GPS for Speedometer, Trip and Odometer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
I have been toying with the idea of using my GPS as a speedometer but it does not have the trip/ odometer functions. I kinda like the map displaying the local features and the ability to zoom in/ out but if I would need to know the mileage if I were to use it as a replacement for my current speedometer.
I have looked around at some of the GPS units available but not finding what I want. So I thought I'd see what type of experiance we have here with GPS's.
Here is my basic wishes:
Size ~4"w X ~5"h X ~1.5"d
Functions:Speed, tripmeter, odometer(?), mapping, waterproofness(1), power from bike, battery power.
Post any ideas that may fit the criteria above. Also post any GPS's that you may be using and how you use your unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0362.jpg
    IMG_0362.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0363.jpg
    IMG_0363.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0476.jpg
    IMG_0476.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 17
I have been toying with the idea of using my GPS as a speedometer but it does not have the trip/ odometer functions. I kinda like the map displaying the local features and the ability to zoom in/ out but if I would need to know the mileage if I were to use it as a replacement for my current speedometer.
I have looked around at some of the GPS units available but not finding what I want. So I thought I'd see what type of experiance we have here with GPS's.
Here is my basic wishes:
Size ~4"w X ~5"h X ~1.5"d
Functions:Speed, tripmeter, odometer(?), mapping, waterproofness(1), power from bike, battery power.
Post any ideas that may fit the criteria above. Also post any GPS's that you may be using and how you use your unit.

Garmin Zumo 550, it has trip functions and a gas monitoring feature. I dunno about an odometer. There is no need for road GPS' up here
but if there was, this would be the unit I'd go with. I had a garmin on my boat so I could go back out to my old fishing spots on the lakes.
http://reviews.cnet.com/gps/garmin-zumo-550/4505-3490_7-31995597.html?tag=contentMain;compare

General reviews and comparisons of others, but only two the garmin and the tomtom that are motorcycle specific and water proof.
http://www.buymotorcyclegps.com/

i forget the model number i'll look it up but garmin is a great unit. my buddy got one and took it one his 1.5month africa trip on is gs1200 and loved it. waterproof and everything. easy to use, upload data bases and lots of features, you wont be disapointed with the garmin. I use them lots for work.

The Garmin Nuvi 200W is close but it is dicontinued...:confused2:
also the Garmin zumo 450 is nice but more expensive....

Attachments

• Garmin Nuvi 200W GPS 1.jpg
    Garmin Nuvi 200W GPS 1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Garmin Zumo 450 1.jpg
    Garmin Zumo 450 1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 3
RedBone, you still have space on your handle bar with all the stuff ? lol

Garmin released a new model serie for motorcycle here

But IMO better to go for a older and cheaper model and to have it in a ziplock :)

From what you said, you don't need anything as fancy/expensive as the Zumo or "car navigation" GPS units. The waterproof MC versions of those are also big $$$ also, several times more than the regular versions.

I have a Garmin eTrex "Venture HC" handheld unit. Think it cost about $160. It has a full color screen, can display street maps, and has every trip function you can think of, speed, max speed, like 3 trip odometers, a lifetime odometer, ETA to turn or waypoint, altimiter, compass, all the way down to little stuff like "rate of turn". Too much to list. It's about the size of a regular ipod, but a little thicker. It's also waterproof. Takes regular AA batteries but I believe a rechargeable pack is available. Lasts ~20 hours on a pair if you keep the backlight off.

If you buy the software to display detailed street maps(only shows major roads by default), you can create routes/tracks on your computer and then send them to the device, and it can give you turn-by-turn directions. The Venture HC has enough memory to hold detailed maps for nearly all of NY state, other versions hold more.

I love the thing, it's damn near indestructible too. I've dropped it going 50 on my minibike, it skipped and tumbled down the road and was still on when I retrieved it...wasn't even scuffed.

Back