GM Truck Parts Source

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I looking for a good source for parts for my '98 GMC Sierra 1500. It has a 5.7L motor, 4wd and has 125k miles on the odometer. The problem is that my R front CV Joints are making some noise and needs to fixed.
It doesn't look like too bad of a job to replace unless the bolts are rusted on which is a good possibility living here in Michigan!
I was thinking of replacing the entire axle from the differential on out. Do they make a re-manufactured unit or is it better to just stick with OEM?

Hey Brian,
I just dropped over $625 for the wifes '03 Trailblazer. 4 ball joints, RH front wheel bearing/hub, LH front transaxle and diff and transfer case oil changes.....at PepBoys....YIKES!!.......I'm sure someone will pop up on here and tell you where to get simular for $400 or something.....LOL.....guess what i'm doing this Saturday??

Ouch! Sounds like a fun filled Saturday Mike! I have a good GM shop to take it to but this doesn't look too bad to do the job especially since it's getting warmer! I need to build my garage with in-floor heating but I might fall asleep on the creeper if I get too comfortable!
Are you using OEM or re-manufactured parts?

Hey Brian, Have you checked www.rockauto.com ? I use them to keep my '83 truck in tip top shape. Great inventory and prices.

ramgx.jpg

image1flb.jpg

Thanks for the link KJ, they have a few more options than Advanced Auto has online. We have a Napa, Advance Auto, and a Car Quest parts stores here, unfortunately no Rock Auto.
I should be able to get a pretty good discount though a mechanic friend but wondered if anyone had any luck with any non OEM CV joints. Some of the non OEM units are like half the cost but run the gambit from $46 to $100.
My instinct is go with OEM but there is no sense throw away good Vmax mod money if I don't have to!:biglaugh:

I use NAPA Auto for both work and personal projects, I'll go to Advance or the Zone when I need to, I would not have a problem with aftermarket axles either.................Tom.

I use Greg at www.paceperformance.com for all my GM parts needs. Great price and great service.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

It's been awhile since I ordered anything from Pace but the transaction (online) went well for me. As far as most items I simply get them from Oreilly (though we used to use Advance heavily and more so when they were Western Auto and or Parts America).

I concern myself more with warranty then absolute bottom pricing.

Sean

I looking for a good source for parts for my '98 GMC Sierra 1500. It has a 5.7L motor, 4wd and has 125k miles on the odometer. The problem is that my R front CV Joints are making some noise and needs to fixed.
It doesn't look like too bad of a job to replace unless the bolts are rusted on which is a good possibility living here in Michigan!
I was thinking of replacing the entire axle from the differential on out. Do they make a re-manufactured unit or is it better to just stick with OEM?
I have a 93 GMC,
After a bit of shopping around i found a friendly parts counter employee at a local dealer that gives me preferred pricing that makes a lot of the aftermarket stuff less appealing. OEM will almost always be more money but I have never had quality issues. The kicker was a distributor I looked at from Napa for my 454 that apparently had its drive gear manufactured via a beaver knawing it out of round stock. No Thanks......
For suspension steering or drive line I at least go to a name brand supplier like Dana, Moog etc. as I have had problems with the cheapo replacements.

Back