Flooding one cyclinder

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiretwister

Reaction score
One last problem on this bike....after riding about 15 miles, One cylinder was acting up, I stop at my daughters to address the issue and found the front left cylinder was flooded with fuel...I assume the float is stuck , you could smell gas in the exhaust and even white mist/smoke.
I made it home...I could get it to run by pinning the throttle and giviving it plenty of air...it was flood central.
Now someone has put a aftermarket fuel pump on it a Mr. gasket Micron 42t in line pump, I think it has up to 5lb of preasure...and it does have a filter on the suction side between the tank and pump.
Ive have already bought a stock pump but didnt put it on ( I though it was all good )
Remember, I bought this bike with all these issues, I almost have Christine all fixed up.......

Now for the question, do you think a stock pump will fix this ??? Im thinking to much fuel preasure ..even though 3 out of 4 carbs seem to be good.

And second...( If i have to ) can I get to floats without removal of all the carbs ..or can I work with only the one .

Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited:
It's much easier to remove the rack for float work, it could be a bent pin causing the float to bind.
I think the stock pump operates around 4.7 psi so doubt the extra .3 psi would affect anything.

If the cylinder is full of fuel, then there's no spark ? Bad plug ??
Very easy to swap in a new one to see.

Good Luck !

Have you drained just the one carb into a clean container to see if there's any micro trash that could be causing this. I was out yesterday and the bike started running on 3 cylinders. Took about 10 minutes at home to drain the carb and fix the problem.

I guess I need another in line filter that's finer than factory????? WTF 2.:rofl_200:

Something to try....open the drain on that one carb, let the fuel drain, then turn ingnition switch on and let the pump flush some fuel thru the carb while the float is at its lowest point and the needle is wide open. Hopefully it will wash some of that micro stuff from needle and seat assy. If that doesn't work remove the outlet fuel line from fuel pump and open the drain valve on that one carb again......spray enough carb cleaner thru line until it runs out of carb. You must remember carb cleaner will remove paint so try to keep it off painted parts.

+1 to suggestions above. If it was the fuel pump I'd expect a problem with more than just this one cylinder. First, get a new plug and test for a good spark.

i recall morley saying something in another thread about fuel pump and how anything more than 3 lbs is too much. lemme go hunt for it
[edit] nevermind, found it, but totally not what i thought.

It's much easier to remove the rack for float work, it could be a bent pin causing the float to bind.
I think the stock pump operates around 4.7 psi so doubt the extra .3 psi would affect anything.

Obviously, I think too much!! The Haynes manual gives the fuel pump outlet pressure as 2.35 psi - 2.92 psi.....sorry for the bogus info! :worthy:

I already had tried the new spark plug, I know its firing as it should, 2.35 to 2.92 is a pretty close tolerance....and the aftermarket is kinda vague.

I will drain the bowl, flush it ...and see what happens. ( Hopefully tomorrow )

Christine is on the road !!! I wish I could tell you exactly what fixed it but here is what I did, I drained the carb bowl, then I turn the key on and flushed it out into a glass ( yes a little trash came out ), then I removed the Mr.gasket micron 42S fuel pump and repaced it with a original Yamaha Vmax pump.
Fired it up and it ran perfect, then I rode 40 miles.....giving it a mixed bag, cruising slow some and riding the hell outa it some and it never missed a lick.
I assume its all good, weather was bad today....tomorrow I will ring up some miles, I have to gain some trust in this girl.
So.......here is the rundown....I bought Chistine, Hopefully she is warming up to me since I have had to buy her a new stator, regulator/rectifier, Ignition module and a fuel pump, Yesterday she was purring like a kitten....Im praying it last, Im tired of buying her gifts.

wiretwister: Big Congrats, but you got off easy.

I defeated the 94 quite a while back. Been running perfect since I bought the Marks Exhaust and Kyle fixed the clutch. I spent about 2 years workin on it before that... On and Off....

My 89's finally falling into place. I believe whatever possesses it has begun to like me. I think I've got the final oil leak stopped. 567 Hours of work have gone into this one. That's an average of 3.78 or so hours per day, 7 days a week for 5 months. Some were 15-16 hour days and others, I completely stayed away for fear I might shoot the Damn thing.. :rofl_200:My wife even stopped threatening to leave me if I didn't quit working on it...:confused2:

wiretwister: Big Congrats, but you got off easy.

I defeated the 94 quite a while back. Been running perfect since I bought the Marks Exhaust and Kyle fixed the clutch. I spent about 2 years workin on it before that... On and Off....

My 89's finally falling into place. I believe whatever possesses it has begun to like me. I think I've got the final oil leak stopped. 567 Hours of work have gone into this one. That's an average of 3.78 or so hours per day, 7 days a week for 5 months. Some were 15-16 hour days and others, I completely stayed away for fear I might shoot the Damn thing.. :rofl_200:My wife even stopped threatening to leave me if I didn't quit working on it...:confused2:

567 hours.....I think I would have just bought another bike..........When I bought Christine, It was suppose to be all good ...just outa the shop, clean bill of health so on and so on, except for the regulator.
In my dreams !!! I guess it wasnt that bad........Ive owned and worked on alot of bikes, this one smacked me around some, I hope its trust worthy.

Last edited:
I've had ??? 36 bikes or very close, more if anything. I've spent more time on these 2 than all the others combined.. Some of them were complete restorations... But, all the hard work has paid off. I have 2 killer bikes... And, they just keep getting better... Wouldn't hesitate to take either one Cross Country. If my body could just catch up with my brain thinking I could do that...:rofl_200:

Dave

One last post on this issue, I rode 100 miles, pretty much non stop....Not a single misfire, I never heard a stumble, I believe the old girl is good to go !!!
Thanks for all the help !!!

One last post on this issue, I rode 100 miles, pretty much non stop....Not a single misfire, I never heard a stumble, I believe the old girl is good to go !!!
Thanks for all the help !!!

That's great news......now just ride it when the weather cooperates!!

Great news about the long ride. Happy you have it fixed... Ride and enjoy. As long as you do regular maintenance you'll have the VMax for 10's of thousands of miles... Sitting and poor maintenance are it's worst enemy's

In hind sight, I would have parted out my 89 and never registered it... Since I have so much of myself and my money in it. I'm gonna ride it into the ground.... For some reason, I think it's faster than the 94..:ummm:

Latest posts

Back