Gas powered Welder trouble shoot

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt354

Reaction score
If there is anyone that has experiance fixing welders or can get me off on the right foot, I'd appreciate it greatly.

I have a Lincoln Model # AC-225/DC-210/6. It puts out plenty of power to the 120 and 240 volt outlets. But, no welding arc. It has a CV tap for a mig gun. I'm wondering if there is a switch to go CV to stick I'm not seeing?
I'm getting 68-76 volts across the work cable studs when turning the fine voltage dial. I need a set of cables, but don't want to spring if I can't get an arc to strike. I used cheap jumper cables to check for spark. Nothing. It sure would help me out if I could use this machine. The 15hp B&S engine runs great. At worst I've got a 6k generator on wheels.
Steve-o

Last edited:
Hi SDt,
The fine voltage controle must be truned all the way to high to get AC.
See if you can borrow a ground cable and a mig gun and try. Make sure all connections are tight ( inside the machine also) I had a Miller Thunderbolt where the ground connection inside the machine came loose and allowed a large buss bar to touch the main coil----- no the machine wouldn't weld but it would spark.

Put the machine nomenclacture ( Lincoln Model # AC-225/DC-210/6) into Google and you'll get and answer for sure.
also--- is there a set up for CC??
if so I'd try that first.

A good work cable is important in both SMAW and GMAW.

Good luck,
Lew

Last edited:
Thanks Lew. I tried the high setting. I think it's internal. Time to open her up. I did find an operators manual with a schematic. I didn't check voltage at the CV stud, but will.

Well, I found a wiring diagram, pulled the cover off and started my usuall tbl shooting procedure. At the end of the problem. I cleaned contacts up to the reostat, douched everything down with wd-40 and fired her up. She throws an arch now. I put a set od jumper cales on her and whamo. I got juice in A/C and both DC modes. The CV setting is hot too. I'm phyc'd. I'll be puchasing a couple of lenghts of #2 wire tomorrow and an electrode holder and grounding clamp. This old welder gets good ratings. 100% duty cycle at 200 amps. I'm hoping I can get a TIG torch set up on it. I like when things get fixed without new parts. It's been a while, but I used to weld a lot at work. Any welders out there?
Steve-o

Back