Exhaust gas temp gauges?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxcruiser

Reaction score
Coming from my experience with snowmobile racing, one of the important tuning tricks is to istall exhaust gas temp gauges in each head pipe of the exhaust. Used to tune the carburators of a 2 stroke engine to be insync in jetting and to monitor for lean spots at varied throttle positions.

My question is, do you think there would any benefit in doing this on a vmax v4 four stroke engine?

Mike

I would initially say yes. But, since compression between cylinders varies that would cause the temp readings to vary.

Coming from my experience with snowmobile racing, one of the important tuning tricks is to istall exhaust gas temp gauges in each head pipe of the exhaust. Used to tune the carburators of a 2 stroke engine to be insync in jetting and to monitor for lean spots at varied throttle positions.

My question is, do you think there would any benefit in doing this on a vmax v4 four stroke engine?

Mike

I use an infrared fluke gun when dialing in my AIRFUEL Ratio screws after synching the carbs
I can usually get all the head pipes within 8-10 degrees of each other
I dont think I would drill and weld bungs in each head pipe all depends on how much a perfectionist you are and how much you think you may gain with the cost of materails and adding to the one more thing to screw up

From what I understand about the factory exhaust system it has a place to plug in on the head pipes thats how the factory tunes them before they go out the door

I tried the infrared temp gun, and I got readings all over the place. I borrowed the gun, so I'm not sure of the quality. I also noticed you had to be very careful where you took the readings. I am pretty certain I am going to get an A/F meter with a wideband O2 sensor. I don't want it on the bike all the time, but once I get it dialed in, I'll remove it. I may try to go in on it with a few people. Anyone interested??? Get 4 people and $100 each???? It would be nice to use it for a few days for a tune up or a day at the track to record shift points, and A/F ratios, etc.
I wasnt aware of the cylinders having different compression, so that would throw off the temp numbers a bit. A perfect A/F ratio on all cylinder should give equal EG temps, but I'm not sure how easy it will be to dial in 4 carbs with 1 O2 sensor. Does anyone with a A/F meter have any input on tuning?

I don't know anyone running pryometers except in forced induction applications, most of them feel that if the A/F is taken care of the exhasut temp isn't that critical unless they're running REALLY high boost, up in the 20's

Rusty

I've seen one pyrometer setup on a vmax and it was slick. Not sure I would spend the bucks he did. It showed all 4 cylinders at once. He was getting ready to start making his own turbo system which is why he put that on.

Sean Morley

I've seen one pyrometer setup on a vmax and it was slick. Not sure I would spend the bucks he did. It showed all 4 cylinders at once. He was getting ready to start making his own turbo system which is why he put that on.

Sean Morley

you could easily get an aviation 4 cylinder pyrometer and mount it somewhere.

Latest posts

Back