Gen 2 starting issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExactChange

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’ve searched high and low. Can’t find anything. So my 09 turns over really slow. I know people say this is common but it can’t be how this one is - sometimes even after w the new battery and sitting on a tender for days (green light) it barley starts. I always say to myself I can’t believe it started.

Sometimes too it will just click and I have to put it in gear and rock it and then try it. I start it in neutral every time. The battery is only 6 months old. I tried. changing the relay to a DB Electric and it does the same. Today it did the clicking thing but when it turned over it sounded like it should so the video is a waste. I also hooked my jump pack up to it to see what it would do and it still turn over just as slow.

Simplest things to check....clean and tight battery connections. Grounding points to the frame and starter. Lastly is the starter in good condition.

Now.....My 2009....I wouldnt say mine turned over slowly....just excessively before starting. I went with a lithium battery from Batteries Plus. That extra static volt made the difference. Turns over much faster and starts on the 3rd or 4th revolution instead of the 7th or 8th it used to.

I would check basics first and maybe a bit of voltage drop testing. This is my suggestion.

Simplest things to check....clean and tight battery connections. Grounding points to the frame and starter. Lastly is the starter in good condition.

Now.....My 2009....I wouldnt say mine turned over slowly....just excessively before starting. I went with a lithium battery from Batteries Plus. That extra static volt made the difference. Turns over much faster and starts on the 3rd or 4th revolution instead of the 7th or 8th it used to.

I would check basics first and maybe a bit of voltage drop testing. This is my suggestion.
It’s funny people say that theirs turns over excessively but mine seems to start pretty quick for a v4 lol. I’ve gotta get at the starter. I wanna try that connection before I try a new battery. Hopefully that won’t be a headache to get at

I had near the same issue I switched to lithium and crank faster and started up faster . Another issue I heard was the inside the starter it's gets very dirty and needs to be cleaned

Hey guys,

I’ve searched high and low. Can’t find anything. So my 09 turns over really slow. I know people say this is common but it can’t be how this one is - sometimes even after w the new battery and sitting on a tender for days (green light) it barley starts. I always say to myself I can’t believe it started.

Sometimes too it will just click and I have to put it in gear and rock it and then try it. I start it in neutral every time. The battery is only 6 months old. I tried. changing the relay to a DB Electric and it does the same. Today it did the clicking thing but when it turned over it sounded like it should so the video is a waste. I also hooked my jump pack up to it to see what it would do and it still turn over just as slow.
Hi
Do you have any code showing my 2019 was showing code 12 and dealership change pick up coil and stator assembly no issue then
Gk

I don’t have any codes or anything but I just tried it again and when it clicked I hit the starter a few times and it turned right over. Safe to say the starters going.

Were you able to access the starter wiring? Test light or DVOM will at least tell you if power is making it to the starter. Eliminate the wiring as potential cause.

Were you able to access the starter wiring? Test light or DVOM will at least tell you if power is making it to the starter. Eliminate the wiring as potential cause.
It’s certainly getting power to it. Someone somewhere said maybe clean the inside ? I don’t know I’ve never done anything like that. It’s like a $600 starter! Bikes an 2009 with 20k… maybe I can have a local shop take a look at it. I’ve never taken one apart I don’t want to be screwed. Looks like a headache to take off

Not attempting to hijack, but...
Just getting clicks after refueling last weekend. Got a jump via cables and took the old 230 cca Yuasa to Batteries Plus and it showed a full charge and 130 cca. I inquired about a lithium upgrade and after a few pecks on the computer, the associate said they carried nothing compatible for a Gen2 Vmax. Left with a 225cca "Xtreme" AGM.

Hey guys,

Battery replacement seems to have fixed my starting issue. My 2017 Vmax was cranking over a bit laboriously (but has been starting), so I searched the forums and saw different opinions -everything from "they are all that way" to "rebuild the starter". In my experience, a slow cranking is usually do to a weak battery and eventually damages other components (the starter motor most often). The old battery was showing 12.94 after setting an hour from a full charge, and the new battery shows 13.35 volts after setting an hour from a full charge. The battery I bought is the NOCO NLP14 and now the beast roars immediately: cranking revolutions are quicker and it starts with just a couple revolutions versus the 5 to 10 that it was taking. It's a 500 CCAmp lithium battery, fits perfectly with one of the included spacers underneath, and it is lighter -so no more "crankin away at it". It starts easily now, just as it should.

Please keep things civil here. If you want to disagree, do it without the insults and taunts.

Back