External water temp guage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, shouldn't be a problem. I have an Autometer Procomp one installed in my gauge cluster and it work great. I'm pretty sure it just reads off the sender which is under the right side scoop. Others will correct me if I'm wrong I'm sure.

I fitted water temp and oil pressure gages when I acquired a separate rev counter.

Originally had capillary units but the water temp reacted too quickly to temperature changes - it would move just by accelerating! Also the capillary tube was far too long and needed shortening.

I now have SAGA V.5 stepper motor gages. A bit plasticy but the action is well damped and the switch on/ off sweeps of the dial are cool (Yes, I am a very easily pleased person!)

I also fitted LED repeaters.

I'm away for a couple of days but will post a pic when I'm back.

Old Timer
Here is a thread I started with the custom gauges I set up.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=12490

Since this thread I replaced the water temp gauge with a mechanical, full 270* sweep temp gauge. I didnt like the small 90* sweep.
I have the extra capillary tube wrapped up in the back under the fuel pump.

If you want I can post some pics but pretty much what you see here with a different middle gauge.

I'm using the autometer procomp gauges. Mechanical on the oil pressure and Electrical on the water temp.

Attachments

• gauges.jpg
    gauges.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 58
Thanks Fargo , that's pretty much what I had in mind...hope you dont mind me copying your work...:biglaugh:

Thanks Fargo , that's pretty much what I had in mind...hope you dont mind me copying your work...:biglaugh:

Give me a shout and I will see if there is anything I can hook you up with.
Cheers
PS Guess I should clean out my inbox
PSS You are NOT going to find a 1.5" electrical, full sweep temp gauge.
If you are just replacing your stock and using a 2 1/16 gauge then full sweeps are a plenty, that is if you are concerned with full sweep or not?

I'm using the autometer procomp gauges. Mechanical on the oil pressure and Electrical on the water temp.

KJ , what size are those gauges ? Looks like a nice clean set-up...any troubles with wiring/hook up ?

I'm kind of interested in replacing the stock temp gauge with a "real" one, like, with numbers instead of "hot" and "cold". Dummy gauges drive me nuts

So KJ you had to re-thread the sender hole for the new aftermarket one? I remember the capillary one I used on my truck came with like 4 different thread adapters.

I'm kind of interested in replacing the stock temp gauge with a "real" one, like, with numbers instead of "hot" and "cold". Dummy gauges drive me nuts

So KJ you had to re-thread the sender hole for the new aftermarket one? I remember the capillary one I used on my truck came with like 4 different thread adapters.

It came with adapters, but non fit right. Me being the impatient type, got pissed, pulled the manifold and ran a tap through it so the sending unit that came with the gauge would fit. It seamed like it went in a little further than the stocker, so I put a couple of washers on it to back it out. It may have been just fine without, but I didn't want to take the chance with restricting the liquid flow.

If you use the stock sending unit, when it warms up to temp, the gauge will be pegged. Those who are electrically inclined can probably figure out a way to reduce the ohms to get it in check so you wouldn't need to use the sending unit that came with the gauge.

Do you happen to remember what thread you had to use to make it fit? I don't own a tap/die set. I could probably borrow one from work, but Autometer has loads of different adapters available if you know what thread you need. The table of threads/torques in the service manual is blank in the "thread" box for "thermostatic switch"....no luck there.

Do you happen to remember what thread you had to use to make it fit? I don't own a tap/die set. I could probably borrow one from work, but Autometer has loads of different adapters available if you know what thread you need. The table of threads/torques in the service manual is blank in the "thread" box for "thermostatic switch"....no luck there.

Lemme rummage though the toolbox and I'll tell you what it is. hell I'll even send it to you, I don't need it anymore.

Any luck with the threads? Seems autometer(and just about every other brand) uses a 1/8" NPT sensor for electric gauges. So the size was right, just the threads didn't match? Looks there's a BSP thread standard that europe/asia use, which isn't quite the same as NPT.

Just to be clear, you used the old sensor's hole, not the fan switch spot, right? The fan switch hole is a M16x1.5, but the sensor hole looks considerably smaller. I'm not at home with the bike now, so I can't go look and figure it out.

Don't bother with mailing it, I can get one from work--thanks for the offer thou. The marina is pretty much closed up for the year so I don't imagine anybody will care if I swipe the tap/die set for a few days, or worst case, I'll go buy a 1/8" NPT tap.

Keep us posted as I'll be doing this mod in a month or so , as soon as the snow flies...

I just ordered this gauge off eBay at the recommendation of MaxMidnight.
It's coming all the way from Taiwan, but the one store that sells them stateside didn't have the red version(since my speedo and tach have red LEDs in them). You can get this gauge in either red or white lighting, and F or C units. The good news it shipped Express, and less than 6 hours after I paid for it I got a tracking number. Most people who left feedback reported getting it in less than a week, some as low as 3 or 4 days.

As I found, gauges vary very widely in price. I found electronic temp gauges as cheap as $15 shipped, and I saw some as pricey as $250. This SAGA gauge was about $80 shipped, but it's also programmable for alerts, peak replay, and does the cool "sweep" self-check when you turn the key on. I also like this one since it has a reasonable scale...a lot start at 120 and go up to like 340....far hotter than this motor will ever run, so you'll only use like the first quarter of the sweep. This one starts at 70 and goes to 240...lot more "useable" area.

In any case, it looks like any 2 1/16" gauge (52mm) will fit in the stock gauge's spot no problem.

I'll do a "How-To" write up when it comes in next week, so stay tuned.

Any luck with the threads? Seems autometer(and just about every other brand) uses a 1/8" NPT sensor for electric gauges. So the size was right, just the threads didn't match?

It seemed close, the Autometer threads didn't match up. I just ran a tap through it, put a washer on the sensor, then wrapped it with teflon tape and put it on.

Back