Gen 1 V-Max exhaust, a modern thread.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm suggesting you investigate Sean Morley's kit, Morley's Muscle.
This is what I have and am very happy with the way my bike runs. Cant hurt to listen to his input. Had Sean do the work and never have to mess with my carbs except for the occasional sync. Keep the tank topped off with fresh fuel and run some bg44k through it a couple times a year just because....

This is what I have and am very happy with the way my bike runs. Cant hurt to listen to his input. Had Sean do the work and never have to mess with my carbs except for the occasional sync. Keep the tank topped off with fresh fuel and run some bg44k through it a couple times a year just because....
Thanks, I plan to engage Sean once I'm a little more homed in on what I'm going to do so I don't waste a bunch of his time. How'd he work on yours being in NJ and him in Wichita?

Incorrect. ALL gen 1's share the same size exhaust components which can be mixed and matched as you desire.
The Kerker's that were purcahsed will work just fine for all years gen 1s
Just want to clarify, '85 exhaust is larger dia.(1mm OD) on the header side and the same as ALL Gen.1 on the muffler side?

Just want to clarify, '85 exhaust is larger dia.(1mm OD) on the header side and the same as ALL Gen.1 on the muffler side?
The mufflers are different outlet sizing (I think 2mm ID). ALL header pipes are the same. All muffler inlet sizes are the same. All head connection sizes are the same. Vboost butterflies are different with 86-07 being 2mm larger ID.

Hmm... interesting!
So all mufflers and exhaust components for gen1 are interchangeable ??
I thought '85 was different ???

The mufflers are different outlet sizing (I think 2mm ID). ALL header pipes are the same. All muffler inlet sizes are the same. All head connection sizes are the same. Vboost butterflies are different with 86-07 being 2mm larger ID.
so does that mean that the 85 bike doesn't go as well as the later years?

To get the most ideal factory components you would use 85 mufflers and 86-07 vboost assemblies. BUT, it's so miniscule difference that it doesn't really matter. You will see maximum benefit by changing out to a full header and good jet kit.

has anyone dyno the blackwidow exhaust system?
do they lose or gain from others?
do you have to re tune to get them to work correctly?
I have had the Black Widow system (front and rear headers and mufflers) on my gen 1 for the past 5 years on standard jets and other carburetor settings and engine runs perfectly. I really do mean perfectly. Quite a lot noisier than standard. Have not dynoed the bike with this system however and if I want to go faster I get out the gen 2!

I have had the Black Widow system (front and rear headers and mufflers) on my gen 1 for the past 5 years on standard jets and other carburetor settings and engine runs perfectly. I really do mean perfectly. Quite a lot noisier than standard. Have not dynoed the bike with this system however and if I want to go faster I get out the gen 2!
i have the blackwidow exhaust and it does sound great, and bike runs extremely well.

Back