Gauge Cover needs securing after dropped

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karmakatt

Reaction score
Hi guys-
I launched with the F'en Disc Alarm, again.
This time, I dropped her. After getting her upright, I inspected the damage. Looks like the Clutch Lever needs replacing (bent).

The question is: The cover that sits over the gauges, is that held in place with bolts/screws? It seems to sit perfectly in place, just not secured. It still has the rubber/foam "L" shape spacers that sit against the frame and I noticed there's two threaded holes in the cover that look like they fit on top of the gauge housing..

Should I just dab a bit of crazy glue or ??:ummm:

So besides the cosmetic stuff: bar end, mirror, lever (and the cover mentioned above) anything else common to a very low speed drop?

Man, she only has 4750 KM!! What an idiot!!:bang head::damn angry:

Thanks fellas..

If your talking about the brushed aluminum cover its got two or three Allen screws holding it down.....if you mean the hole cluster it's held down two nuts under faux tank cover that floats on rubber mounts...
Hope that helps....
Post some pic,way easier to see what your asking.

If your talking about the brushed aluminum cover its got two or three Allen screws holding it down.....if you mean the hole cluster it's held down two nuts under faux tank cover that floats on rubber mounts...
Hope that helps....
Post some pic,way easier to see what your asking.

So it floats on those rubber mounts.. I see the nuts.. The cover has too "slip" into position than?? I'm guessing I'll need to remove the Faux Tank Covet to sit the cluster cover correctly?

Have you seen engine guards bend?

I had her on the centre stand and it looked like one side (the side it fell on) was sitting on a small upwards angle.. If they do "bend" is it possible that damage was done to the area where the guard joins too the frame??

Just curious if you've heard of this happening when dropped..

Thx!!

Lee

Ya once u get cover off it will make sense how it attaches..

Good thing u had the crash bars they did their job saved side of your motor.

Depends how hard or how it hit but hopefully just the bars bent not the frame. Take them off and good a good look also for cracks in the frame...you should be ale to straighten them with little heat and a bench vise.....

Ya once u get cover off it will make sense how it attaches..

Good thing u had the crash bars they did their job saved side of your motor.

Depends how hard or how it hit but hopefully just the bars bent not the frame. Take them off and good a good look also for cracks in the frame...you should be ale to straighten them with little heat and a bench vise.....

Didn't hit to hard.. Ive held her up before so as I was launching, the alarm disc caught the fork and as I came to a halt It went over and I layed her down controlled.. Don't have the lower body strength lately :-(

I'll take them off and have a good look soon..

Thanks for setting me in the right direction..

I'm from Toronto..
You??

-Lee
VMOA 5652

Argh, that sucks Lee. If the plastic is damaged the gauge cover is a good candidate for doing some plastic welding and reinforcing. I hope the nerf bar can be fixed up.

Argh, that sucks Lee. If the plastic is damaged the gauge cover is a good candidate for doing some plastic welding and reinforcing. I hope the nerf bar can be fixed up.

Thx Red.. My bad. I've already done this, with another type of lock. That demoed the gear assembly.. I was able to hold her up than..
Thing is, I'm getting to be a better rider!! I was making a u-turn type left from the curb and I was looking exactly where I was supposed to make a good turn and viola'..
Thx man!!

What is the disc alarm?

It's a Xena xx10 series. Works like a F'en charm. There I am with a passerby helping right her and the alarm goes off.. They say it should be placed at 3-6 o'clock for maximum sensitivity. I had it at 12 oclock :-(

I have repaired case guards with a rubber mallet before. If just slightly bent, you can leave on the bike and hit the guard with a large rubber mallet in the direction opposite the bend. May have to hit fairly hard but works.

I have repaired case guards with a rubber mallet before. If just slightly bent, you can leave on the bike and hit the guard with a large rubber mallet in the direction opposite the bend. May have to hit fairly hard but works.

Thx man!!
I'll give it a go..

