• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Fazr

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could get a decent Vmax for that same price. They were known as a 1/2 max.700cc and not that dependable.

Not that dependable? Did you ever own one? They are extremely dependable when compared to the Vmax. They take 10 times the abuse before breaking. Even run low 12's to high 11's depending on the rider (especially with a lightweight rider). Very easy and cheap to put on radial wheels and far better brakes. Lighter and more nimble then the Vmax. Almost more fun to ride for short trips. ESPECIALLY more fun when you put the 87/88 FZR1000 into them. Then it completely wipes the Vmax in power to weight ratio.

Not too bad looking a Fazer though I think it looks like it may have been repainted (the original paint would have been more metallic). $2500 is in the ball park on price for a very clean version. Typical prices are $1500-$2500 with the very few going over that amount and sometimes a decent one going below.

Not that dependable? Did you ever own one? They are extremely dependable when compared to the Vmax. They take 10 times the abuse before breaking. Even run low 12's to high 11's depending on the rider (especially with a lightweight rider). Very easy and cheap to put on radial wheels and far better brakes. Lighter and more nimble then the Vmax. Almost more fun to ride for short trips. ESPECIALLY more fun when you put the 87/88 FZR1000 into them. Then it completely wipes the Vmax in power to weight ratio.

Not too bad looking a Fazer though I think it looks like it may have been repainted (the original paint would have been more metallic). $2500 is in the ball park on price for a very clean version. Typical prices are $1500-$2500 with the very few going over that amount and sometimes a decent one going below.
I owned one of the first ones that came out-1986 california model. FAST? POS and I'm 160lbs.
Almost ANY bike is dependable compared to a Vmax.
I was building suzuki gsxr 7/11's in 1986 and nothing could touch them. I still have 3.Understandable if you've only gone 10's in the 1/4 but my sisters '86 cbr 600 would leave it in the dust.Sorry 1987 hurricane.

Last edited:
I don't want to get into a pissing contest, but I thought the first year for a Hurricane was 1987, and the Hurricane became the CBR600 by sales name later.

From the Honda USA website:
It all began back in 1987, when the Honda Hurricane® 600 swept across the sport bike landscape, blowing away every other machine in the middleweight class.
http://powersports.honda.com/experience/articles/090111c0811a7d12.aspx

You are right FM it was a 1987 white with 2 red stripes cbr 600.I think the next year '88 was red white and blue.

You are right FM it was a 1987 white with 2 red stripes cbr 600.I think the next year '88 was red white and blue.

Yeah, those things were very popular in FL. I had several friends who bought the '87/'88 Hurricanes new. A very decent bike. Another of my MI friends bought a slightly-used F2 CBR600 Honda which he still has.

I well-recall the GSXR 750/1100 being released in '86, top of the heap. One of my friends had a Ninja 1000 '86 that he bought w/a Superbike Mike Keyte cyl. head and a D&D exhaust on, that was a fast one but he had to run VP fuel in it. A year later two of my friends bought new bikes, a Hurricane 1000 and the first-year FZR1000. The FZR1000 was the schizzle, he kept it a year, and I bought it from him, and still have it. That was the era when the frames and suspension caught-up w/the engines in development, and stock bikes by the end of the decade (1980's) could hit 170+ and handle. The VMax cruiser was left in the dust in some ways, but the reputation it had earned still gave it street cred. Just ask Bill Warner, 'back in the day.'

A good article mentioning Bill's VMax obsession: http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/b...the-fastest-motorcycle-rider-on-earth-6393377

Yeah, those things were very popular in FL. I had several friends who bought the '87/'88 Hurricanes new. A very decent bike. Another of my MI friends bought a slightly-used F2 CBR600 Honda which he still has.

I well-recall the GSXR 750/1100 being released in '86, top of the heap. One of my friends had a Ninja 1000 '86 that he bought w/a Superbike Mike Keyte cyl. head and a D&D exhaust on, that was a fast one but he had to run VP fuel in it. A year later two of my friends bought new bikes, a Hurricane 1000 and the first-year FZR1000. The FZR1000 was the schizzle, he kept it a year, and I bought it from him, and still have it. That was the era when the frames and suspension caught-up w/the engines in development, and stock bikes by the end of the decade (1980's) could hit 170+ and handle. The VMax cruiser was left in the dust in some ways, but the reputation it had earned still gave it street cred. Just ask Bill Warner, 'back in the day.'

