Frame straightening

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Reaction score
I have an '06 max which suffered front end damage in a collision with another vehicle, the right front header was knocked back into the cross member which runs between the motor mounts. This bent the cross member backward pulling the downtubes in a little.

Can this frame be straightened? Is it worth the cost?

Hard to say without seeing pics and knowing how much "a little" is. I would think you can get a new crossmember piece and if the rails are really just pulled in towards each other a little bit then they could be put back into place without much hassle. I'm no chassis expert but I've bent a lot of pipe/tubing for other uses. If you are slow and methodical about it you may even be able to do it yourself. It's amazing what one can do with some simple "tools of persuasion". Crowbars, screwdrivers, hammers, 2x4's and of course the most important (and might be just the ticket for your issue if combined with some 2x4's) is the BOTTLE JACK.

I would be aware of cracking paint on the frame near any welds and thoroughly inspect those area prior to any manipulation. And of course afterwards.

I'm sure it could be fixed. All depends on what you want to do with Sal's ex. If you bought it just to make some cash, and you have no time restrictions and an Ebay acc't I think you'd make more $$ going the parts route in the long run.

If you want to get a lump sum right now I'm sure you could but many are leary about buying things with a salvage title.

Or you can fix it for yourself and ride the snot outta it and then sell your's! Keep the mods you want and create a frakenstein 06 with carbon body parts and 99 forks. It all kinda depend on what you want to do.

Orrr.... you could buy my new in the plastic wrap factory frame from me for $500.00 and transfer everything over and have a safe, straight worry free 06 again!
There is a guy on ebay currently that has a late model with rear end frame damage and he can't get his opening bid after listing it twice.

There's three really viable options...thanks guys!

I really think a new cross member would put the down tubes right back where they belong...the motor mounts weren't broken or cracked, in fact I don't even think the motor is pinched, there is still play at the mounts.
Isn't the critical measurement the relationship of the steering neck to the swingarm, or something similar? I don't believe there was any undue stress in those areas, actually, from the steering neck back, there's no damage at all. That crossmember is prolly $25 or so, think I'll give that a try first.

Patmax...how come you have a '06 frame still wrapped up? It doesn't look like I'll go that route but will surely keep it in mind.

Now to go find the e bay guy, see about his front end!

Back