Finished My First Rear Metzler!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95spfldmax

Reaction score
So I'm just putting on my 2nd rear Metzler as the RAIN F'N falls on this otherwise descent Saturday.......anyways

Two things:

1.) I've said before on this forum how I'm glad I took people's advice and ditched my Bridgstones and Dunlops for these Metzlers!! 10 times the tire easily!! I've never leaned my bike over further and with so much confidence ever before. And I haven't even done any of the other mods to improve handling further yet. They got excellent milage too. I need to look it up but easily over 5000 miles with limited "enthusiasm".

2.) When I had my tire mounted this morning my friend that did it at his bike shop while I was right there said that the balance was WAY off. So much so it would need way too many wieghts to come close to balancing. His machine was reading 4" of weight on one side and 5.50" on the other!! We noticed that there were NOT any weights on the rim from the previous tire. We figure that one prob had the same problem. That's way too many weights for them all to fall off? I can't honestly remember. Have any of you guys had any problems balancing your Metzlers? Nothing wrong with my rim that I know of.......nice and smooth throughout the MPH spectrum.

5000 miles even seems pretty low. I've got around 4k on my rear and I'd put it still at about 50%. I've got about 12k on the front, which is maybe 50% also.

The bike sees 100+ pretty often and is generally driven fairly hard. I try to keep the burnouts to a minimum but v-boost is used frequently.

As for the balancing....sometimes a tire can be wildly off balance, but something that bad I'd think would cause noticeable vibration or wobble on the bike. If it drives smooth and steady, I wouldn't be too concerned.

If it is off that bad have the take tire off wheel remount 180 degrees from the last mount. I have had to do that and when we did less than 1 oz of weights where needed.

when i mount tires i like to not assume the heaviest point is the valve stem and truly check via a balance stand. them mount the light spot indicator on the tire to that. maybe that'd help mike?

Yes it happen to me with a rear Metzz 170-80-15

After many infructuus trys of balancing, the mecanic ask me if my wheels was powder-coated. (answer is NO)

After a naked wheel balance test, the mecanic came to the only issue way out = That metzz was a defect and install another one.
Then it was OK.

I use dyna beads in mine with no problems. 5k miles seems low to me also. I ride 2 up and my Metzlers are just starting to show wear at 7k miles. I bet that I can get another 7 out of them they way they look!

Latest posts

Back