Front Brakes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zippo6

Reaction score
So my bike is all back together and ready to roll, the only thing stopping me right now is front brakes.... they barely grab.

Let me start from the beginning. Calipers were removed, lines left hanging on the bike, and placed in a box with other parts. Without thinking :bang head: I re-installed them as is, filled and bled till I get a lever. Based on feel, I think I still have some air in the lines. Regardless, I think I need to pull the calipers off, clean them and start over. In hindsight, they may be ceased up some or sticking, perhaps only on one side, not sure. One caliper has a slight rash mark where it made contact with the road, but otherwise they 'appear' fine. Again in hindsight, it has occurred to me that there is VERY likely some small gravel and dirt particles in at least one of the calipers and I might as well get them cleaned up now.... At the very least I need to ensure they are working fine to eliminate the calipers as a potential problem area.

Anyway to identify if pads are a problem by looking at them? How do they look if they are 'glazed over'? I have no clue..... :ummm:

Dark, Very Shiny... Sanding equally may help. Could be fluid soaked too...:confused2:

Make sure the pads are not soaked get new ones if they are 30 bucks a set for double H. If your caliper has raod rash & brakes are inconsistant its very possible that you could have a warped rotor It does not take much to warp one.

Probably just need cleaned up and bled again.
If your calipers were leaking fluid thats another story. Otherwise, drain the fluid, pull the calipers, pop out the pistons, clean the calipers thoroughly, clean the pistons, lube with brake fluid and re-install. The outer seals can be a bit rough looking as long as the inner ones are OK and not cracked you should be good to go.

Sandpaper on a piece of glass is good to clean up pads. Just do it enough to get a even, dull look to the them. You can clean up the rotors with scotch brite if desired.

Put it all back together, add fluid and bleed.

If you've got issues and need new calipers/lines/splitter let me know. I know someone who may have just what you need, off of a low mile '06. Should match your front end nicely :biglaugh:

if you need them shane i may have some floating rotors but you'd have to speak up soon!

I'm going to be getting at it in the next day or so. I'm not convinced it's the rotors at all. Leaning towards pads or calipers.

Funny Mike, but I'll keep that in mind!! Geez, that'd make my front end.... uh... YOURS!!!

Garrett, don't hold off on moving those out if the opportunity arises. Could be an excuse to go to wave rotors. :)

talk to sean bro, he'll hook you up. his prices are right on too.

unless you want them quick and he doesn't have them i'd go bikebandit, think $30 per caliper ish

But customs will bend me over bringing them across the border... I'm going to have a look locally and price them, will cost more than $30 a set, but will likely save me some money.

But customs will bend me over bringing them across the border... I'm going to have a look locally and price them, will cost more than $30 a set, but will likely save me some money.
Yep I forget about people being on the other side sometimes. Although I dont mind putting gift on the customs forms the shipping would still be more than the $ 5.20 it is in the states.

well if you ship anything to zippo. don't use the u s postal service.
he wants to ride this year. LOL

Shane, I have a set of seals for the front calipers I removed off my '99 when I rebuilt them last winter. They are in perfect condition....you're welcome to them....just say the word.

Shane, I have a set of seals for the front calipers I removed off my '99 when I rebuilt them last winter. They are in perfect condition....you're welcome to them....just say the word.

How much do you want for them?

Latest posts

Back