Great rolemodel

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MAXXMAN93-4301

Reaction score
I ,BEING A ORLANDO MAGIC FAN ,HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE PLAYOFFS AND I WAS VERY EXCITED WHEN THEY WON THE EASTERN CONFERENCE TITLE. THIS ASIDE AS I WATCHED THE END OF THE GAME,:rant: I AM HIT BY THE CAMERA FOLLOWING LEBRON WALK DIRECTLY OFF THE COURT. I PLAYED SPORTS AS A KID AND HAVE WATCHED SPORTS OFF AND ON FOR YEARS, BUT WHEN DID NOT CONGRATULATING THE WINNER BECOME OK?:ummm::ummm::bang head: LEBRON IS A GREAT BASKETBALL PLAYER AND CLEVELAND NEEDS GOOD NEWS BUT THIS ARROGANT CHILDISH BEHAVIOR HAS REALLY GOT TO STOP. THOUSANDS OF YOUNG PEOPLE ACROSS THE WORLD FOLLOW LEBRON'S CAREER AND I FEEL SICK FOR THE EXAMPLE HE SET AND FOR HOW HE REPRESENTED MY COUNTRY. I SHOULDN'T SINGLE HIM OUT TOTALLY, THE WHINEY CHILDISH BEHAVIOR OF ATHLETES AND ACTORS IN GENERAL IS PATHETIC. I DONT REMEMBER ELVIS OR SINATRA COMPLAINING PUBLICLY ALL THE TIME OR REMEMBER BIRD OR MAGIC CRYING FOR A FOUL AFTER EVERY PLAY!! I MEAN THERE ARE MILIONS OF PEOPLE WITHOUT JOBS OR GOOD PROSPECTS THAT BUSTED THEIR ASSES EVERY DAY AND LOST THEIR JOBS BUTWE HAVE TO LISTEN TO THESE INSANELY OVERPAID PREMODONNAS CRY :tantrum:ABOUT HOW UNFAIR THINGS ARE!!!! WHAT THE F*&%K?!?!?:damn angry::teeth angry::real mad:

I HAD TO EXPLAIN THIS TO MY 15 YEAR OLD SON SO HE DOESNT GROW UP TO BE SO SELF CENTERED AND STUPID.

SORRY FOR THE RANT:ranting: IT WAS BOTHERING ME.

I don't watch sports... 95% of them are still kids that don't know what real life is. I WON'T watch someone get paid millions to play a sport. Especially when all these kids and people are without in this country...

The Detroit Pistons starters, lead by Isiah Thomas, walked off the floor before the end of the game during a playoff loss to the Chicago Bulls. Total lack of class, I never was a fan of the "Bad Boys". Dwight Howard has had his own problems that just reinforces the reasons I don't watch the NBA anymore.:bang head:
Good thing hockey is on at the same time! Go Wings!:punk:

I ,BEING A ORLANDO MAGIC FAN ,HAVE BEEN WATCHING THE PLAYOFFS AND I WAS VERY EXCITED WHEN THEY WON THE EASTERN CONFERENCE TITLE. THIS ASIDE AS I WATCHED THE END OF THE GAME,:rant: I AM HIT BY THE CAMERA FOLLOWING LEBRON WALK DIRECTLY OFF THE COURT. I PLAYED SPORTS AS A KID AND HAVE WATCHED SPORTS OFF AND ON FOR YEARS, BUT WHEN DID NOT CONGRATULATING THE WINNER BECOME OK?:ummm::ummm::bang head: LEBRON IS A GREAT BASKETBALL PLAYER AND CLEVELAND NEEDS GOOD NEWS BUT THIS ARROGANT CHILDISH BEHAVIOR HAS REALLY GOT TO STOP. THOUSANDS OF YOUNG PEOPLE ACROSS THE WORLD FOLLOW LEBRON'S CAREER AND I FEEL SICK FOR THE EXAMPLE HE SET AND FOR HOW HE REPRESENTED MY COUNTRY. I SHOULDN'T SINGLE HIM OUT TOTALLY, THE WHINEY CHILDISH BEHAVIOR OF ATHLETES AND ACTORS IN GENERAL IS PATHETIC. I DONT REMEMBER ELVIS OR SINATRA COMPLAINING PUBLICLY ALL THE TIME OR REMEMBER BIRD OR MAGIC CRYING FOR A FOUL AFTER EVERY PLAY!! I MEAN THERE ARE MILIONS OF PEOPLE WITHOUT JOBS OR GOOD PROSPECTS THAT BUSTED THEIR ASSES EVERY DAY AND LOST THEIR JOBS BUTWE HAVE TO LISTEN TO THESE INSANELY OVERPAID PREMODONNAS CRY :tantrum:ABOUT HOW UNFAIR THINGS ARE!!!! WHAT THE F*&%K?!?!?:damn angry::teeth angry::real mad:

I HAD TO EXPLAIN THIS TO MY 15 YEAR OLD SON SO HE DOESNT GROW UP TO BE SO SELF CENTERED AND STUPID.

SORRY FOR THE RANT:ranting: IT WAS BOTHERING ME.

Nobody is perfect, but LeBron will have to get a lot more arrogant for me to jump off his bandwagon. I'd take him not shaking hands with the opposing team any day versus Kobe raping a woman, Spreewell choking his coach, Artest trying to fistfight with fans, or Phelps smoking a bong.

LeBron is probably a sore looser, but I'd rather watch a sore looser than a gangsta thug druggie. Basketball has turned into UFC anyways. Hardly any players play clean, sportsmanlike ball anymore.

