First time to the track (1/8th mile)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah i've been thinking about it, but i ran into a guy that has one that's got a good bit of stuff done to it (chain drive, nitrous, etc. etc.) that runs 6.12's and he gave me a lot of good pointers and stuff. He has a 93 that's got the same stuff done to it that mine does that went 7.1's.

Another update, unstrapped front went 7.443, 7.448, 7.449 (gotta start bracket racing) strapped front end, revved to 4000 dumped it, pulled a 1.777 60 and ran a 7.318, went back around dumped it at around 4400, spun pretty bad and went 7.386, so looks like i'm gonna have to go ahead and get another tire that hooks so maybe i can do some of them 6000rpm dumps i been hearing about.

I am going racing this week damn it!

I just put my DD &1/2 in.Synced the carbs,dropped the needles.Put the struts on.Now watch it rain all week.I am having trouble with my 2 stage but I'll run without it if I have to.

I went out on the highway just now.I noticed My shiftlight comes on at 135mph in 4th.Does anybody know what speed theirs comes on?Mine is at 9500 rpm.

I thought some more about it.Last summer it came on at about 120mph.

I wonder if all the top end work gives it more speed for the same rpm's?

120's is always where I have been so possibly different tire combo. 130's with venture rear.

Sean

I thought some more about it.Last summer it came on at about 120mph.

I wonder if all the top end work gives it more speed for the same rpm's?

I would think that valve float would be the first impediment to high RPM's, after that rod strength and crank strength.

I Guess the answer to your question would be yes.

You can go first tho' and let me know how it turns out :)

Later,

Rusty

the rpm's vs mph is a simple math formula and without chaning the final drive ratio by either changing tires, wheels, or gearing (internal or external) there can be no change in it. However, there are other factors like reduced clutch slip that allow more of the rpm's to be converted effectively (provided it was slipping) to change mph at any given rpm.

You shift light may simply reading wrong for whatever reason and letting you over-rev the engine.

Sean Morley

Same tire sizes as last year.Shift light set at 9500 and rev limiter at 10,000.I am not over reving it.I also have kibblewhite valve springs now,no float.I'm running test and tune wednesday night so we will see.

doesn't matter wheter it's a 200hp 1570 engine or 50hp running on 2 clyinder broke rod vmax. With same tires, rear diff, and gearing, then no clutch slippage the rpm's will be constant to mph. Now, more power will get you there sooner but rpms will be the same reguardless.

Sean Morley

the rpm's vs mph is a simple math formula and without chaning the final drive ratio by either changing tires, wheels, or gearing (internal or external) there can be no change in it. However, there are other factors like reduced clutch slip that allow more of the rpm's to be converted effectively (provided it was slipping) to change mph at any given rpm.

You shift light may simply reading wrong for whatever reason and letting you over-rev the engine.

Sean Morley

Sorry,
I misunderstood the question.
I thought he was asking if the engine would be CAPABLE of more RPM's with the headwork/valve springs being done. You're of course right about it being a simple math function of tire/rear gear and tranny numbers.

Sorry,
I misunderstood the question.
I thought he was asking if the engine would be CAPABLE of more RPM's with the headwork/valve springs being done. You're of course right about it being a simple math function of tire/rear gear and tranny numbers.

Yes, with additional headwork and stiffer valve train the engine will be able to rev higher which of course means more peak speed is possible in any one gear but it would be at a higher rpm. The porting may or may not even make the engine breath better at higher rpm's.

Sean Morley

I do not understand either.Maybe it has something to do with the new dyna ignition?

I am running it tonight.So hopefully we will see.It has run a best of 11.10 last year before the new topend.

I took it out for a test run on the highway with the struts and strap on.Started in first and shifted on the shift light the whole way up through the gears.It never lit it in fifth since I looked down and was doing about 3/4" past the 160mph mark on the speedo with no helmet.Its running good can't wait!

something isn't right then - either the speedo is off or the shift light isn't reading correctly. Even if you have a 170/80/15 metzler on (which am sure you don't) it will not reach that speed before it runs out of gear (9500rpm). you'll find out when you get to the track and get your slip with mph.

with my 190/50/17 the mph at redline is 121 give or take 2.

Sean

I'm running the same size as last year.180/55 zr17.

I think that the added horsepower is letting it cut the wind better for bigger mph number.I never did get back to the dyno after the flatslides.F***k I'm just finally geting back to the strip since last fall.

it's a solid gear thing - the trans, rear diff, and tire are all set variables. The only way it can change is with some sort of better grip (no clutch slippage). Thats why 160hp tourmaster engines turn the same rpm's as regular P.O.S. out of tune Vmax's turn at the same speed with the same tire.

