Formula 1 comes to the USA!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
Watch this and tell me if you think it's gonna 'make it' this time. There are 2 videos.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YibMYIBRc6I?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4VPB7D54lk&feature=player_embedded

Seems Team Red Bull has made a few videos to drum-up interest in F-1 in the USA. Going thru the Lincoln Tunnel in a F-1 car has to be about the closest we will get to a "Tron"-like experience. In the first video at about 5:00 all you can see is a dust trail, it looks like a 'RoadRunner' cartoon come-to-life. :biglaugh:

F-1 is my favorite motorsports.

Bernie Ecclistone and the F1 are endless money and control big eater.

Would USA like F1 as much as Indy and stock car witch i like much than F1 (I prefer indy`s and nascar)
But USA is big enought to get; not one, but two F1 grand prix.

The issue is the controle freak Bernie:damn angry:; that breaks everything down.

I would attend an East Coast event.:punk:

My dad used to take me to Watkins Glen NY in the early/mid 1960's when we lived by the southern shore of Lake Ontario and we enjoyed the USGP. I got to see racers like (still my favorites) Jim Clark, Graham Hill, John Surtees (who can tell me w/o googling it why John Surtees is important as a racer, what did he do that will probably never happen again?), and Dan Gurney. Oh, and Sir Stirling Moss, whose autograph I got on my race ticket, way-cool! Then we moved to MI and I stopped going. Later in life I went to Montreal and Monaco for F-1 events and they were worth every penny I spent to get there to see them. One year I saw a CART race in Detroit and then a F-1 race in Montreal, back when they were still racing the downtown street course for CART.

I hope they decide to begin holding events here regularly as I would like to go again.

I would attend an East Coast event.:punk:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3802hjWyurE&feature=related
Here you go Rollie! David Couthard drives and talks about the track forming up in New Jersey. Quite interesting that they used current race testing cars in this promo and with DC's current job as a F1 race day analyst(BBC, which provides awesome F1 coverage, the best I've seen since I started watching in '88) really lends some credibility to a east coast race happening. By the way if you want to catch BBc's coverage, check them out on SKYF1, link here.
My dad used to take me to Watkins Glen NY in the early/mid 1960's when we lived by the southern shore of Lake Ontario and we enjoyed the USGP. I got to see racers like (still my favorites) Jim Clark, Graham Hill, John Surtees (who can tell me w/o googling it why John Surtees is important as a racer, what did he do that will probably never happen again?), and Dan Gurney. Oh, and Sir Stirling Moss, whose autograph I got on my race ticket, way-cool! Then we moved to MI and I stopped going. Later in life I went to Montreal and Monaco for F-1 events and they were worth every penny I spent to get there to see them. One year I saw a CART race in Detroit and then a F-1 race in Montreal, back when they were still racing the downtown street course for CART.

I hope they decide to begin holding events here regularly as I would like to go again.
I generally dislike the city based courses vs. a true road course but just having F1 running races in the U.S. is a sign that the current F1 content is selling. The level of competition this year between the drivers, race teams running neck and neck trying to one up each other is classic and exciting racing. Nothing better in my book, yep, even better than Moto GP current offering. (Even though a Yamaha is leading the series, Lorenzo is not the most charismatic personality he is a great, great rider that is for sure!) I can only hope this leads to a east coast F1 road course event works it way onto the F1 schedule.:punk:
Road Atlanta, which would need a ton of work to bring it up to F1 standards, provides excellant elevation changes, combinations of super fast and slow corners would be a nice event. Probably too far out in the sticks for the promoters though)
EDIT: Here is some alternate video of DC in the Red Bull F1 car in NY/NJ. Love the F1 one at full song, nothing like it! Only thing better is a F1 race start!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i76hm_al0pw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3802hjWyurE&feature=related
Here you go Rollie! David Couthard drives and talks about the track forming up in New Jersey. Quite interesting that they used current race testing cars in this promo and with DC's current job as a F1 race day analyst(BBC, which provides awesome F1 coverage, the best I've seen since I started watching in '88) really lends some credibility to a east coast race happening. By the way if you want to catch BBc's coverage, check them out on SKYF1, link here.

