Going to fine-tune my carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarchin

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of the posts on tuning the Vmax carbs but I haven't run across anything like where to start, and everything that should be done. I don't get to ride much and while I'm not having any problems at all, I kind of want to become familiar with this if/when something does happen.

My setup is:
1985 Vmax with 31xxx miles,
K & N air filter, and a 4 into 1 Supertrapp exhaust with 8 plates, and the previous owner said he thought there may be a Dynojet Stage 1 kit put in but he doesn't know, and I have no idea how to find this out. If anyone knows how to tell, it would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me.

I have plenty of tools, including a carb synchronizer and a good work area, and I have synced the carbs. The carbs were way out of sync when I checked them last year, and I think was causing the number 3 spark plug to foul out quite a bit, but that has seemed to cleared up now.

Today I checked my a/f screws, and found that all four were one turn out. I haven't had any problems idling or running, but everyone seems to say around 2 turns to 2 1/2 turns out. I turned the screws out to 2 1/4 turns and I'm not sure I can tell if there's any difference.

Also, I will probably be doing the peashooter and the shotgun cleaning methods unless they are not necessary if there are no issues.

And, one thread showed how to adjust the length of the vboost opening. Mine was set right in the middle and the vboost was opening 3/4 of the travel. Is it OK to set this so that the travel goes from closed to fully open?

Many, Many thanks to anyone that has advice to offer...

best treatment if nothing is wrong is just to ride. if your mileage sucks or similar i'd say then start looking into things

some seafoam in the tank every once in a while does wonders

quickest way to tell on the stage 1 is probably that the a/f screws were accessible. 1 turn out seems like a small amt but could be right. second easiest way to tell might be to look if your needles are adjustable.

When the stage 1 kit is installed a lot of people will remove the air box "T". The Dynojet stage 1 kit comes with adjustable needles and shorter slide springs, which is what most install as far as stage 1 goes. Fairly easy to check.

As far as fine-tuning your carbs, a lot of times (what I've seen) is someone will buy a Vmax that has been tuned or have carb kits installed. The issue comes in when a good running bike is bought somewhere and then taken to it's new home that is quite a bit different from where the bike was tuned. What I mean is say you purchase a bike from someone who lives 1500' above sea level in a fairly dry area of the country, and then take the bike to Jacksonville Fl where it's near sea level and humid. The air quality and pressure are totally different. That's where the guys on here can really help to get you dialed in.

Having that said, if the bike is running good and crisp for ya, I'd leave it be and ride the rubber off it. If it's something you're looking to get into I'd suggest getting one of Sean Morley's kits and install that. It needs a good flowing exhaust to really benefit from it and your exhaust may already do that, I'm not sure.

Just my $.02

Like stated above, if its running good and getting good mileage, ride it. But if you feel like you must dive into the carbs, I would suggest completely disassembling and a good cleaning, including checking the float heights and inspecting/replacing all of the gaskets and o-rings. Make sure to use OEM carb parts....Sean can hook you up with all you need!! As far as the vboost setting, there is a setting you can check while the carbs are removed....you cycle the key and then check a certain distance with a feeler gauge. I believe its shown in the manual how to do it, or you might even find it here through a search.

+1. What exactly are you hoping for? If the spoon scoops up soup, no need to polish it. You might be asking for more work or more trouble than it is worth.
can-o-worms.gif

Back