Everyone please read!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats scary, makes me want to walk around the shop in a gas mask!
I wonder if that was chlorinated brake cleaner?

That was either an old can or an old article - tetraC has been banned for at least 10 years now. Phosgene gas is bad stuff - it was called "nerve gas" during WWI. It can also be reproduced by exposing refrigerant to open flames. Glad to see you post this - a simple project can turn deadly. Better safe than sorry. We all need to know what chemicals we are exposed to & be sure to use them with adequate ventilation. Modern non-clorinated brake & carb cleaners sure don't work as good as they did in the old days, but at least we aren't exposed to those chemicals any more. MSDS (material safety data sheets) are available online - lots of info available. I just checked my parts shelf -I can't believe all the old cans of crap I have laying around - I need to clean everything out out & start fresh. Good post Kaboom !

THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME , LIGHT HEADED & DIZZY AFTER HEATING BRAKE CLEAN & CARB CLEAN ! JUST NOT TO THAT EXTENT ! BUT WHEN HEATED IT FEELS LIKE IN TAKES THE AIR WRIGHT OUT OF YOUR LUNGS ! THAT LOOKS LIKE A CAN OF CRC BRAKE CLEAN THAT I USE EVERYDAY ! I JUST PRINTED THIS OUT & WILL GET BACK TO YOU GUYS TOMORROW !...:punk:

I am glad everyone is reading this.....

Just something I never really thought of.....

Really hate to think about how lucky a LOT of folks.....myself included have been..

We used to heat up solvents to make them clean better.....YIKES!!!!

That was either an old can or an old article - tetraC has been banned for at least 10 years now. Phosgene gas is bad stuff - it was called "nerve gas" during WWI. It can also be reproduced by exposing refrigerant to open flames. Glad to see you post this - a simple project can turn deadly. Better safe than sorry. We all need to know what chemicals we are exposed to & be sure to use them with adequate ventilation. Modern non-clorinated brake & carb cleaners sure don't work as good as they did in the old days, but at least we aren't exposed to those chemicals any more. MSDS (material safety data sheets) are available online - lots of info available. I just checked my parts shelf -I can't believe all the old cans of crap I have laying around - I need to clean everything out out & start fresh. Good post Kaboom !

No tetraC but perchloroethylene is not much better......

I cleaned out my Dad's garage after he died....

Did you know you could buy DDT in brown glass bottles???:ummm:

Because he's a guy......

We all think it will get better.......

Until it doesn't

And there you have it KaBoom, the root of many of our problems!

How many times have you said, or thought,

"We heat this stuff up all the time............."

"Hell, been doing it this way for years, nothing 's ever happened........"

"I know I should have rubber gloves on with this shit but they make my hands sweat........"

"I don't have time to read the friggin' can, I gotta get this done........"

I rec'd. COD training (cause & origin determination) as part of arson investigation and the amount of deadly and explosive stuff that's under your kitchen sink would scare you!

Some household furniture used to be made out of materials that were almost explosive when exposed to fire, some glues release highly toxic gases.

The point is heat and fire can create very deadly substances from seemingly harmless products......I hate respirators as much as the next guy but man, a little comfort isn't worth dieing for!!

Nice post Kyle, we become too complacent and need to take that extra minute....it's worth it!

I'M HOME FOR LUNCH & THE PICTURE IN THIS ARTICLE IS A CAN OF CRC BRAKE CLEAN , FROM A NEW CASE WITH THE EXACT LABEL ON IT !...:th_skullsmilie::rip:

I'M HOME FOR LUNCH & THE PICTURE IN THIS ARTICLE IS A CAN OF CRC BRAKE CLEAN , FROM A NEW CASE WITH THE EXACT LABEL ON IT !...:th_skullsmilie::rip:

Thanks for checking!!!!!

I just checked my can of Break Free Powder Blast....perchloroethylene.......

I guess the lesson here is solvents can be BAD NEWS....

Read the label.....

Of course.....that can be said about just about everything.......:confused2:

Really good post, Kaboom, and you can bet I'll be checking the labels on all the solvents and automotive chemicals in my garage...I think the guy waited a bit too long before hitting the hospital, but I would probably have done the same thing.

Back