Furbur's accident in Daytona

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I just saw a post on the VMOAchat list that John was in a accident while riding his B-king in Daytona. I wish him a speedy recovery.
Here is the post:

"John is at Halifax Hospital in Daytona. Millie and I have been talking to
John, and when he can't we talk to Sharon. John just came out of surgery a
few hours ago.

What happened was a car backed out of a driveway in front of John. He hit
the car, then flew over the car. Cut his forehead really bad, and tore the
ligaments and muscles that hold the pelvis together. The surgery was some
plates and screws to hold his pelvis together until it heals. They expect
him to be in a wheelchair about 3 months. He should be able to see visitors
tomorrow.

Walt Bishop

VMOA #1809"

From the VMOA site.....

John Furber in hospital from bad accident at Bikeweek
Hey guys,one of our own is down hard and could use our support. He is at Halifax Hospital,ph 386-254-4000 .
Apparently he was in a residential area going about 30 on his B-king and someone backed up into his path while backing into their driveway,and he had nowhere to go.
Major pelvis damage requiring screws and a steel plate to put back togeather.
Deep gash in forehead also. Had it not been for the helmet he likely would be dead.
Calls or visits would be appreciated for sure.
I will be at Boxenstopp saturday,and since I'm dropping bike off I will have my car there if anyone wants to ride over with me to see him. Will be 3-6 months before he walks again...

Heal up quick John.

i wish john the best ! Why , why , why , 99.999% of the time , when a biker goes down is there a cager involved ? Answer ; because they are scumbags !

I lost a good friend of mine the same way.
Stupid drivers never look behind them when backing out of anywhere:real mad:
thats why I have a love to hate relationship with the "auto"mobile
don`t even drive mine unless I really have to and, then I give the right of way to bikers. people who don`t ride just don`t get it.

Get well soon and I wish you a Godspeed recovery.

<<Dave>>:eusa_dance:

Last edited:
I lost a good friend of mine the same way.
Stupid drivers never look behind them when backing out of anywhere:real mad:
thats why I have a love to hate relationship with the "auto"mobile
don`t even drive mine unless I really have to and, then I give the right of way to bikers. people who don`t ride just don`t get it.

Get well soon and I wish you a Godspeed recovery.

<<Dave>>:eusa_dance:

And they usually try and blame the guy on the bike .
Hope he recovers well .

Goddamit..... this is going to delay the seat I just ordered isn't it.

In all seriousness tho, Godspeed John, and don't duck your physical therapist, it just makes em meaner. We'll be waiting for you out here on the road.

Just got off the phone with John. He's in good spirits considering. Hospital won't relaease him until swelling goes down and danger of infection is over. Guy that cut him off was a real idiot. Anybody still down there for Bike Week, take him a good steak to eat.
Mike Costa
VMOA #3531

Goddamit..... this is going to delay the seat I just ordered isn't it.

In all seriousness tho, Godspeed John, and don't duck your physical therapist, it just makes em meaner. We'll be waiting for you out here on the road.

LOL, We call them Physical Terrorists where I work :p Hope everything comes out okay. They say that getting your pelvis broken feels like being torn in half.

Spoke with John today. He is hoping to be out of Fla in a couple of days and back home in Pa. Sounds like he got really lucky having the helmet on. As I have had a similar injury when hit by a car as a 10yr old he is facing a long time of physio therapy, but he is a tough guy and will be fine. Keep on sending him your prayers and thoughts.

Back