Fixing Broken V-Boost

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slothy

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am a long time motorcycle longer and first time VMax owner. I just picked up a 2001 VMax with 11,000 miles and the carbon fiber paint scheme. I have own a lot a very fast bikes in my time and after getting my bike home and test driving it, I thought something didn't feel right. Long story short, I took the air box off to clean on the pilot jets and do an inspection. I found the cable between the V-Booster servo and the butterfly valves snapped. I spoke with the old owner and he never had it apart, in fact he probably never even rode the bike with functioning V-Boost (poor guy). I order the replacement cable and it is being shipped to me. Since I am going to have to take off the air box, carbs, and half the V-Boost, I thought I would ask fellow owners if they could recommend any upgrades, fixes, or replacements that I do well I have the bike torn apart. Thanks for reading this, hope to be out V-Boosting in no time!!!

Uhm,

I'd say a real good examination of the carbs boots while its apart.
Maybe check the condition of the air box to engine breather hose.
Might be a good time to clip an 1/8" or so off the plug wires and reinsert the fresh ends.
Check for any oil leaks on the head oiling tubes that come off that oil/water manifold under the carbs, and for leaks on the manifold as well.

Can't think of anything else right now.

The manual has the setup procedure for vboost adjustment, in sure you knew that already tho.

Sure, change the brake fluids in the F & R brakes & the clutch (reverse-flush the clutch w/a syringe from the slave cyl bleeder), check the pads for wear in the calipers, change oil, oil filter, gas filter, and at least check the air filter if you don't change it. Check tire air pressures, fork air pressure, condition of the tires, and look here for the downloadable service manual to check torque values on caliper bolts, axle nuts, triple tree nuts & bolts, engine mount bolts, shock nuts, and the cooling system should be flushed and serviced w/new fluid after checking hose clamps. Also check the steering head bearings, look on here for Sean Morley's youtube video about fork servicing and steering head adjustment.

If you read the stickys before each Technical section, you will gain a lot of knowledge in a short time, based on a lot of hard-earned experience from the members.

Yep, servicing the systems and components to find-out what else this owner neglected. Also the battery (another thing to check for H2O, corrosion, and cable bolt/nut tightness). Look on here for the threads about fitting a replacement headlight, if you do it now, your nighttime driving will be much safer. Don't even mess w/the stocker by trying to fit a higher-wattage bulb or an HID, just get a better headlight, I recommend a 7" round halogen at a minimum.

For my $$, the #1 change you can make to your bike is to get a replacement rear wheel, and convert to radials. Not cheap, but it will make a very significant difference in the handling, 'wobblies' as you get into higher speeds, and give you increased confidence in cornering. You might as well throw some HH brake pads on while you're at it. Good rubber and brakes will make it easier to have faith in your bike's abilities to accelerate, to turn, and to stop.

And watch-out for this guy:
images

Thanks guys! I look forward to seeing what the bike is like with working V-Boost.

Back