Float setting gauge

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
I got a little fed up with trying to use calipers on the rounded surfaces of the float chamber and float itself so I snipped this little deal out from the plastic cap of a vitamin bottle.

There are probly several ways to fab this thing but I started with a carb that was already adjusted and checked at the 17mm wet level. Then filed and clipped with scissors until it fit.

The notch on the left side snugs up against the jet block, the tip on the upper right corner aligns with the carb body, inside edge....then adjust the float until the bottom edge just touches the flat part of the gauge.

I always do a wet level check just to verify but have not had to dismantle and re-adjust any carb since making this.

Attachments

• 100_2498.jpg
    100_2498.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 74
  • 100_2497.jpg
    100_2497.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 92
Yer always thinking Danny! Good idea to use that instead of fumbling around with the calipers! You should patent it and sell em!!

i got a little fed up with trying to use calipers on the rounded surfaces of the float chamber and float itself so i snipped this little deal out from the plastic cap of a vitamin bottle.

There are probly several ways to fab this thing but i started with a carb that was already adjusted and checked at the 17mm wet level. Then filed and clipped with scissors until it fit.

The notch on the left side snugs up against the jet block, the tip on the upper right corner aligns with the carb body, inside edge....then adjust the float until the bottom edge just touches the flat part of the gauge.

I always do a wet level check just to verify but have not had to dismantle and re-adjust any carb since making this.

you da man!!!!!!

I got a little fed up with trying to use calipers on the rounded surfaces of the float chamber and float itself so I snipped this little deal out from the plastic cap of a vitamin bottle.

There are probly several ways to fab this thing but I started with a carb that was already adjusted and checked at the 17mm wet level. Then filed and clipped with scissors until it fit.

Great idea Dan-0. Thanks for sharing it.
Steve-o

Very nice work Dan-o!!!!:worthy: You should take that to someone who can stamp those out of sheet metal and sell them!! Know that a lot of guys here and other places would want to have one in their toolbox!!!

Good one :clapping: - send me the basic drawning and I will make CAD files for ya so you can laser cut those from stainless.

Very nice work Dan-o!!!!:worthy: You should take that to someone who can stamp those out of sheet metal and sell them!! Know that a lot of guys here and other places would want to have one in their toolbox!!!

You may have something there Jim! :clapping:

Good one :clapping: - send me the basic drawning and I will make CAD files for ya so you can laser cut those from stainless.

PM sent

Hey Dannymax, nice idea.
Just a thought.... since the factory specs are 16mm +/- 1 mm. , might be nice to have a set of three of these Float Setting gauges you've prototyped with different calibrations that would allow one to set the float levels to either 17mm, 16mm, or 15mm to help fine tune the carb settings for low end power optimization ??? if this is true... Would like to hear from others in the forum with more carb knowledge about this. Is one float level setting sufficient, or is there any benefits being able to set float levels to different settings ?

Hey Dannymax, nice idea.
Just a thought.... since the factory specs are 16mm +/- 1 mm. , might be nice to have a set of three of these Float Setting gauges you've prototyped with different calibrations that would allow one to set the float levels to either 17mm, 16mm, or 15mm to help fine tune the carb settings for low end power optimization ??? if this is true... Would like to hear from others in the forum with more carb knowledge about this. Is one float level setting sufficient, or is there any benefits being able to set float levels to different settings ?

I've been thinking about this very thing KosRider. I prefer the 17mm setting as the max tends to like it a little lean....others may want the 16mm or 15mm setting so that option would be nice for them.

That type of float setting device used to come in automotive carb kits many years ago when I was working on motorcycles at a Yamaha dealer which also had an automotive repair shop also. Some automotive carb kits was universal and fit other carbs also. The little stiff cardboard piece would have a step down or step up for measuring float height for the other application the kit fit. You might be able to fit all MM settings (15,16,17) on one device. Maybe not..

Latest posts

Back