frame fabrication not VMax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
My friend Steve has been busy in the shop. Here's a GSXR 1100 Slingshot frame being updated w/a Honda single-sided swingarm, Yamaha rear shock, and an USD front end.

The top shock mount is a billet piece sized to fit the triangulated casting on the inside of the frame. It could have been lightened a bit, but it's certainly going to withstand any load!

An air/oil-cooled GSXR 1100 engine is going in.

And, here's another custom he's been building. if you're 60 y.o. + then this should strike a very responsive chord in your memory. From 1969-1972 this bike was pretty much king of the street, sure, the Kawi two-stroke triples were probably faster, but the SOHC Honda 750 was the bike you could ride across the country on, and have a reasonable expectation of making it w/o breakdowns, or being vibrated/buzzed into submission. The owner wanted to have a bike w/modern technology, and if you've been into bikes for decades, then you probably recognize what's gone into this.

Attachments

• GSXR single sided swingarm frame.01.jpg
    GSXR single sided swingarm frame.01.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 54
  • GSXR single sided swingarm frame.02.jpg
    GSXR single sided swingarm frame.02.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 50
  • SOHC 750.01.jpg
    SOHC 750.01.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 52
  • SOHC 750.02.jpg
    SOHC 750.02.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 46
  • SOHC 750.03.jpg
    SOHC 750.03.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 46
I drag raced a 1971 honda cb750 w/CR carbs and a jardine header against a brand new 1977 750 supersport and he could not believe he lost to an older bike.
That honda is going to be gorgeous.

Yep, they could be made to run. Russ Collins (RC Engineering) and Terry Vance and Byron Hines all made some hellaciously-fast bikes, with never-seen-before engineering, and then rode the &^%$$! out of them. Probably started more cottage industries than any other bike, until the Z-1 arrived.

I don't think there was much 'special' about the SOHC Supersports, they were mostly just style differences. I do have a very special Honda 750 SOHC-powered bike awaiting its turn to be refurbished. One you won't see on the other side of the intersection, unless maybe you're pulling out of a certain venue in Birmingham, Alabama after an event.

Yes, it's already pretty-nice, you could spend an hour going over it and talking w/the builder about what he's done for the customer. As "Click" and "Clack" used to say, "a real time-waster!" (but not to we who are gearheads)

Here's another vintage Honda DOHC 450 parallel-twin scrambler he did for a customer. The 'scrambler' style always has appealed to me. My first bike was a 305 Scrambler on which I learned how to ride offroad, I sold that after a year, and bought a brand new Yamaha 360 Enduro I raced hare scrambles, enduros, and just messin' around in sand & gravel pits in MI. I still have it.

And pics of one of the 1/4-mile bikes he's building, an elderly Kawasaki air-cooled two-valve J-model, running Schnitz electronics and a big wet-shot of H2O2. Lectrons, and a rear tire that eliminates the need for a sidestand. Something in the neighborhood of 1700 cc...MTC block and a lot of machine work by my friend the machinist.

Attachments

• Honda scrambler.jpg
    Honda scrambler.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 17
  • April 2015 Iphone 351.jpg
    April 2015 Iphone 351.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 14
  • April 2015 Iphone 350.jpg
    April 2015 Iphone 350.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 12
  • April 2015 Iphone 352.jpg
    April 2015 Iphone 352.jpg