Another question guys-

When you lay her down, horizontal like.., does that mean that the float bowls andd other carb adjustments) need reseting?
I road her home and kept her on my center stand. Before I left for work, I choked her and she fired up and seemed to warm up no problem. The only leaking so far was gas on the road when she was laying there. Otherwise I can't see any other fluid on the ground (or body for that matter) where she's been sitting on her ?-stand.:ummm:

Thx again-

Lee
VMOA 5652

My carbs were not affected even when I had a crash that put me on the right side and caused $4000 in damage. I did have a lot of chrome and accessories plus helmet and gear that added into that total though. If bike is running fine, don't worry... Mine laid on its right side for several minutes while I was somewhat dazed from my head hitting the ground. Ruined my favorite helmet... :damn angry:

My carbs were not affected even when I had a crash that put me on the right side and caused $4000 in damage. I did have a lot of chrome and accessories plus helmet and gear that added into that total though. If bike is running fine, don't worry... Mine laid on its right side for several minutes while I was somewhat dazed from my head hitting the ground. Ruined my favorite helmet... :damn angry:

Two Words..

F'en Sucks..

Glad you weren't hurt too bad.. $4G's.. Yow-za..
Was someone at fault?

Two Words..

F'en Sucks..

Glad you weren't hurt too bad.. $4G's.. Yow-za..
Was someone at fault?

Guy two lanes to my right suddenly wanted to turn left and crossed three lanes in a sudden left turn. I was able to miss him but the heavy braking and my sudden two lane change to my right caused my front to wash out and slam me to the ground in the center of the intersection. Crossing the slippery centers of two lanes is what caused the loss of traction. If I hadn't done the countersteering technique, I would have t-boned him. It all happened in a split second.

The guy got two tickets. One for illegal lane change (well, doh!) and one for causing an accident! Never heard of that one before but he was nailed because of witnesses. Progressive was great though. They gave me no trouble or argument about anything. The adjuster photoed everything and replaced every damaged item. Went online at my house, got prices and printed me a check on a printer in his car. When I found more damage after taking bike apart, he came back and did the same thing. My best ever experience with an insurance company. They did hold my $999 deductible till the guy's insurance paid up. They handled the collecting from his insurance.

Guy two lanes to my right suddenly wanted to turn left and crossed three lanes in a sudden left turn. I was able to miss him but the heavy braking and my sudden two lane change to my right caused my front to wash out and slam me to the ground in the center of the intersection. Crossing the slippery centers of two lanes is what caused the loss of traction. If I hadn't done the countersteering technique, I would have t-boned him. It all happened in a split second.

The guy got two tickets. One for illegal lane change (well, doh!) and one for causing an accident! Never heard of that one before but he was nailed because of witnesses. Progressive was great though. They gave me no trouble or argument about anything. The adjuster photoed everything and replaced every damaged item. Went online at my house, got prices and printed me a check on a printer in his car. When I found more damage after taking bike apart, he came back and did the same thing. My best ever experience with an insurance company. They did hold my $999 deductible till the guy's insurance paid up. They handled the collecting from his insurance.

What an experience.. I know there's so much more important things to worry about than dumping our rides, but man it sucks!!

I had a look again at my Gauge Cluster Cover. I removed my Faux Tank and tried slipping the cover in place against the Gauges. The Rubber/Foam sits well but I'm going to remove the gauge cluster from the frame and use some fine 3/4 or 1" bolts to secure the cover to the Gauge from behind. The cover sits well but bounces around. The Gauge Cover has two recessed threaded nuts that butt up against the Gauge Cluster Frame that are begging to be bolted. Is this exclusive to the 06' model?? Plus, I have no idea how it stayed in place before the accident and neither the Cover or the Gauge Cluster looks damaged..
Sorry guys, no pics till later..

Cheers,

Lee
VMOA 5652

ya pics will help but sounds like you got a good plan to make it work anyways....

oh to answer your ques I float between the yukon and west of montreak close to ont boarder....

Now the tack, etc housing is not solidly mounted. It does move back and forward easily. Not sure if you actually have a problem but I may be misunderstanding... Pictures might help me visualize the problem.

There are no differences in the mounting, etc in any of the years the Max was produced.

The shroud/cover has 2 threaded holes that line up on top of the Gauge assembly against a tab moulded on the side. On the bottom is the foam/rubber "L" shape that squeezes between the Gauge assembly tab and the actual frame. The cover will fit nicely into place but at the slightest touch will become disloged. I'll set up pics tomorrow..
Perhaps the shroud/cover is not meant to separate from the Gauge Assembly?

Perhaps the shroud/cover is not meant to separate from the Gauge Assembly?

They can be separated. Chrome ones are sometimes available on eBay. Either custom made or from Canada where they were available at one time. Never on a US Max though. I would love to have a chrome one as my bike is mostly chrome anyway... :biglaugh:

Back