Ford Explorer 1997 4.0 exhaust help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
I think the cats are plugged.
I will likely only be driving this thing one more year - so replacing the expensive cats is not an option.

Cutting them off - or punching them out are my options.

I am not one for killing the environment - and I don't intend on driving it too long. Will this hurt performance further?

Advice!

I think the cats are plugged.
I will likely only be driving this thing one more year - so replacing the expensive cats is not an option.

Cutting them off - or punching them out are my options.

I am not one for killing the environment - and I don't intend on driving it too long. Will this hurt performance further?

Advice!

It might choke a few ponies.

$65.00 magnaflow cat
http://thmotorsports.com/magnaflow/.../94106/i-152914.aspx?googlebase=94106-16-1997

Id punch them out if you have inspection you will at least pass on a visual but you wont pass emissions, Depends on what type of insp your state has jim 3933

Be careful with a blocked exhaust. I cracked the heads on my Bronco years back due to a blocked muffler.

Is there an oxygen sensor behind the cat? if so punching it out may make it use more gas.

It won't hurt anything if you bust out the cats - it's a good way to prove if they're plugged or not. But if you do it on any vehicle 1996 or later you will turn on your "check engine" light & when you scan it it you will find a fault code re: "catalyst efficiency". Once you know that fixed your original prob, you just replace them & problem solved. But beware of cheap aftermarket replacement cats - sometimes they will also set off the light for cat efficiency because they are not as good as OEM For the price difference it may be worth the risk, but be forewarned - cheap doesn't always work for cat converters. I weld in Walker universal -fit replacement cats on my fleet & most of the time they work, but every once in a while I get one that throws a code. For the price difference of about $200 vs $1200 I would roll the dice with a cheap one & cross your fingers...

yeah. Someone was telling me this thing has 4 cats. I saw two under there while I was changing my oil - but I wasn't really looking at all.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Might be a stupid question but....What makes you think they are plugged?? What are the symptoms?

My F-150 has 4 cats... You'll probably pull a code when you punch them out if there's a O2 sensor down stream from it. You could just buy some high flow cats and have them welded on. Still not free...

yeah. Someone was telling me this thing has 4 cats. I saw two under there while I was changing my oil - but I wasn't really looking at all.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Just went out and looked at my '02. Looks like I have two up front and two in the back.

My '93 F-150 had two in a line, with only one 02 sensor near the y-pipe.

Just punch them out. If you're not going to have the car much longer anyway it doesn't make sense to put several hundred(at least) into it.

I don't know how things work in Canada, but before you do get it re-inspected for another year. That way you'll have the maximum amount of time before it doesn't pass again.

Though also, gutted cats could hurt resale value if someone buys it who knows a thing or two about cars. Try to sell it to a bimbo who won't notice.

Got lucky up here, they just done away with the IM program starting in 2010, in my part of the woods.

Symptoms: Horrible gas mileage. When you hammer on it - it feels like it's trying a wee bit harder than it should. Funny exhaust smell.

My dad had a 1997 explorer and when his cats plugged it did the same thing.

I checked performance exhaust for this thing - and they are all cat backs.
I was hoping to see an off-road cat-delete option.

Not so much.

I think 4 catalytic converters is borderline insane. That's just ford trying to make money when they break.

Symptoms: Horrible gas mileage. When you hammer on it - it feels like it's trying a wee bit harder than it should. Funny exhaust smell.

My dad had a 1997 explorer and when his cats plugged it did the same thing.

I checked performance exhaust for this thing - and they are all cat backs.
I was hoping to see an off-road cat-delete option.

Not so much.

I think 4 catalytic converters is borderline insane. That's just ford trying to make money when they break.

Nope! Just Ford trying to meet emissions.

Hook a vacuum gauge up to a manifold vacuum source - hold the throttle at about 2500 rpm - if the vacuum steadily drops off you prolly have a plugged exhaust. Loosen the 4 nuts holding the pipes to the manifolds - if you now can carry a steady vacuum at 2500 rpm you just proved your exhaust (most likely cats) is plugged. Most engines also run hotter & slower when exhaust is restricted. If you replace your cats and notice that one or more is empty - because it melted & broke apart - pay special attention to your muffler - all the guts will accumulate there. I had to replace a muffler on an 05 Chevy 2500 HD this summer for that same reason.

richwrench is write ! Also pull the vacuum hose of of the fuel regulator & have someone just tap the key & see if fuel squirts out & also scan the computer & make sure that your coolant temp. Sensor is not reading -30 deg's. It should read real time engine temp ! ALSO A SCREWED UP MASS-AIR FLOW-SENSOR ON A FORD CAN DO SOME SCREWED UP THINGS !

oem cats for that thing list for like $1800.00 bucks & they wounder why they are fucking bankrupt !

Ya, seems like Ford is the only one that's still doing OK. Notice that there are still commercials for Ford credit on a new car or lease.

4 cats is pretty much standard on newer cars. More cats improved the emissions, but with diminishing returns. Past 4, the reduction in emissions is so small as to be insignificant to justify the extra cost of installing one.

Now turbo engines will be the next big craze since they raise combustion temperatures and burn off more contaminants in addition to the nice "side effect" of big power gains. Ford did this with the new "eco-boost" V6...twin turbo with 365hp, and I've heard reports of nearly 30mpg.

Mileage estimates always seem to be low. The parent's 07 Explorer was rated at 13/16 with the 4.0 V6. It regularly gets 19-20 on straight highway, and about 17 on average. My mother's Acura TL was quoted to get 24 highway, it again regularly gets 28-29 with a 3.2 V6.

But not my truck...a F-150 "7700" edition. Averages about 14mpg. Best I ever got was 18, and that was cruise set at 65. 2v 5.4, 4r100 trans, 3.73 gears, and that 7700lb curb weight don't add up to thrifty mileage. Oh well.

I get about 25mpg on the highway with my G8. Right now with winter gas, I am seeing about 18 in mixed driving with winter fuel and winter tires. Not bad for a 400hp 4000lb car.

Latest posts

Back