Emulators and Springs or Newer Max forks or USD conversion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jon6.0

Reaction score
I have an 85 and I use it for a 12 mile commute and road trips that involve as many twisties as possible. I don't however go all that fast like I did when I was young. The most expensive part are those darn drop down triples.

Will the emulators and springs be good enough, should I find some 93 and newer forks, or should I save the coin for the drop down brackets?

Whatever forks I end up with I will have R1 calipers.

While the USD forks look sweet, I'd go the RaceTech and radials for about the same or less price. If you want the R1 calipers then it is a direct bolt on with the 93+ forks. You need an adapter (that you can buy online) to bolt them on your 85 forks and you will need a bigger rotor. If you get later model forks, something changed in the internals of the forks from 05 up, I think, so that the RaceTech stuff doesn't fit. Any ways if you want the VMax to handle better do the RaceTech springs and emulators, radial tires (front and back), solid motor mounts and optionally frame braces. Also consider getting better shocks for the back, like Progressives or Works. After that the bike will handle the twisties quite well.
Note: If you go with the 93 up forks, you need the triple clamp to go with it.

In most cases the USD's weigh more than stock and really don't offset the weight in performance. You get better brakes and such with the upgrade but I find the stockers with HH and lines to be more than up to the task. It's the shitty springs and tires that cause most of the issues IMO.

I LOVE my Race-Tech setup and wouldn't trade it for a USD system. I hate the top triple on the R1 conversions... :stickyman:

I've got a complete chromed setup for 93 and up (triples, forks). I think I even have a set of foks for 93 and up that have bent tubes (I think I have a set of triples for that set too.

I do have a few sets of 6 piston caliper adapters that we just finished up for the early forks. newer rotors (which i have) and these adapters with briaded lines and have all the braking you want. Then get a set of radials and solid mounts and you can keep the stock front end and do well.

We are nearly done making our adapters for USD front conversions that will not require changing the upper triple.

Sean Morley

That'd be a good deal! Chrome lowers are the bee's knees. :thumbs up: Plus you get the larger size forks and are able to use 4 pots without the adapter. You would have to get new rotors and such though...

While the USD forks look sweet, I'd go the RaceTech and radials for about the same or less price. If you want the R1 calipers then it is a direct bolt on with the 93+ forks. You need an adapter (that you can buy online) to bolt them on your 85 forks and you will need a bigger rotor. If you get later model forks, something changed in the internals of the forks from 05 up, I think, so that the RaceTech stuff doesn't fit. Any ways if you want the VMax to handle better do the RaceTech springs and emulators, radial tires (front and back), solid motor mounts and optionally frame braces. Also consider getting better shocks for the back, like Progressives or Works. After that the bike will handle the twisties quite well.
Note: If you go with the 93 up forks, you need the triple clamp to go with it.

I second this,

I've got a freind that went with a complete Ohlins superbike fork kit for the Max, (yes, they make one) and other than looking extremely cool he said it didn't make a significant difference in handling. I would still like to (and plan to) do upside down forks but as far as best bang for the buck I "think" like many others that good springs, emulators, rear shocks, solid motor mounts, frame braces, good wheels that will accept quality radial tires, etc...are more effective in curing handling woes than upside down forks alone.
I think on my bike the one single biggest improvement after springs front and rear were the radial tires....

Rusty

Hopefully today I'll win the bid on some R1 calipers and rotors. Then I think I'm just going to upgrade to the emulators and Ractech springs. If I want to do a USD fork in the future I'm sure one of you all would be more than willing to buy my old forks with emulators and springs already in them.

Latest posts

Back