Gas cap replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDIMD

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a non-locking replacement gas cap for our VMAX?
Mine, the key is sticking and thats after I have applied WD-40. I figure one day, I will probably snap off the key in the lock and be screwed.

I'm pretty sure the way the filler neck is built, we have to have a locking cap. It's possible you could have a sleeve put on and add a screw-on cap, but I haven't seen it done yet. Try a boat store. They'd at least have the parts to do something like that.

Posted with my thumbs.

Take that sucker apart (the gas cap) and clean-out the gas vapor varnish which is likely the cause of the sticky key. The 'tits' are getting gummed-up (the pieces which move when you work the key), it's an easy clean & reassemble. Try some graphite when you do it to keep things lubed.

#1 on what medic said. Seems like I had one apart years ago and I just cleaned anlubricate the internal,I couls be wron about having one apart thou maybe I just submerged in light oil overnight.

Take that sucker apart (the gas cap) and clean-out the gas vapor varnish which is likely the cause of the sticky key. The 'tits' are getting gummed-up (the pieces which move when you work the key), it's an easy clean & reassemble. Try some graphite when you do it to keep things lubed.

+1 to above. I've never herd of a replacement yet though.I leave the key in my cap. Mark's idea really. If someone wants to steal her, it helps them a little, I know. Sorry to high jack,but Progressive let me insure for high than book value.

+1 to powered graphite. Lubricants like WD-40 will attract duct and particles and make the problem worse. Anywhere that keys are made, they will sell powered graphite.

Boeshield T-9 is an aerosol so it easy to use like WD40 but if dries rather quickly to a leave a waxy lubricant. I use on my bicycle chain since sand, which is everywhere around here, will not stick to it once dry. Works well on cables and pivot points too.
http://boeshield.com/

Boeshield T-9 is an aerosol so it easy to use like WD40 but if dries rather quickly to a leave a waxy lubricant. I use on my bicycle chain since sand, which is everywhere around here, will not stick to it once dry. Works well on cables and pivot points too.
http://boeshield.com/

Never heard of that stuff. Interesting product. Thanks for the link Brian

Latest posts

Back