Engine transported at a 45 degree angle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimDromi

Reaction score
I am swapping a 1998 VMAX engine into my Yamaha Rhino - just for fun.

To transport the Rhino, I will need to winch it up on the back of my tow vehicle. Due to space limitations, the Rhino will have to be transported at a 45 degree angle. This means that the engine will be transported at a 45 degree angle, with the front end facing down.

Here is my dumb question: For you engine builders, will this cause me any oil flow problems when I start the engine, after it is on the ground?

Thanks,

Jim

Vmax motor in a Rhino?

That would be freaking badass, please post progress!

Just thinking out loud here.
I don't "know"
but Tilted forward I doubt it. Might get the bottom of the front two cylinders wet with oil and get some smoke on startup perhaps? Or far enough and maybe oil could overcome the oring where the starter poke through? But I doubt 45 will get the oil that far.

Just visualize your oil level at 45 and you can see maybe where its going to go.

The only time I've ever had small engines act weird from this is like flipping a lawn mower 90 sideways so I could sharpen the blades. Oil would then find its way past the rings or valve seals and come out the carb.

If is a major concern could always doing an oil change in the process... Give it a partial fill after taking out the old oil then top it off to the the fill level when you arrive at the destination. I would think oil vs potential damage the oil is definitely cheaper.

Just an idea, when it comes to if what you are could actually harm the engine I have no clue.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Vmax motor in a Rhino?

That would be freaking badass, please post progress!

Here is link on Rhinoforum, for the build. I am using a Skidoo tranny for a divorced transfer case. This will allow me to retain 4wd. The Skidoo tranny has LO, HI and reverse gear. You may have to sign up to see the pics.

http://www.rhinoforums.net/engine-swap/39541-vmax-engine-skidoo-tranny-swap.html

If it works well, I may do another one that is just made for speed.

Thanks,

Jim

I like the Vmax engine in a Rhino Idea, I'll be very interested to see and hear it once you get it done.
And you came to the right place for Vmax info, there are some Very knowledgeable Vmax wrenchers here.

Back