First impressions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
Long story, bail now if you don't want to hear me ramble.

It all started 18 years ago. It was a few weeks before my 12th birthday. I went to the bike shop with my dad as he was looking for a replacement for his KZ 1300. Our eyes fell upon the VMAX for the first time and it was like nothing we had ever seen. AWESOME. My dad asks the salesman about it. Saleman says this is not your average bike. We've had more than one person buy one and bring it back within a week. Dad asks why, expecting some kind of mechanical issues. Saleman says no, not at all. They just weren't expecting it to be as fast as it is. That was all it took. There was a brand new VMAX at the house 3 days later.

I spent a lot of time on the back seat of the new MAX. Its true, it was not like any of the bikes he had before. I definitely don't remeber holding onto the grab rails of the sissy bar while doing a wheelie at 60mph+ on any of the other ones. Scary when your a kid, but thats what made it fun.

My dad is no longer around and neither is his MAX. I have recently been searching for a bike of my own and decided I had to get one.

Found one of Craigslist. It's an '06 with 2K miles. Paid $7K for it. Picked it up this Saturday. It was a 560 mile round trip journey. My wife and kids decided to go with me. We woke up at 4:45 AM and hit the road at 5:15. Made it to the sellers house by 10:15AM as promised.

We all get out after the long ride and walk up to the max sitting in the driveway. The seller was inside the house. I ask my 3 yr old son what he thinks. "Cool dad, really, really cool. Can I ride it with you?" I think it may be a few years before he jumps on with me, but I can't wait till he does.

Brought the bike home on an 16' trailer for a mini excavator. Had to wrap the bike with plastic because I knew it was gonna rain. We got hid with severe rain 90% of the way home. Luckily, when the brand new tire on the trailer exploded in the tunnel on the turnpike it was one of those brief windows of time in which it was not raining. I at least got to stay dry for that. And I at least got a replacement tire for free once I got back since the shop who sold said it must have been defective to do that with less than 600 miles on it.

All in all I love the bike so far, only bad part is that it's been raining since I bought it.

Still, can't wait to get on the road with it and hopefully some day my son will be riding it by himself. That would be "really, really cool."

Congrats! Sounds like you got a great deal. Lots of folks around here happy to help with any questions you may have.

BTW, where are the pics? :eusa_dance:

Great story and glad to hear you and your family (VMax included) made it home o.k.

Jeff

I absolutely love my 06. I put 22,000 miles on it already! Still running strong!
Cept now... I swear I can hear my Chevy whisper asshole, every mourning when I walk by to get on my Max.

Congrats on your new ride. And welcome to the forum.
Have Fun and Ride Safe!

Great story, good read and congrats on your new max!

Looks like life will turn full circle with your son soon sitting on the back of your max as you did with your dads - again great story!

Mike

That is a great story!Now its your turn to instill that same awe of the Max in your son and one day he will be telling a similar story!

Way to keep the family tradition !! :clapping:

Congrats on your new VMAX. But take the boy for a ride. Sit him on the tank and put around a parking lot with him he will be hooked from that day on.

Long story, bail now if you don't want to hear me ramble.

It all started 18 years ago. It was a few weeks before my 12th birthday. I went to the bike shop with my dad as he was looking for a replacement for his KZ 1300. Our eyes fell upon the VMAX for the first time and it was like nothing we had ever seen. AWESOME. My dad asks the salesman about it. Saleman says this is not your average bike. We've had more than one person buy one and bring it back within a week. Dad asks why, expecting some kind of mechanical issues. Saleman says no, not at all. They just weren't expecting it to be as fast as it is. That was all it took. There was a brand new VMAX at the house 3 days later.

I spent a lot of time on the back seat of the new MAX. Its true, it was not like any of the bikes he had before. I definitely don't remeber holding onto the grab rails of the sissy bar while doing a wheelie at 60mph+ on any of the other ones. Scary when your a kid, but thats what made it fun.

My dad is no longer around and neither is his MAX. I have recently been searching for a bike of my own and decided I had to get one.

Found one of Craigslist. It's an '06 with 2K miles. Paid $7K for it. Picked it up this Saturday. It was a 560 mile round trip journey. My wife and kids decided to go with me. We woke up at 4:45 AM and hit the road at 5:15. Made it to the sellers house by 10:15AM as promised.

We all get out after the long ride and walk up to the max sitting in the driveway. The seller was inside the house. I ask my 3 yr old son what he thinks. "Cool dad, really, really cool. Can I ride it with you?" I think it may be a few years before he jumps on with me, but I can't wait till he does.

Brought the bike home on an 16' trailer for a mini excavator. Had to wrap the bike with plastic because I knew it was gonna rain. We got hid with severe rain 90% of the way home. Luckily, when the brand new tire on the trailer exploded in the tunnel on the turnpike it was one of those brief windows of time in which it was not raining. I at least got to stay dry for that. And I at least got a replacement tire for free once I got back since the shop who sold said it must have been defective to do that with less than 600 miles on it.

All in all I love the bike so far, only bad part is that it's been raining since I bought it.

Still, can't wait to get on the road with it and hopefully some day my son will be riding it by himself. That would be "really, really cool."

Welcome! I'm an '06 owner as well!

Back