sweet... not about you wrecking your bike and all the operations you have had to go through, but that you still have the bike. I had 2 wrist operations, both from playing rugby, and I rode with my cast on too.... if it's a nice day, you might as well be riding!

That's pretty sweet... not about you wrecking your bike and all the operations you have had to go through, but that you still have the bike. I had 2 wrist operations, both from playing rugby, and I rode with my cast on too.... if it's a nice day, you might as well be riding!

Not to hijack the thread but...
Jeff what position did you play when you played Rugby. I was inside center on my team for the Navy. Love Rugby and especially the parties after:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

I played almost any position in the back line.... I normally played fullback. I took the last year off, but I think I'm going to get back with the team's D3 side.... too old and fat and slow to try and get on the D1 team.

now here's a topic i can get into too!

played in college and play a few times a year now for various teams. played flanker mostly but also some scrumhalf. i was a massive 215lbs scrumhalf!

Broke my Fib and Tib a few years ago when I cartwheeled my XR400R... I had just bought my first street bike that summer and wasn't about to stop riding. So I would have my friends help me onto the bike (was in a walking cast with crutches and wasn't allowed to be fully weight bearing) - and would go riding. People would sure double take when they see someone at a stop sign with a cast on their leg!

Oh and I was supposed to go test ride a bike for a friend (an R6) - for some reason the people selling the bike were a little skeptical to let someone with a cast (who'd broke his leg riding), ride their test bike... :ummm: :rofl_200:

Back