Exhausting ideas for new exhaust system....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
Ok this is for you hard core guys....

I am on the fence, build my own exhaust, or purchase one already done. The reason for purchasing one would be time. I just want to ride and not have any down time really.

I am thinking stainless for exhaust if I build my own. I would love to do something lighter, but see no point really. Its not a sport bike. Though it would look cool.

I am also going to do 2 into 1 ( each cylinder will be paired to another cylinder for exhaust scavenging and then into a can on either side like a stock Max looks ) with a crossover between them. I am going to shoot for equal length headers as well. Not sure how possible it will be with the undersides of the bike.

These weren't hard, but it was a little challenging.

1107080644405_imageeditor_24_headers.jpg

So if you guys have design ideas, inputs on actual construction, valueable tuning information..... and are willing to share it with me, I ll possibly make up a proto type and test it out. If they are worth while, then maybe I ll make a few sets. Price point will be high, as quality will be all custom hand fitted work. Bear that in mind.

Thanks
Todd

PS I know I just came on here like a whirlwind so to speak. But when I do something I usually want to do it all at once. And I just picked up my last Vmax recently. So hence the reason for posting lots of ideas and thoughts on it! :biglaugh:

Wow, that's Cool.

Mark's and UFO will be hard to beat. I didn't include Kerker because you'd have to cut centerstand tabs for their 4-1. I hate that about my 89...

Buy a set , you can make a better observation from a close up / hands on feel , install & run it. Make a set later if you think you can do it better , sell the set you like the least. Good luck and post pics either way , we love pics.

Thanks guys.

I think what I might do is have a small get together and take a look and get measurements off some systems and then go from there.

Your probably right with just getting a set and then tinkering as I go.

I had Holeshots on another max and liked those, I recall they didn't have a crossover in them if I am correct.

So maybe I ll get another set of holeshots and put a crossover in it and build my own cans and start from there.

Thanks
Todd

Marks has the crossover! If you make your own take into consideration the size of the primaries vs your engine size. Too large (like the car header) will kill the bottom end.

Sean

Ok I have a question, how-about using the Kerker header pipes and fabbing a new midpipe to a blank, undrilled, flanged plate where you could bolt-up your own can of choice? (after drilling your mounting holes)

Or, just putting a slip fitting onto the far-end of the new midpipe so customers could have an exhaust can adapter/blank plate/flange (to allow configuring the bolt pattern holes to whatever can you want) & a stub slip-fit to the new midpipe?

The whole idea is to not have to cut-off your centerstand mount as you do w/the Kerker. I wouldn't care if the centerstand could only be used by placing it into position w/the bike jacked-up & the centerstand put in-place and the jack removed, but of-course the normal use of the centerstand staying mounted would be great.

I think the overwhelming opinion of the Kerker 4/1 system is good fit, great power once-tuned for it, but I am sure nearly everyone wishes they could retain their centerstands (except for the dragracers who should just go on a diet instead, you know who you are!, if you want to lose weight from the total-all-up weight of the bike & rider).:biglaugh:

The sound of the Kerker 4/1 is appreciated by everyone except your neighbors!

Latest posts

Back