I generally dislike the city based courses vs. a true road course but just having F1 running races in the U.S. is a sign that the current F1 content is selling. The level of competition this year between the drivers, race teams running neck and neck trying to one up each other is classic and exciting racing. Nothing better in my book, yep, even better than Moto GP current offering. (Even though a Yamaha is leading the series, Lorenzo is not the most charismatic personality he is a great, great rider that is for sure!) I can only hope this leads to a east coast F1 road course event works it way onto the F1 schedule.:punk:
Road Atlanta, which would need a ton of work to bring it up to F1 standards, provides excellant elevation changes, combinations of super fast and slow corners would be a nice event. Probably too far out in the sticks for the promoters though)

That A__hole Bruton Smith who thinks because he owns some greasy NASCAR-sanctioned pavement he can insult millions of people made really-poor comments about Miami and its residents in-particular. I will never patronize his tracks because of what he said. NASCAR should have slapped him w/one of its huge fines and pulled one of his dates for what he said.

http://blog.masslive.com/racinwithj...ling_homestead-miami_speedway_north_cuba.html

He also wants to 'throw the caution flag' to tighten-up the field which is kind of stupid unless you're unsure about the power of your event to pull-in spectators who will stay engaged w/the race even-if one person dominates because of equipment and/or skill.

Only World Champion on 2 and 4 wheels .
clapping.gif
clapping.gif
clapping.gif

Supposedly, a couple of years back Rossi was tossing around the idea of jumping to F1.
Senna was a bike nut in his personal life off the track, but never tempted to try racing on two wheels that I know of. He did do some endorsement for Ducati and they even release a commerative Senna edition or two.

That A__hole Bruton Smith who thinks because he owns some greasy NASCAR-sanctioned pavement he can insult millions of people made really-poor comments about Miami and its residents in-particular. I will never patronize his tracks because of what he said. NASCAR should have slapped him w/one of its huge fines and pulled one of his dates for what he said.

http://blog.masslive.com/racinwithj...ling_homestead-miami_speedway_north_cuba.html

He also wants to 'throw the caution flag' to tighten-up the field which is kind of stupid unless you're unsure about the power of your event to pull-in spectators who will stay engaged w/the race even-if one person dominates because of equipment and/or skill.
I followed Stock car racing unitl Dale passed, lost all interest in that form of racing. The knowlegeable spectator will appreciate the skill it takes to be inch perfect for more than 60 laps in the most powerful and complicated racing machine on a racing circuit. I know the funny car and top fuel guys have more horsepower and it takes a special skill set to pilot down the quarter mile, but to race 20 other guys on the same racing line in open wheeled vehicles for 60+ laps is impressive in it's own right. Every F1 car on the grid is capable of going from 0 to 160 km/h (100 mph) and back to 0 in less than five seconds. (~1.48 BHP/LB.)

I followed Stock car racing unitl Dale passed, lost all interest in that form of racing. The knowlegeable spectator will appreciate the skill it takes to be inch perfect for more than 60 laps in the most powerful and complicated racing macine on a racing circuit. I know the funny car and top fuel guys have more horsepower and it takes a special skill set to pilot down the quarter mile, but to race 20 other guys on the same racing line in open wheeled vehicles for 60+ laps is impressive in it's own right. Every F1 car on the grid is capable of going from 0 to 160 km/h (100 mph) and back to 0 in less than five seconds. (~1.48 BHP/LB.) __________________
I still follow stock car racing casually insomuch as I don't turn off Speed channel when it comes on.

I grew up watching dirt track racing in Wisconsin. I remember when NASCAR was still a pretty regionalized thing shown mostly on ESPN while my sisters babysat me on parents' bowling nights. I loved when NASCAR was still modified versions of real passenger cars.

Having a dad who took me to dirt track, short track, road track sports car racing at Road America, moto-cross events and LOTS of drags made me appreciate he diversity and skill involved in all types of motorsports.
I wish people whose only idea of "racin'" is GO FAST TURN LEFT, could appreciate the skill involved in other forms of non Sprint Cup Money Derb as well as people who think that NASCAR doesn't require skill could both both open their eyes.

That's the democratic thing about motorsports, you can always find a form of interest to you unless you're some-sort of anti-internal-combustion person. ("He was strangely-attracted to the noise and spectacle, but then he recalled he was beholden to the 'low-carbon footprint' cauliflower that night for dinner, and left the track, ashamed of what he had just done.")Here in FL they have a mud racing series which is pretty-entertaining. "CopRunner" saw one this past year and liked it. There is lots of innovation. They all take skill and good reliable equipment, and there shouls be enough rules to keep some non-competitive jerk from taking you out because you beat him.

I agree and think he should be put in prison for life because of what he said. After all he's a U.S. citizen that pays lots of taxes and employs lots of other U.S.citizens........

The illegal aliens can wave their home country flags and demand rights and benefits from the all benevolent U.S. and it's all O.K.

We're screwed.

