First time on the dyno...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tore into everything today. The PAJ2 jets that I was told were replaced by the mechanic at the dealership turned out to be still the same size as stock, 170.
My main jets were 162.5's. I took them out and replaced them with 152.5's. Also found out that 2 of the spark plugs hadn't been tightened down by the dealership. Didn't touch the needles. Set the mix screws at 3 turns out. It seems to run fine to me. I've read almost everything on this site that there is to read about tuning the Vmax. It doesn't stumble at idle, throttle response is stellar, when I got WOT from 4K rpm in 5th gear, it's smooth and pulls hard.

The best test for me is going to be putting it on the dyno again. If only it didn't cost $30 damn dollars for 3 runs.

I also noticed this little problem....look at the picture I attached to this post. The tube that's visible is the one that connects to the bottom of the airbox in Morley's kit. See the shit in the tube??? WTF is that?!?!??!?! Whatever it is, can NOT be good!

Attachments

• IMG00081.jpg
    IMG00081.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 23
That's normal. It's the crankcase breather hose. Next time you have the air box off, give it a couple of long shakes and some foam/shit will come out. It might be time to change your oil. What kind is in there now?

I assume that it's Yamalube, as it was done by the dealer. I'm not too sure that I'm believing them though. Especially since I just found out a few days ago that they closed their doors last week. LOL
When I hit the highway after I changed everything today, I hammered through the gears. My oil light came on. So yeah, I think you're right. Time to change the oil ON MY OWN this time. LOL

It's no wonder they call them STEALERSHIPS!

Ok, just picked up some Rotella 15W40 and a new filter from Advance. The guys there tried to "highly recommend" that I not put diesel oil in my bike. Although they know a LOT less than everyone here does....plus my bike will spank everything that they have. LOL
Hoping to get the oil changed out on Tuesday. And maybe take it in to get dyno tested again. I sure hope it's right this time!
I also synched my carbs yesterday....or tried at least. I don't know why, but it was a BIATCH to do. I couldn't get the shit lined up for the life of me.

I also synched my carbs yesterday....or tried at least. I don't know why, but it was a BIATCH to do. I couldn't get the shit lined up for the life of me.

What sync tool did you use?
What revs did you do it at?
Did you make sure to blip the throttle and let it settle between adjustments?
Also - on mine anyway - the adjustments are really tiny - you hardly move the screws and it makes a change.

What sync tool did you use?
What revs did you do it at?
Did you make sure to blip the throttle and let it settle between adjustments?
Also - on mine anyway - the adjustments are really tiny - you hardly move the screws and it makes a change.

I used a CarbTune.
My idle was set just above 1K for sync purposes.
I did blip the throttle after every change.

It was very odd. With the idle turned up, I was able to finally get it synched. Then once I turned the idle back down, I was showing that they weren't in sync anymore. I didn't understand it.

If it all looks good at about 1200rpm, it's all fine. Don't worry about slight variations at 1k or higher. Mine's the same, and runs fine.

Ahh ok.
I'm sure the neighbors hate my guts too. I did it at about 9:30 at night.....oh well.

Yeah that's a bit late to be tuning a loud bike... I started mine yesterday and my neighbors wife truly thought it was thunder... lol Loving my Marks...

Changed the oil today(Rotella), and took it out for a spin. My clutch still is slipping in 4th and 5th gear above 4K rpms, so that needs replacing as well.

I did notice a lag in the 2K-3K rpm range. I think I was doing about 25 mph at about 2K and hit the gas. I don't think I'm tuned right yet.

Anyone....if there's a hesitation between 2K and 3K, how can I cure that? Shim the needles a bit? Or richen up my mixture (currently at 3 turns out)?

Latest posts

Back