Float height setting

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob1956

Reaction score
What is the best way to set the float height when you asemble your carbs after cleaning? I am aware of the external hose method but would like to get them as close as possible when putting them back together.

I do them on the bench with a reservoir bottle made from 3" sch 80 clear pvc to hold the gasoline and rubber tubing to the carbs. Assemble them in pairs, it's easier to get them level, then fill the float chambers and check using the regular 'wet level' method. Be sure to elevate your reservoir high enough to insure the chambers are filled.

I used to just set the halves on the tv tray next to the bike and then route the fuel pump outlet hose to the carbs.

I used to just set the halves on the tv tray next to the bike and then route the fuel pump outlet hose to the carbs.

This is probably a better way cause of the fuel pump pressure. I ran a small hose to the top of my reservoir and blow on it to increase fuel pressure....I dread the day I hic-cip!! :biglaugh:

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=1427

Check out this thread and set the floats as instructed. Then follow up with the wet method to double check.

Dan-o's idea sounds like a pretty good way to double check yourself without having to mount them back onto the bike. Good thinkin Dan!

Thanks Mike, I use an extra manifold with v-boost butterflys & airbox boots to mount the pair I'm setting....makes it much easier to get them level.

That link has good info, Mark's 1.125" measurement is right on the money! :punk:

That's good advice Mark,I never thought of doing the wet check before the carbs were mounted! But luckily Damon's bench setting tips worked for me.

Bill

Back