Engine bogged down after 3k RPM?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax2extreme

Reaction score
Today I was out riding my '05 vmax just turning over 8,000 miles today. After riding about 70 miles, I heard the engine starting to bog down like it the carbs were loading up? All acceleration about 3k RPM was very sluggish and my rpm gauge was going crazy as it revved up while riding. I checked the plugs and they were running clean, but I swapped them out anyhow. Any ideas what to check for these symptoms? The bike idles just fine and seems to rev up fine when in neutral, but under load it bogs down.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've been looking for an answer for a while. I can't seem to nail anything down. What's really throwing me is that the
original plugs were good. With the tach jumping around, it sounds electrical... I'll kick this back to the top so maybe
somebody with a better idea will see it... Good Luck....

I have seen the sidestand relay do this same thing on the earlier bikes woth the anaolog ignition, dont know anout the later models. Have you checked the airbox to make sure the boots are seated right?

I have seen the sidestand relay do this same thing on the earlier bikes woth the anaolog ignition, dont know anout the later models. Have you checked the airbox to make sure the boots are seated right?

I will check this later today. I rode the bike a few days prior and it was running strong as can be. Strange, but perhaps one could have come loose. I will reseat them all and report back....

I've been looking for an answer for a while. I can't seem to nail anything down. What's really throwing me is that the
original plugs were good. With the tach jumping around, it sounds electrical... I'll kick this back to the top so maybe
somebody with a better idea will see it... Good Luck....

As to electrical, it was my aftermarket shift light that was acting weird when at high RPMs such as 5k to 6k+. Worked fine on lower RPM.

You running any type of fuel stabilizer? I had a lot of issues running startron.

which shift light?

I am running an Ecliptech shift light that is piggy backed off the RPM gauge. Been running it all season without issues.

As to fuel stabilizer, I dont run any.

Heading out now to go take a closer look at the bike....I'll report back later my findings!

Update - carb boots all on snug and filter is K&N that looks clean too. Not sure where to go from here....suggestions welcomed!

I'd run the shotgun method on the carbs. It's free and would eliminate that issue....

I just got back from a test ride with the horns and faux cover off. Ran the temp up then rode it with it all hot like before. Ran crappy then snapped loose all fast again.....Perhaps the air/fuel lines go clogged up and was my issue? Not sure, but I was going to say I'm going to just rule out this by doing the shotgun and sync the carbs all up now.....I will report back after this is done

I had that same issue at one time too. It ended up being plug wires with mine. Seem to run fine at normal temps but when I would get in traffic it would start acting up; missing, stumbling, ect. I changed the plug wires and it fixed the problem. I know there are other things it can be, but I would change the plugs, plug wires and run the shotgun. You can do these individually and see if one of them fix the issue. At least it would eliminate a lot of questions.

Just my $.02

Good luck & let us know,

Shane

I did the shotgun, but couldnt sync the carbs since my motion pro sync tool fluid all evaporated since last summer when I last tuned it. I knew I liked the mercury one better for a reason! Need to order some sync fluid now. Didnt get a chance to test ride since the shotgun, but I will warm her up to be very hot and then test ride again.

I've always thought about changing out the wires to either COPS or just some replacement RED wires to compliment the bike.

+ 1 on the wires,its happened to me also,maybe wet, maybe green:confused2:

I used Marvel Mystery Oil in place of their Proprietary Fluid. Once I had the amount balanced
between tubes it works great and I have a nearly endless supply of cheap fluid if needed..

Well, still awaiting replacement fluid for my motion pro carb sync, but the bike is back to running normal. Rode it hard for 40 miles yesterday and not one glitch. I think one of my carb circuits must have been clogged and it freed up on its own.

Thanks all for your insights anyhow,

Mike

Back