Ethenol?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnclePhilthy

Reaction score
Pulled up to pump yesterday, after that lil' light on the 'dash' says to do so... About halfway through the fillup. I notice a sign on the pump that stated "this fuel contains 10% ethenol"...

Is this stuff going to have any negative affect on my Precious's mill?... I see more of it around, and just wonder if it's ok.... So far, I've seen no noticable performance diff, in normal street riding....

Thanks, Philthy

Pulled up to pump yesterday, after that lil' light on the 'dash' says to do so... About halfway through the fillup. I notice a sign on the pump that stated "this fuel contains 10% ethenol"...

Is this stuff going to have any negative affect on my Precious's mill?... I see more of it around, and just wonder if it's ok.... So far, I've seen no noticable performance diff, in normal street riding....

Thanks, Philthy

Maleko seems to think that it will cause issues but the newer maxes are capable of running up to 10% ethanol. That being said I run regular 87 in my bikes as much as possible. 89 or 91/93 is over kill and will actually cause you too lose BHP.

One tank full will not effect motor, etc..., but consistant use seems to gum up the fuel filters. I was running this fuel in my car and went through a couple of fuel filters in 20000 kilometers - the second one I took apart and it was really plugged with a milky white gunk. It was also confirmed by a couple of mechanics that this fuel will cause this.

Mike

Thanks Mike...

Today I rode in traffic for about 45 miles... and she quit 3 different times while at idle in neutral at stop lights... Restarted quickly ok...but it hadn't done that before... also noticed a few carb 'coughs' back through the air box, when I first fired it up, and was in fast idle warm up mode, before leaving the garage. Runs ok going through the gears, and at road speed... but I already can tell a noticable difference regarding the forementioned.

Going to try the seafoam treatment, and see if that helps... thought of adding a little octane booster, but that might not be a good idea according to 4gasem.

I bet I don't put any more of that crap in my tank...but it seems like more of it is showing up at our local stations lately...

Thanks guys...Phil

Thanks Mike...

Today I rode in traffic for about 45 miles... and she quit 3 different times while at idle in neutral at stop lights... Restarted quickly ok...but it hadn't done that before... also noticed a few carb 'coughs' back through the air box, when I first fired it up, and was in fast idle warm up mode, before leaving the garage. Runs ok going through the gears, and at road speed... but I already can tell a noticable difference regarding the forementioned.

Going to try the seafoam treatment, and see if that helps... thought of adding a little octane booster, but that might not be a good idea according to 4gasem.

I bet I don't put any more of that crap in my tank...but it seems like more of it is showing up at our local stations lately...

Thanks guys...Phil

I use it in my car and truck all the time. Living in IA means we see a lot of it. Never had an issue with it. I used it for over 50,000 miles in my Escape and never replaced the fuel filter in that (leased) and I have 37,000 on my current vehicle and no issues either. You probably need to sync your carbs. I synced mine 3 times whilst in break in and they were off all three times. Seafoam is your friend!

My experience with the fuel filters, etc...was about 2 years ago. Now I notice that the fuel pumps for ethanol in my area have a built in fuel filter on the filler hose.:hmmm:

Mike

Thanks Mike...

Thanks guys...Phil

Avoid Ethanol fuel on the V Max, the ethanol can melt some rubber parts in the fuel system on early models, late models probable not, because most manufacturers already are using components resistant to ethanol from many years ago.

But there is another problem....

The V Max is a carb bike, it mean that it will run lean on ethanol mixed gas

All gas engines need to run much more rich on ethanol, normally on engines with fuel injection the computer will automatically enrich the engine if it detect a lean mix in the oxygen sensor, but the V-max is a carb bike, it will need a complete carb re-tune to run on Ethanol.

Also the MPG will decrease if you run any engine with Ethanol.

'preciate that info...think I'll be draining the tank and carb bowls first thing tomorrow morning.... DAMN!!!!!

Whataya consider an 'older' one?...this one is a '00 ... with 37 hundred and a few on the odometer.

I did notice that it seemed to run a little hotter on the temp gauge then before this F'Up... that could also point to a leaner mixture... But it was in stop n' go traffic a lot, with air temp around 81 (don't kill me guys! It'll be much cooler by the coming weekend)...so I just considered the rise on the temp gauge to be fairly normal....

Live n' learn, I reckon.... FORNICATE!!!!!!!!!!

'preciate that info...think I'll be draining the tank and carb bowls first thing tomorrow morning.... DAMN!!!!!

Whataya consider an 'older' one?...this one is a '00 ... with 37 hundred and a few on the odometer.

I did notice that it seemed to run a little hotter on the temp gauge then before this F'Up... that could also point to a leaner mixture... But it was in stop n' go traffic a lot, with air temp around 81 (don't kill me guys! It'll be much cooler by the coming weekend)...so I just considered the rise on the temp gauge to be fairly normal....

Live n' learn, I reckon.... FORNICATE!!!!!!!!!!

Alcohol runs cooler than petrol... :whistlin:

They use alcohol as a anti knock additive/octane booster. It says right in the owners manual what is proper fuel. Not saying it won't clog fuel filters, just saying that they designed the components to tolerate up to 10% ethanol.

Alcohol runs cooler than petrol... :whistlin:

That's correct, a propely tuned engine will run cooler, but a lean one will run hotter anyway.

They use alcohol as a anti knock additive/octane booster. It says right in the owners manual what is proper fuel. Not saying it won't clog fuel filters, just saying that they designed the components to tolerate up to 10% ethanol.

Yes, alcohol is a very good octane booster, that's why racing and FI guys use alcohol to avoid detonation.

The problem is that the V-max already run a little lean from factory, if you lean more using ethanol fuel, the difference can be noticeable, specially at idle, low an medium RPM.

Anyway, there is not need to panic and drain the tank, in 100 miles you will need to fill the tank again, simple try to avoid to use ethanol in the future.

On other engines with fuel injection, the computer control the mixture and the user don't experiment any noticeable difference, except a reduction of the MPG.

Last edited:
We've been gifted with 10% ethanol gas in the Gulf Coast for a couple of years now. It has never caused me any problems at all nor I have I seen a difference on my air fuel guage.

E-85 (85% ethanol) would be an entirely different matter I would think.

Rusty

OK Y'all...thanks to all, for the info you've graciously supplied, I have cancelled the 'panic mode'... Didn't drain the tank and carbs, but will in the future try to avoid using any mixtures if at all possible...

Likely the stalling factor is related to carbs out of sync...never been done to my knowledge...that and it's likely running a little on the lean side since relieving some back-pressure when I drilled out the baffle plates....

Running a little hotter...likely due to the lean mix, first time I ever really had it stop and go traffic for an 'extended period of time'... Going to be installing a manual fan switch for future city riding on warmer days...and have it parked until I get to the carb maintainence...

I sure am in major love with this lil' scooter, and was worried I may have hurt it by using a bad fuel...

Y'all take care, have a great coming weekend, and know that I sure appreciate all of you and your help and advise... Yer Uncle Philthy Loves ya!!

Phil, in warm and sunny Odessa FL....

Latest posts

Back