floats problem - help!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I looked in the manual and found that the fuel pump has a diaphram/spring mechanism that shuts if off when the bowls are full. Perhaps yours is over running the carbs. It sounds like you have a spare pump....
What clear filter did you buy? Does it have a paper element or a plastic screen? Those plastic/glass filters have pretty large holes in them, maybe a paper filter would stop the fines.
Good luck
Paul

I wonder how the pump/diaphragm knows that the float chambers are full? Is it a pressure thing? How does the fuel pump relay work? I've swapped the fuel pump relay with the one from my spare bike too, to no avail..

I got the clear filter with the plastic mesh. I know what you mean about the small particles, but I've had the paper ones before and see that stuff go through it too. I don't think there is a fuel filter that could stop the fine particles of rust that come from a rusted tank - been there, only way is to treat or change the tank.

Yep, fuel pump shuts down/starts via pressure. Also, reason why fuel pump shuts down after couple of seconds when you turn the key is that there isn't an ignition signal. This is a safety feature and the reason why there's a wire running from the ignition coils to the fuel pump relay.

OK. So if it's pressure then I most definitely must have a needle valve problem, as when I first warmed up / checked floats / sync'd, then turned ignition off and left it for maybe 2 mns, when I turned it back on the pump clicked fast for the full 4-5 seconds again. The only way the fuel level/pressure would go down that much in 2mns is leaking needle valves, right?
And I've inspected them closely - they are all fine, and so is the fuel pump. So it's gotta be the rust dust.. Funny after riding for maybe 3-4 miles, it was fine again. I've left the bike on battery charge (it was down from all the playing with) and am going on a longer ride tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

were u revving it before u shut it off? sometimes mine does it, most of the time not tho. i think ur on to something.

nah, no revving. Just sitting on idle. I'm gonna drive to the spare bike tomorrow grab the tank the TCI and that vacuum advance controller 4 ya.

Then the question is, will I have time to get the locked cap off that tank, and then remove half the back of my bike so I can swap tanks?

Or do I just leave it and ride Deal's Gap as it is? It's mostly alright while riding - usually it freaks out while super hot in traffic..

what happens when it acts up, and u throw the choke on?

I haven't tried that, but I doubt it would help - it's overflowing with fuel already!

Rode it a bit more today, and it was fine again, other than now out of nowhere the temp gauge starting acting up! Hopefully it's just a bad connection, coolant level is fine and the fan is doing its job as normal..

G - I'm having a similar prob with my MAX so I pulled my carbs down today & I noticed the floats are not brass or plastic - they are nitrofill. Kinda like a black dense foam material, & back in the day a lot of auto carbs had nitofill floats. We used to have issues at times with the floats absorbing fuel & of course that makes them heavier & richer. If you look at an old auto repair manual you will notice that in the carb specs they give you a weight measurement to check your floats so you can check & see if if they have absorbed any fuel. There is no way repair a float of this type - I've tried setting them in the sun & baking them in an oven - they just won't dry out - must be replaced if too heavy. I don't have a float gauge anymore, but if I can't find one tomorrow I'm taking my floats to the local gunshop to have them weighed. I don't know the spec for a VMAX float weight - I'm just checking them all to see if one stands out against the rest. Will post back with results tomorrow.

OK, here are my results. My local gunshop was nice enough to weigh my floats for me. Note: here they are measured in GRAINS, not grams - hey, it's a gunshop.

float #1 70.5 g
float #2 69.3 g
float #3 69.9 g
float #4 70.5 g

All are within a spread of no more than 1.2 grains so I think it's fair to say I don't have any one float that's a "sinker". FWIW 70 grains equals approx. 4.5 grams or approx. .16 oz.

Now for me the $25,000 dollar question is "How much does a new float weigh ?" There's no spec in the VMAX service manual.

G - if you pull carbs down again & still think you have a float issue I say take it to a local re-loader & sweet-talk them into weighing your floats just to be sure you don't have a heavy one. I just ordered a digital mini-scale on the internet - should be here in a few days. If you want to borrow it, just let me know & I'll mail it over to you.

Thanks for the info Rich. I'm sure Morley has a few in his stash he could weight. I have a couple of extras from a wrecked '85 I can have weighed too.

somehow i doubt weighing floats aint gonna work on the get on the bathroom scale with and without the item in your hand trick.

Me thinks our favorite irishman has scale for weighing things like richwrench is gonna have. Need to keep those projectiles the same weight for accuracy with center mass lead poisoning!:rofl_200:

Me thinks our favorite irishman has scale for weighing things like richwrench is gonna have. Need to keep those projectiles the same weight for accuracy with center mass lead poisoning!:rofl_200:

Got me nailed 'Bone!!! I seem to prefer the XTP variety.....prolly just cause of the name...eh? :rofl_200:

"Extreme Terminal Performance"...it just shouts finality, don't cha think??!! :biglaugh:

Interesting. When I took my floats out I could have sworn they were made out of plastic!?

If I get in there again after replacing the tank I'll get the scales and weigh them too, just to compare.

Back