Engine smokes right after start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madmax1961

Reaction score
When I started my bike yesterday, it produced blue oil smoke for few seconds after start. Not much, but noticable. Then everything normal. After being shut down for few hours the same happened again. No abnormal engine sounds whatsoever and all seems normal after these first few seconds.
Is there any known reason for this (reaching far here), or maybe I'm just noticing first now? Should I look at something obvious before rebuilding the engine?:ummm:

Sounds like it could be work valve seals. Probably not anything I would rebuild yet if you can live with the smoke. You might be able to do an engine clean and flush - I think BG products makes an additive you can flush the engine with.

Sean

now that yu mention it, my bike has been doin the same thing.

small puff of smoke at startup. i just switched to rotella t 5- 40 syn.

i only have 2800 miles on my bike:ummm:. maybe i should go bake 2 dino oil 4 awhile?

now that yu mention it, my bike has been doin the same thing.

small puff of smoke at startup. i just switched to rotella t 5- 40 syn.

i only have 2800 miles on my bike:ummm:. maybe i should go bake 2 dino oil 4 awhile?

My bike did this one time when it was just breaking in. Maybe 400 miles on it. I chocked it up to having just unloaded it from my P/U truck. I thought maybe oil had sloshed while sitting. It's the ONLY time I've seen it.

I run Rotella 5-40 with no smoking issues.

Chris

Running the Rotella myself. No problems that ive seen. none of my harley buddies have said anything about smoke when they were behind me. ...... lol.

Ya i have to go with Sean. I had the same issue, new valve seals and badda bing no smoking, not a big deal unless it proceeds to smokes all the time.

He has a 2005. Shouldn't be having these type of problems, (valve seals, etc) yet. How many miles does the Max have?

little smokin' never hurt a motor, +1 with sean...

when it starts blowing smoke all the time, thats a different issue

Well, I know my bike is an 85 but it does only have just over 6000 original miles on it. I dont know his case but there very few things that would cause the blue smoke at start up. I would rather it be valve seals then bad rings or they didnt seat right on break-in. I hope he figures it out. Roy

you can test to see is its a ring, compression test and then squirt in a little oil and see if it goes up. But if no other issues with the bike in performance or chg in it i would have to lean towards the valve seals. but cant hurt to do a comp test....

low miles on an old bike is actually worse for it then one that is ridden regularly.

Sean

+1

Mine's an '86 with 45,000 miles, and it's never smoked yet that I've seen. It's very possible that your seals hardened and started cracking from sitting around..

Well, it has stopped this...
Only did this smoking for few startups, then quit. I added about 1/8 qt of oil to have it precisely on the upper mark. Now I can monitor oil usage accurately (think I didn't fill right up on oil change this spring).

Latest posts

Back