fork seals, lesson learned !!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jinks

Reaction score
Over the winter I was replacing my front fork seals,..and I was TOLD- DONT PUT IN AFTERMARKET SEALS they wont last. They said use GENUINE Yamaha seals...................I didn't......now I'm replacing them AGAIN !!
these aftermarket ones are weak & wimpy compared to the Yamaha ones.!! So.....listen to these guys on the Forum !!!!!!!!!! They DO know what they're talking about.
heading out to the shop to work on max..................

Use aftermarket fork springs or the stock seals will fail in 3 to 5 years. I have yet to replace seals since going to Racetech springs 12years ago.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Replace oil every 2 years too.

My Original OEM fork seals (with OEM fork springs) lasted 12 years.
I replaced them with new OEM seals and installed Progressive fork springs when one started leaking back in 2012 and they are still not leaking.
I hope they last at least as long as the first set did.

I bought a Motion Pro fork seal scraper and looking forward to trying it.

I replaced stock springs with progressive at 25,000 miles and had to replace right side seal at 32,000 miles.

I bought a Motion Pro fork seal scraper and looking forward to trying it.

I bought the blue motion pro fork seal scraper the same time a bought their carb sync (sent that back the next day). Someone suggested film but I'm not a hollywood producer or a camera fanatic by any means. I have to say it did clean the dirt out of the the fork if you can remember to LIFT UP every chance you get. Bend it and it will be useless unless you reshaped it yourself. My advice is to hold it as close to the fork as possible at all times.

Ya, these are shit. Real flimsy compared to the factory seals.

This is not only true for Yamaha. I do all maintenance and repairs on our Lexus LS, Acura CL and Suzuki Samurai. One thing I keep learning is to stay away from Chinese parts, they are woefully substandard compared to OEM Japanese parts. Not just generally speaking but without exception the Chinese parts are not worth the packaging they are shipped in. Never again will I settle for anything less than genuine Japanese parts for OEM replacements.

I got the OEM Yamaha seals and dust covers from Morleys, as I recall they were very reasonably priced and I they arrived quickly. Definitely quality parts.

I bought the blue motion pro fork seal scraper the same time a bought their carb sync (sent that back the next day). Someone suggested film but I'm not a hollywood producer or a camera fanatic by any means. I have to say it did clean the dirt out of the the fork if you can remember to LIFT UP every chance you get. Bend it and it will be useless unless you reshaped it yourself. My advice is to hold it as close to the fork as possible at all times.
I've heard good things from a few guys that made their own from a soda bottle cut in the same shape as the Seal Mate.
If I ever see any fluid on my forks that's what I'll try before I replace the seals.

Yamaha do a kit with dust and fork seals that was 1/2 the price of buying separately.
Don't use cheap parts on important stuff that you dont want to have to redo sooner rather than later.
I bet one genuine set is cheaper than two aftermarket?

I used Yamaha 10wt oil and genuine seals. I have progressive springs. I have only done one ride but they are dry so Im happy but will try and improve fork action over time.

Back