Nobody is perfect, but LeBron will have to get a lot more arrogant for me to jump off his bandwagon. I'd take him not shaking hands with the opposing team any day versus Kobe raping a woman, Spreewell choking his coach, Artest trying to fistfight with fans, or Phelps smoking a bong.

LeBron is probably a sore looser, but I'd rather watch a sore looser than a gangsta thug druggie. Basketball has turned into UFC anyways. Hardly any players play clean, sportsmanlike ball anymore.

You said a mouthful there!
Show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser.
........still the King!
+1

I don't watch sports... 95% of them are still kids that don't know what real life is. I WON'T watch someone get paid millions to play a sport. Especially when all these kids and people are without in this country...

........what does one have to do with the other?

Just because other players also engage in dipshitted / criminal behavior doesn't excuse James.

No class is no class, any way you cut it.

Re: Great role model

Glad to see you taking the time to teach the kid how to be a class act. Don't forget to explain to him not to look to sports stars as role models. Barkley says it all the time. As a "Dad" you should know better than to let pro athletes be examples to your kid. What the hell does this thread have to do with V Maxes? I want my five minutes back!:ummm:

Same as the "GM Bankruptcy" or "Show your Guns" threads.
It's "The Burn Out Pit"...anything goes!
I agree with you, pro athletes are entertainers and do not make good role models.
There are some that make a point of it, but there is no guarantee.
Nor should there be the expectation.
Sorry about your time management thing ha, ha, ha!

I don't really see what the big deal was with him not shaking hands...it happens all the time...someone is frustrated with themselves and their team they just want to get the hell outa dodge. He doesn't respect the Magic any less he was just angry with his own and his teams poor play that game...Just because the greatest athlete in the NBA doesn't shake someones hand he is labled a dirt bag and a crybaby? Its not the first time and it won't be the last for an NBA player to walk off without shaking someones hand.

i by no means meant lebron was the only one or it is anything new but for someone my age that is bullsh*&t [and on the playground might get a elbow in the mouth the next game]. lebron is a great player but it is just basketball, he is not saving lives the same goes for dwight kobe and most others in pro sports or entertainment. i tell my son to always remember that what you read, see on tv and on the internet is mostly fiction and onesided opinion so use your own brain and the info you have. i just thought this is something we all need to address.

lets make rolemodels for the world that are strong but kind, happy and wise, self sacrificing and brave, honest and gracious. doctors firemen soldiers police.....

Wow.....it's just a game!
Not that I disagree with your role model description, but his intensity is who he is, like it or not.
That's the, taste in your mouth loss, that will fuel him for next year.
I want athletes to care and be mad when they lose.
I guessing it's a safe bet those who make issue with it, have never competed at a high level!
Of course he is not a role model, he is an entertainer and a good one!
It's the original reality TV!
He puts asses in the seats and thats the bottom line and any team would do anything to have a player like him.
You need good guys and bad guys and controversy, law abiding controversy! It's healthy.
For that reason, using athletes as a moral compass just doesn't make sense.
Young athletes need athlete heroes.
That doesn't mean they try to emulate anything other than their athletics!

Last edited:
Problem with pro sport stars is this;

It doesn't matter whether they are behaving really well or really badly, they are still role models whether they like it or not. People copy good and bad behaviour.

Sportsmanship should be part of professional standards and their training program. I thought it was. :confused2:

Good on you DAD for being a role model for your 15 year old boy.:punk:

In the large majority of cases, you are a product of your environment.
Most often when what you say happens, kids don't have the right influence at home.
As a kid, I trained to be a hockey player as did my friends.
I have coach kids for years (10-13) and the truth is, they know the difference.
As much as I want to be Bobby Hull on the ice, my Dad was and still is my hero!

i think any "star" who uses his fame to make money on endorsements and his public persona should be held to a high standard, just as i am at my job as a professional. by the way your hockey scenario is a good example of real sportmanship i have always seen the teams shake hands after the game even if they had a huge fight!!. i think he made a mistake and he can redeem himself but it has tarnished his image no doubt.

[and on the playground might get a elbow in the mouth the next game]

I trust that you wouldn't intentionally elbow someone in the mouth on the playground, on a blacktop court, or in the gym. I believe you were trying to infer that an Orlando Magic player might elbow him next year as a result of not shaking hands?

IMO, an elbow to the teeth in any sport other than maybe UFC is intolerable and no person throwing intentional elbows for this reason or suggesting the throwing of elbows should ever be seen as a good role model.

sorry i didnt mean to imply a real retaliation i was just commenting on the "product of hte enviroment" comment. personally if he had just came out and said " i am sorry, i was upset, i made a mistake" everything would be much better. he has let his ego get out of hand. that is what happens when someone becomes rich and then surrounds themselves with kiss asses and with no real friends around to say " hey your being a dumbass" ask micheal jackson.

In the large majority of cases, you are a product of your environment.
Most often when what you say happens, kids don't have the right influence at home.
As a kid, I trained to be a hockey player as did my friends.
I have coach kids for years (10-13) and the truth is, they know the difference.
As much as I want to be Bobby Hull on the ice, my Dad was and still is my hero!

Damn, ya beat me to the punch as it were. Couldn't have said it better myself!!! One of the reasons I watch/play/coach hockey is the fact that sportsmanship is stressed at ALL levels. Of course right now I want someone on the Wings to crush that whiney baby Crosby....... oh wait I should have used my inside voice LOL....

Back