First time to the track (1/8th mile)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

6spdbbody

Reaction score
Bike's a 99, all stock except for kerker 4 2 1. I did no front end strapping or any of that stuff, just got on the track and ran. Didn't even really do a burnout at all, did 1st time, but that's it. Started out running 2 back to back 7.6's with 1.9?? 60's. Then ran a 7.5 with another 1.9 60 @95.?? mph. Last run was a 7.4@96.? with a 1.84? 60. Each run i was coming off the line with the rpm's higher and it was hooking quite well. The temp was just over 90 degrees. I'm sure the bike has a 7.3 in it. I was short shifting as well b/c i couldn't see the tach that well and watch what i was doing, so when i saw it go past 9000 i was shifting almost right after. By the way this was my first time ever running any motorcycle at the track, gonna practice a few more weeks to see what it's really got, then do some more modding. If i can get it down to a 6.9 i'll be happy.

congrats,

id probably run a full minute with my fat ass lugging it down. You, Sean morley, and Shawn kloker oughta get along great!

Most of my passes in the 11.4-11.5's show the 1/8 right at 7.4

Pretty good runs brother.

Rusty
Thanx, so how many ppl actually got stock vmax's into the 10's??? I hear of a bunch of low 11's too, do the riders weigh nothing???

best time on my 99 was 10.98 @ 121 - that was a 1.66 60' time, front strapped, stock internals, kerker, our jet kit, and 17" rear wheel. I weigh right at 200lbs. In fact I just weighed the bike Saturday at the track and bike was 585lbs (reserve light was on) and 805 with me and the gear. The Fazer we run only weighed 450lbs!

Most of the guys running at the track with vmaxes get mid to high 11's and even low 12's depending on thier experience.

Sean Morley

I've saw some ppl strapping the fronts but really don't know what they're doing, what all you need and does it make a noticeable difference?

I bought my strap from Schnitz Racing,about $15.It bolts to each front brake caliper,then loops up over the front end.You then pull it tight with the forks compressed down all the way.It does really help to keep the front down while launching.With a strap and struts on I like to launch at 6500 rpm.Mine does not wheelie like this and get me mid to high 1.6 60ft.I am running radials though.m I can post a pic of mine after I get home in race trim.Its so low I have to put a board under the wheel for the shortened kickstand to hold the bike with out falling over.

Attachments

• IM000665.jpg
    IM000665.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IM000658.jpg
    IM000658.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
nice, i'd love to pull 60's like that, i got mine down to a 1.84 but i'm pretty sure it was a 3500 dump off line.

So far racing the 2face bike I have a best of 1.71 with no strapping. I am going to be youtubing some composite videos soon.

Sean Morley

Finally made it back to the track, not much changed, cept i run a lil' lower 7.4 this time out. Found out if i rev it too high off line it will definely bring the front tire off the ground and if u hit vboost with it still off the ground it will continue to bring it up. Kinda scary when u don't expect it. But i did have someone video tape me and it definetly has a good bit of wheel spin in 2nd and 3rd. You can actually see the tire smoking probably half way through 2nd. I didn't know it was that bad. But i'm still consistant, went 7.4's 7.5's all night with 1.8 60's. Did have a run where i mis-shifted and instead of going to 3rd it stayed in 2nd and i had to shift again and still ran a 7.5 at 93.?. That run would have definetly been a 7.3 or pretty damn close. But next on the list, front end strap and a better hooking tire.

Oh and also went with a few friends. One on a 04 919 with exhaust that was pretty consistant 7.5-7.7's. He grew up riding dirt bikes and has a lot of experience so that's about all that bikes has in the 1/8th. Other friend has a 06/7 CR450F....completely stock except for a magura throttle and it went 8.1 at 82mph. yeah a dirt bike!! He also has a YZF600R and he says the dirt bike is faster so it must be a dog. But just thought i'd share that

nah, that would probably be a big help too. But tires nearly slick now so i'll be purchasing a new one soon. Been thinking bout buying some track bite and have someone spray the tire as i roll up to the line, it'd prolly hook like crazy then.

The track should be spraying VHT down.Its damn sticky glue! What RPM did you leave the line at?I was leaving @6500rpm.Seemed to work good for mine.No bog and no spin when I dumped the clutch.I would start lower than that and work your way up till you find your sweet spot.Shift at 9500rpm too.

I also dump my clutch like i am firing at trigger. Most like to slip the clutch leaving.I don't.

Leave as soon as you see the last yellow light.Never wait to see the green!.

i've got killer reaction times. I've drag raced cars for about 6 years now, my times are usually .0?? with a best of a .002. The bike was a lil' harder but they are consistant now too, usually around .06's. This is the first bike i've ever run though. I was dumping the clutch probably in the 4000 region and it was bring the front tire so i'll try the strap and 6500 dump.

I actually havent ever did any bracket racing so i haven't worried much on my reaction times. But i have made lil' side bets with who ever i race for the first through the traps. My lt1 caprice has beat a lot of stock LS1 maro's through the traps at the local 1/8th, i always have better R/T and my 60 kills theirs so they play catch up and can't ever quite pass me.

and once again back from another trip at the track. No personal best this go around, but found out i'm really consistant, went 7.517 7.516 and 7.513 all back to back. Had a problem with my gloves tonight, was a big too big for me and the leathers were sticking to the clutch lever and i wasn't able to get it to come off line as good as usual. But that's the update, definely gonna let some air out of the tires, strap the front, and mess with the back shock before next week though. I got outrun by the 919 this week, it went 7.39.

If you are running consistant you might want to just start bracket racing it as is.

The quest for more speed can get real expensive.

Back