A good article mentioning Bill's VMax obsession: http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/b...the-fastest-motorcycle-rider-on-earth-6393377
Released in 1985.---
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/modelhistorytimelines/Suzuki-GSXR750-1985-1987-Page1.htm

The tanks were flatter on top and no brace on the forward lowers, longer swingarm,side panel were switched from 4 inlets to 1 cowl.Sold in Canada but not the US.
I built a 1986 gsxr 750 highly modified that killed my best friends FZR1000. In my photos I have 3 1986'87 gsxr 1100+. The '87 Blue in front went 202mph at bonneville.

I remember the day, just after my birthday 3 years ago.

I went 12.20's on my ex wifes Fazer which was 100% bone stock 700 cc and with me at 220+lbs (not counting gear). I would bet that the CBR wasn't much faster if any from that era. The specs actually shows the Fazer 700 as .1 tenth quicker which isn't much. The 750s' for the Canada guys (and rest of the world) is a lot quicker.

The 87/88 FZR1000 (1029) I had was running 10.20's - 10.30's with street tire which is pretty salty all things considered. The same engine in the Fazer went 10.11 with the bar but we never did get the air shifter working right while we had the slick on it. it went 10.30's without the bar with the 160lb rider and 10.80s without bar with me (on the rear wheel for me - could not keep the front end down at all).

I went 12.20's on my ex wifes Fazer which was 100% bone stock 700 cc and with me at 220+lbs (not counting gear). I would bet that the CBR wasn't much faster if any from that era. The specs actually shows the Fazer 700 as .1 tenth quicker which isn't much. The 750s' for the Canada guys (and rest of the world) is a lot quicker.

The 87/88 FZR1000 (1029) I had was running 10.20's - 10.30's with street tire which is pretty salty all things considered. The same engine in the Fazer went 10.11 with the bar but we never did get the air shifter working right while we had the slick on it. it went 10.30's without the bar with the 160lb rider and 10.80s without bar with me (on the rear wheel for me - could not keep the front end down at all).

11:38 et 1987 hurricane 600 Stock---No Comparison.

CBR600 Hurricane 1987-1990

Engine
Type 598 cc, Liquid cooled, 4 - cylinders in line
Bore x stroke (mm) 63 * 48
Stroke 4-stroke
Valves per cylinder 4
Transmission Chain
Gears 6 speed
Power (Hp/rpm) 85 / 11000
Torque (Nm/rpm) 59 / 8500
Brakes front dual disc
276 mm
2-piston calipers
Brakes rear single disc
220 mm
1-piston calipers
Tires front 110/80-17
Tires rear 130/80-17
Seat Height 810 mm
Wheelbase 1405 mm
Fuel Capacity - reserve 16,5 l
Dry Weight 182 kg

PERFORMANCE
* 11.38 sec. 1/4mile acceleration
* 144mph top speed

Cycle world
from the site you sent MCS--
The Hurricane engine redlined at 12,000 rpm and cranked out 85 horsepower at eleven grand—enough power to make the Hurricane the first 600cc sportbike to cover a quarter-mile in under 11 seconds.
Under 11 seconds means 10's.

I didn't say reliable lol. Just the only source I had right away that compared both. I asked if there was a reliable source like Cycle World that had articles about both where they actually sent a rider down the track. The problem with that even is there is a lot of variation it seems. I recall one test of the Vmax where they went very low 10's and some years later couldn't even hardly break into the 11's with one.

The Fazers advertise 94 RWHP for the 750's and we've confirmed high 70's RWHP for the 700's so in the mid 80's crank power. A little bit more power for the 700 then the CBR but the CBR is lighter by a similar percentage. Should be an excellent race with similar riders.

But, back on to the subject. These bikes are nearly bullet proof. The main weakness I have ever seen is a failed trans bearing on the sprocket side. Very pain in the ass to replace. Trans doesn't go bad very often and valves need the typical adjustment intervals. I've got a couple of complete Fazers on hand right now and around a dozen worth in parts.

I would almost bet money there are more FZX/Fazers on the Road then CBR 600 Hurricanes. That doesn't mean one is better then the other or more durable. The ones I have here in parts could all be put back together. Most of them were aquired from a guy that liked to tear them apart and restore them. All were running bikes when taken apart though the cosmetic condition of these showed most of the owners didn't care about them (yet they still ran!).

Back