FRONT FORKS DILEMMA!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davelaf

Reaction score
Ola, this has probably been discussed many times already, I couldn't find thread though.
My front shocks are in need of ? Seals, hopefully is all, 16k on well maintained 02 bike.
My question is, are there other forks I could fairly easily bolt in and improve ride, cornering?
The install tools? Socket extension? Damper Rod holder?
I can figure out the seal driver?
PS, are the aftermarket springs worth it? I don't want to fiddle around with oil level or air pressure, I'd rather be riding or something.

Short answer - no

You upgrade the springs to (say) Racetech and add their Gold emulators and with the static sag adjusted you will have something that will be as good as you are likely to get. Additionally it will cost significantly less that fitting USD forks.

With the '02 not sure which damper rod you will have but I suspect it will be the 3LR 23170-20-00 which is listed for '01 onwards

Damper rod.jpg

If you do decide to go the emulator rout and have the damper rods referred to above note that you my also need to source adaptor rings although the Racetech site says they come with the kit..
Also there doesn't appear to be any means of locking the rod for removal or torquing the retaining fastener - perhaps other may be able to comment?

Attachments

• Emulators - late damper rods.pdf
    188.8 KB · Views: 0
Ola, this has probably been discussed many times already, I couldn't find thread though.
My front shocks are in need of ? Seals, hopefully is all, 16k on well maintained 02 bike.
My question is, are there other forks I could fairly easily bolt in and improve ride, cornering?
The install tools? Socket extension? Damper Rod holder?
I can figure out the seal driver?
PS, are the aftermarket springs worth it? I don't want to fiddle around with oil level or air pressure, I'd rather be riding or something.
Checkout Race Tech. They will rebuild your front forks and install a Gold Valve if you want. When you contact them request them to send you a box to package your fork for shipping. These guys are great!

Another simpler option is to use progressive springs. The stock are also progressive springs but a much lighter rate. I have found the racetech in my opinion to be a bit harsher for just day to day riding then the progressives.

So, I haven't heard anything on swapping a different front end in. R6 upside down type shocks? Not sure what is involved to do something like this, R1 ? I was hoping one of you bike fanatics would have a great idea.

So, I haven't heard anything on swapping a different front end in. R6 upside down type shocks? Not sure what is involved to do something like this, R1 ? I was hoping one of you bike fanatics would have a great idea.
The answer to your original question was 'no', there aren't, as far as I know any easy bolt in options.
What was suggested is the most cost effective means of achieving your goal i.e. to improve ride, cornering.

You can fit USD forks but from what I've been told and improvement over an upgraded spring and emulator set up is, as best minimal.

Think about what you will need to do: Acquire the forks and if they have radial brakes, the callipers and possibly m/c. Also required would be the mudguard and wheel. Brake lines may also need replacing. You will need to have suitable yokes either stepped to accommodate the shorter forks or have extension pieces made.
You will also need to re-spring and re-valve to handle the additional weight of the Max. You will need to either find a way of accommodating the speedo drive or change the speedo. Apart from that it's pretty straight forward........

Now I have no idea what the cost of the above would be but it will be significantly more expensive and time consuming than the spring/ emulator option.
The money you save could be invested in better rear shocks, solid mounds or frame braces and perhaps even 17" wheels.

We've done plenty of inverted kits over the years for customers with a variety of forks though the 02/03 R1 seems to be the best overall for length (most are very short). I should have some kits back on hand soon. But, you're going to spend $2k and up getting it all setup. Better brakes (though we have upgrades for the stock forks too), better valving (again there are options for the stock forks), and radial wheel (though the rear is the bigger trick to get a radial prepped wheel for).

Some like the look which is some of what I would say to base some of your decision on. A few examples pictured.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 1
  • user15023_pic10524_1477863051.jpg
    user15023_pic10524_1477863051.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20180602_132015.jpg
    IMG_20180602_132015.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 1
  • USD_Vmax_005.jpg
    USD_Vmax_005.jpg