Gas cap replacement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuecoDoc

Reaction score
Maybe all gas caps are the same, I don't know, but is there a non-locking alternative? I'm trying to streamline gas stops because I need to make them too often, which is about every 60 miles if I don't want to see a warning light or have the display reset itself.

Maybe all gas caps are the same, I don't know, but is there a non-locking alternative? I'm trying to streamline gas stops because I need to make them too often, which is about every 60 miles if I don't want to see a warning light or have the display reset itself.

Yeah I hear ya on that I hate taking the extra 2.4559 seconds to put the key in the cap its really fusterating. Ever think of just making a tube that runs up from the filler neck and using a rubber flip top.. Ya would have to cut a hole in the seat though but this could shave off about 4.7223 seconds at each fuel stop..
Are ya in a Cannonball run?

Personally, I like taking a long time at the gas pump. Gives me a chance to stretch my legs and rest my rump. Still riding on the stock seat.

Personally, I like taking a long time at the gas pump. Gives me a chance to stretch my legs and rest my rump. Still riding on the stock seat.

I agree, plus you're on an '09 Max, spend some time to show others what a real bike looks like!

Yep, that's an order of magnitude greater than the Vmax vs Bking quarter mile difference. aka convenience.

maybe you can just chuck the cap n stuff a rag into the top.....easier to pull the rag out....that way it also can double as a snot rag...:confused2:

Maybe you can make a cheap copy of your key and leave it in the cap if the seat will still close. Use some JB weld on top of the cap so the key can't be removed but can still turn. Sounds kinda corny but I don't think there is a keyless cap you can replace it with. No one would see it anyway and you could disguise the key with something that makes it look more like a handle than a key, like the big key Yamaha gave us. Just a thought.

I think you found a purpose for the extra key. It's the kind of key they give you for the john at a gas station, so big you can't sneak away with it.

Maybe you can make a cheap copy of your key and leave it in the cap if the seat will still close. Use some JB weld on top of the cap so the key can't be removed but can still turn. Sounds kinda corny but I don't think there is a keyless cap you can replace it with. No one would see it anyway and you could disguise the key with something that makes it look more like a handle than a key, like the big key Yamaha gave us. Just a thought.

I am totally in agreement with the original post.

First off I don't understand putting a lock on a 4 gal tank when the bike consumes gas like an 18 wheeler. Given that fact, the tank will never be holding even 4 gallons, since just by driving back to your house (after a fill-up) consumes 1/8th of the tank.

All joking aside, its not even worth the effort (to someone attempting to steal gas) to do it from 09+ a V-Max... since on average you'll be getting a big 1.8 gallon score! Unless you're stealing it for your lawnmower. So other than the fact that the V-Max has always had a locked gas cap... I see no real rationale for making me take even 2.4559 seconds (see quote) to unlock it.

Generally with upgraded products biometric R&D occurs to eliminate all unecessary irritants, regardelss of their magnitude. That said, I'd pay 50 bucks to get a keyless gas cap and not have to spend even 1 extra second when filling up my tank like I have to do every other day.

Yeah I hear ya on that I hate taking the extra 2.4559 seconds to put the key in the cap its really fusterating.

This old post came back to life?
Just buy another Vmax gas cap that is keyed different than your ignition. But, if someone steals your gas or some angry chick pours sugar in your tank, this was not my idea !

Just get the spare gas tank from capt bob. You can go about 140 miles on a tank

Attachments

• vance&hines 119.jpg
    vance&hines 119.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 27
And that is why the Maxgasser is such a great idea. You can save 1.5 of the 2.5 it takes to gas up. Over the lifespan of ten years at 250 fill ups a year comes up to...that adds up to 2 minutes and eleven seconds! What will I do with all the time saved? Guess I'll go take a pee on a gas stop.

+1 on a replacement cap

I've got an older Corbin - the one with the flap. I'd love to have a non-keyed cap too, as it's really a pain in the butt to get the cap on an off in that small slot in the seat. (But it's even a bigger pain to pull the seat just to fill up. )

Back