Gen 2 clutch options?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just did a bunch of maintenance and carbon fiber upgrades on my vmax 1700 and used 10w 40 yamalube and my 4th and 5th slip pretty bad.. before 5th slipped alittle.. 18000 miles, got it at 13000 as second owner and as far as i know clutch has never been replaced
So what clutches are best for the gen 2 vmax and what alternatives to gurued gears double d kit are there since its currently out of stock?

Attachments

• IMG_5749.jpeg
    IMG_5749.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1
Hi,
That 10W40 Yamalube you used, was that by any chance a full synthetic oil? Because that will cause the clutch to slip. You are better off with a mineral based oil or a semi synthetic. Wet clutches are not designed to run on full synthetic oil. I am talking from personal experience backed by many Vmaxers that had the same problem!

Hi,
That 10W40 Yamalube you used, was that by any chance a full synthetic oil? Because that will cause the clutch to slip. You are better off with a mineral based oil or a semi synthetic. Wet clutches are not designed to run on full synthetic oil. I am talking from personal experience backed by many Vmaxers that had the same problem!
Thats not true. I use Yamalube 15W50 full synthetic in mine and I have not experienced one RPM worth of slip on my Gen 2. I have put 38K on my bike using this oil. There is nothing wrong with full synthetic if the oil is made for motorcycles with the correct friction modifiers.

What will burn up clutches.....improper use, more power than the clutch was designed for or incorrect oil/lack of oil changes(maintenance).

Hi,
Well i went with the jaso requirement for the motor and what the clutch goes by, before i jump down the oil rabbit hole war im gonna replace the clutch and do the spring/Double D upgrade and go from there.. im second owner of this bike and have no idea what was done to it before me

One other thing to check is the inner basket. They can work the rivets loose and allow the clutch to slip. I also am not a fan of the synthetic oil in these bikes. Some have ok experience but that's not been mine.

One other thing to check is the inner basket. They can work the rivets loose and allow the clutch to slip. I also am not a fan of the synthetic oil in these bikes. Some have ok experience but that's not been mine.
Thanks Sean!

Well i went with the jaso requirement for the motor and what the clutch goes by, before i jump down the oil rabbit hole war im gonna replace the clutch and do the spring/Double D upgrade and go from there.. im second owner of this bike and have no idea what was done to it before me
When I had the problem, I did the complete Double D with basket mod, no plates replaced, and I changed to Yamalube Semi-Synthetic and never experienced the problem again. This was my experience, I am obviously not as well experienced in these matters as our mate Pighuntingpuppy!

Been running Motul 300V since the day I got my bike. Put 32k miles on it and havent had any issues with slipping. Mine is tuned with Double D mod. I trust seans wisdom here but im speaking from my own personal experiences.

Hi All, Seems i can order Additional spring And Gasket but anyone know where i can get the deeper retaining ring from in the uk ?
I have shipped retaining rings to UK. $100 should get you one

Back