Sean

Well,I got 3 runs last night.Was sleeping on the line for 2 of them.Bogged the motor out flooring too quick on the 3rd.No 2 stage or air shifter.Best I ran was a 11.5.Hot humid but I should have went to a dyno not the strip.If dyno tuning does not make good power I am going back to stage 7.That is the last thing that I thought was going to happen.
It was a good crowd pleaser,watching me almost flip it on the first 2 runs.Even with the struts and front strapped it wants to come over.The last run I didn't warm the tire and actually launched good with a good reaction time but it then bogged badly and took awhile to come back.I thought something broke,sat up and was looking down into the carbs when it finally came back on.
I also am not happy with my dyna 3000.I have heard several times that they are junk.My 2 stage in it is not working,I am now wondering if it is even advancing the timing?They want me to send it back for testing.

I've bettered my times again, 7.305, nothing changed, still gotta get a new tire. What was your 1/8th mile times on that 11.5 run???

I raced today at quacker city.Put bigger mains in and did better.11.14 @ 118.Even pulled a.024 and .008 R/t.I then red lighted twice.I will have to change when I am launching.I am finally hooking up and going through the beams too quick.Going as soon as I see the last yellow is now too early.I also figured out to open the carbs way up right before launching to avoid the bog of the rush of all that air. 60ft's in the 1.62 range. It was running 1.8 the other day.

My best 1/8th today was 7.01 @ 98mph.

I talked with my Dyno guy today and will get mine dialed in soon.

I also am sending my Dyna 3000 back monday to get the 2 stage limiter repaired or replaced.The flatslides will run way better if they are already wide open when I drop the hammer.Lectrons also run like shit without one.I will also have to get my air shifter back on.I've been doing the shifting all week.

Basically after getting some runs I am getting more comfortable and going faster each run.Seat time helps alot.

I raced today at quacker city.Put bigger mains in and did better.11.14 @ 118.Even pulled a.024 and .008 R/t.I then red lighted twice.I will have to change when I am launching.I am finally hooking up and going through the beams too quick.Going as soon as I see the last yellow is now too early.I also figured out to open the carbs way up right before launching to avoid the bog of the rush of all that air. 60ft's in the 1.62 range. It was running 1.8 the other day.

My best 1/8th today was 7.01 @ 98mph.

I talked with my Dyno guy today and will get mine dialed in soon.

I also am sending my Dyna 3000 back monday to get the 2 stage limiter repaired or replaced.The flatslides will run way better if they are already wide open when I drop the hammer.Lectrons also run like shit without one.I will also have to get my air shifter back on.I've been doing the shifting all week.

Basically after getting some runs I am getting more comfortable and going faster each run.Seat time helps alot.

That 1/8th was 99.49 mph. Power must be down or it was the hot humid day.Like I said its off to the dyno next ,and hopefully a new ignition from dyna.

Got to get a few runs in at the Truett and Osborn drags. Even got the alcohol drag bike to the track.

My best run was on a friends 94 vmax. It's stock except for a kerker header with 2 brothers muffler (not loud) and one of our earliest jet kits. He made 124 hp last year so fairly strong but by no means out of the norm.

Without strapped front end I managed a 11.22 @ 121 mph. I needed a bit more practice and I could have gotten it faster. It was wheeling pretty heavily though.

Strapped it down the next morning and got a 11.18 right out of the shoot. It had a lot more in it too. Ended up dialing in a 11.30 and then got a prefect launch (1.68 60') and had to let out. Still ran a 11.25 and broke out. Would have run 11 flat probably.

Going to try it again this weekend at a better track and hopefully conditions. It rained and was 95+ when we were racing that weekend. Climate Conditions showed we were racing in Denver! Most of the big boys were complaining they were down .4 from their regular times. From what I say we were down about .2

The drag bike ran like crap and we had worked all week trying to get it to run. I did manage to get it leaned out enough to stay running. First pass was 15.xx @ 80 mph. Looked like I was out for a sunday push. Leaned it out as lean as we had pills for and ran a 12.38 @ 102. It's still so rich on the main that it won't even rev over 6-7k. It's using almost a gallon a pass!!! So, we are going to take off the hilborn and send it in to have them bench tune it. Should be very close when we get it back.

When we were getting it prepped we didn't like how little braking there was on the front and the fact there is only one guy in the states that might be able to get brake pads for the old brakes that were on it. So, i ended up putting on my R1 front end. It looks much better now and brakes better even though I used stock late model vmax calipers on the forks.

Anyway, there should be pics up in the next week or two and i'll try to get them posted here. I will also get some better numbers from the slips. Of course I will be trying to better them this weekend too.

Sean Morley

Back