Gen. I ram air

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think we need to find somone with the right equipment to make an injection mold so we can get the cost down. then i would buy one

Think i'll call tomorrow and see if they sell just the scoops! They may throw a little more air in the direction of my flatslides. Sure look sweet!

i think we need to find somone with the right equipment to make an injection mold so we can get the cost down. then i would buy one

Injection those parts trough ABS or GRILON will multiple thier price...injection mold iteself is a very expensive part.

Comnpletly useless , not working add for v-max.

Last edited:
Quick someone tell Footnote! Cus his baby girl doesnt really need a collage fund. =)

Nice find btw

doubt youre gonna get any real performance gain out of this mod, no offense. its like aruging about SRAD 90s gsxrs lol

I cant count the times I had to admit my scoops are fake covers. No more..

Ricks a decent guy. Write him and get his #.

Ram air only starts to work over 100mph and with efi.

Ram air is pretty much a marketing scheme....looks good in sales brochures but not much else.

I dont think I agree with you guys about ram air. The reading I have done and the documentaries I have watched show that it works. Has been used in cars for ages and in the early 90's made its way to bikes.

I think for the most part the reason for the so called "ram air" on cars are merely a catchy name to bring in the cool air from outside the engine compartment. If you look at the size of functional ram air scoops they have huge openings, placed forward to get a undisturbed air flow into the scoops.

I can't agree,
I had a 1995 CBR600 (F3) and a friend had a 1994 CBR600 (F2)
The only thing that was different then the F2 in the engine was the ram air.

F3 was quicker.

I remember keeping accelerating when the speedo was slammed at max (280kph).
Note, We both Had full yoshimora set, stage 1 Dynojet, hot cams, and I had my engine ported.

Quick someone tell Footnote! Cus his baby girl doesnt really need a collage fund. =)

Nice find btw

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Sadly I dont think I can get over the fact pushing unfiltered air into my engine. That and I want the Gen2 scopes for my bike. :p

Ram air is like Communism. It does work, in theory. So many variables though.

Last edited:
This is how it was once explained to me. Not being an engineer, It makes sense to me.

It will work, but it depends on the design and how much air your carbs will inhale.

on cars you have big ol carbs sometimes twin 1050/1150 dominators or the big demons that inhale alot of air.

The honda/Kaw/Suz ..ect ram air opening is pretty small, so there is little wasted air.

The Vmax air, although good looking and somewhat functional, will grab too much air, thus being a hinderance. As an example, take a piece of cardboard and cut a big ol hole in the center and drive down the road holding it out the window. You can feel the resistance, but it still is pretty easy to hold. This is the vehicle with the big ol carbs or monster throttle body. Now take another same size piece of cardboard and reduce the size of the hole and hold it out the window. This is similar to the smaller carb, you'll see the wind resistance is greater.

The bike can only inhale so much air, before the rest is being wasted and acting as resistance. Thats why the ram air on the sport bikes don't have a huge opening. It's about as big as some car ram air. bigger in some cases (Dodge's "Air-grabber") Next time your driving down the road, cup your hand and put it out the window, grabs alot of air.

I think if someone would build a ram air setup, that had a pressure relief valve to let the air buildup through at a certain PSI (kinda like a blow off valve, but it would be as simple as adding some exit holes) it would be more functional and not act as airbrakes at high speeds.

To me its one of those performance things your going to pay for but only see a little improvement. I think the Boxenstopp scooped faux tank, will provide a positive pressure inside the airbox, if you use the Morley kit or remove the "y" (may need air correctors though, due to the added air) and foam up the sides of the airbox/filter to seal the faux tank with the airbox.

I see your point Rebar. I've heard the comments about the fake scoops. I'm pretty sure everyone has. My favorite was as a cruise, when someone said "...Yeah, but the scoops are fake" His buddy shut him up with the quick replay "Maybe, but the bike is real and I wouldn't fuck with it."

Back