I agree and think he should be put in prison for life because of what he said. After all he's a U.S. citizen that pays lots of taxes and employs lots of other U.S.citizens........

The illegal aliens can wave their home country flags and demand rights and benefits from the all benevolent U.S. and it's all O.K.

We're screwed.

Rollie, I think you're reading far-too-much into my post. I assume you're referring to my comment about Smith's statement concerning Miami and the Homestead racetrack, which he referrs to as "North Cuba".

Something you may not know, just as Smith's tracks he owns are his entrepreneural efforts and he is betting-big w/his assets that he can grow the business, the same can be said of others in the business. Like the Miami track located in Homestead, and area south of Miami which is the food basket for south Florida due to its rich soil and agriculture which has been a mainstay of the area for nearly 100 years. The agricultural products produced are harvested by legal aliens and others, most of-whom may be immigrants, because the growers cannot find enough local residents to do such hard 'stoop labor.' These people follow the growing seasons across the country.

I am sure you have noticed that one of the things that has changed NASCAR is that it's no longer conceived of bootleggers who served time in prison. The corporations who use branding to spread their product recognition via NASCAR race team sponsorship are very conscious of their images. When someone gets arrested for drunk driving or fighting, or spousal abuse, or some other inappropriate behavior, the corporate sponsor will cut that person loose or cut the team loose. Look what has happened to those who run afoul of the law. They often lose their driving jobs.

Now you are all-for people making business plans and having success, right? Well the Miami-Homestead Racetrack was developed by a Cuban-American named Ralph Sanchez who subsequently sold the track to Roger Penske's corporation. Sanchez had previously sponsored the Miami Grand Prix, which was a race series in the streets of Miami for IMSA, they also raced bikes there too. On the basis of the success he had sponsoring these Miami street races, he formed a business plan, executed it, and later sold the track to a member of the Board of Directors of General Motors. Not bad for a guy with roots from Cuba, and who lives in "north Cuba!"

So, for Bruton Smith to make derogatory remarks about Miami-Homestead Speedway being "North Cuba," he's pissing in-front of a crowd and yes, it's my opinion he should have been slapped with an economic loss for his boorish behavior. A fine, loss of a race date, a contribution to a local Miami-area charity and a public apology if he wants to continue to do business with the France family and its racing enterprises, something to cost him $$ out of his pocket, because evidently that's something he 'gets.' What it is, is 'sour grapes' because the last race is going to "north Cuba" Miami-Homestead Speedway instead of lining this bigot's pockets. Hit 'em where it hurts! In the pocketbook.

I try to avoid anything having to do w/politics on here, but sometimes you have to provide people with information of-which they may not be-aware, so they can decide for themselves about issues raised.

So, for Bruton Smith to make derogatory remarks about Miami-Homestead Speedway being "North Cuba," he's pissing in-front of a crowd and yes, it's my opinion he should have been slapped with an economic loss for his boorish behavior. A fine, loss of a race date, a contribution to a local Miami-area charity and a public apology if he wants to continue to do business with the France family and its racing enterprises, something to cost him $$ out of his pocket, because evidently that's something he 'gets.' What it is, is 'sour grapes' because the last race is going to "north Cuba" Miami-Homestead Speedway instead of lining this bigot's pockets. Hit 'em where it hurts! In the pocketbook.

^^^THIS
I would throw in an ATOMIC WEDGY too. All the way till the elastic in his undies broke.
]:ranting:

My point was he has the right of free speech. There is too much political correctness going on in the country now, and many feel like they can't say what's on their mind and in their heart without somebody being offended. He may be making stupid remarks , but that's all they are and he has a right to speak ( last time I checked the constitution ) , his mind , even if doing so , proves to most he doesn't have one. If enough offended people decide to boycott him or his tracks , maybe then he'll curb his tongue . It's not like he yelled fire in a crowded room and caused a panic .

The fruit of bigotry is prejudice, which has a bitter taste to a reasonable man. He who hides behind the "freedom of speech" veil to pronounce his bigotry is cloaked in ignorance and intolerance.

My point was he has the right of free speech. There is too much political correctness going on in the country now, and many feel like they can't say what's on their mind and in their heart without somebody being offended. He may be making stupid remarks , but that's all they are and he has a right to speak ( last time I checked the constitution ) , his mind , even if doing so , proves to most he doesn't have one. If enough offended people decide to boycott him or his tracks , maybe then he'll curb his tongue . It's not like he yelled fire in a crowded room and caused a panic .
Thus the atomic wedgie.....think about it......

Latest posts

Back