grinding, clickity, kih-kih-kih-kih sounds on start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heat up the part of the flywheel behind the big nut with the puller still in place with tension on it. Take about 5 to 8 minutes to heat that part of the flywheel all the way around it, not just in one spot. You may have to go to Autozone and get the tree prong puller (8ton). Tighten and give it a big whack with large hammer while doing the heat process........

5 to 8 min. Might be a tad excessive.

It may take longer than 5 to 8 min. to get it heated enough for it to expand . I just measured the bore hole and it is 2 inches long, solid massive type steel. Here is some pics I took of an old flywheel I had.

Last edited:
i've gotta be doing something wrong. center bolt out. puller on. torching the effer. whacking it with 4 lb hammer. what am i missing?

one thing's for sure, my grindady-grind sound is a loose bolt--can see it flopping around.

tumblr_lkyazlbTnW1qjb89bo1_500.gif

I have never had much luck with the crow foot pullers, started using a "Jaw" puller and never had a failure since, it may take a litttle time to find one that fits just right....Just keep the jaws away from the magnet "tits" on the circumference of the flywheel.....

An impact wrench is a MUST! I've got one off with a breakover but it's a total pain in the ass compared to banging on it with an Impact....

Sometimes a little heat on the "nose" of the flywheel will help.....

Plus putting as much tension on the puller as you dare and then banging on the flywheel, (CAREFULLY, avoiding damnaging it) while it's tensioned up......

Leave the loose bolt in place backed out some and put the point of the puller in the dimple on the bolt or you'll be wearing that flywheel when it comes off

am i suppose to be hitting the flywheel or the puller's bolt?

Hit the puller bolt, big dead blows right on the end. You may have to get a 3 jaw puller that will fit, lube the threads on the puller so you get maximum pulling power for the torque you are putting into the bolt.

I didn't notice it was a 3 jaw, you got to tighten the hell out of it then hit it with dead blows to the puller bolt, use a cheater pipe on a pull bar if you have to. Without the type of puller Sean is using you are probably going to bend the starter sprocket unless your puller fits between the sprocket and flywheel.

Every Yamaha flywheel I have ever pulled is on there TIGHT! Keep the heat around the tapered area behind the wrench flats, and tap on the end of the puller bolt. Sometimes you have to release the tension on the puller, let everything cool down, then start again. You dont want to get things too hot. Sometimes I even use an impact on the puller, to give that extra "shock"....you might want to give that a try.

thanks guys for the advice. i am tightening the puller with an impact gun. i hand tighten the puller and then heat up the rotor's "nose" (the tapered area as you say behind the wrench flats), and then use an impact on the puller and then whack the puller bolt with my 4 lb. hammer. the sob ain't budging. argh!!! i need a break--i've been at since 9 this morning. how long is this gonna take? argh!

frustration.gif

I feel your pain. I don't know why they put them on so friggin tight...? The heat will do the most good at the rear portion of the tapered area, due to the (hidden) length of the flywheel.. (like alorio already stated) Hang in there!

Like 06VMAXIMUS said let things cool down and start over, if the crank shaft gets hot and expands then you don't get the same effect as just heating the flywheel.......

ok taking a break. will attack in 45 min. ;-). so 06VMAXIMUS, i should be applying the heat around where the green arrow is pointing?

Attachments

• IMG_20110626_110250_arrow.jpg
    IMG_20110626_110250_arrow.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 24
That's exactly where I would heat it. And also try to heat from the bottom, as heat tends to rise.

Try to get the heat at the very base of the taper, even slightly up the inside face of the of the flywheel (where the rivits are). (hope that's not confusing :))

You impact may be inadequate, put a tire tool in the puller and let it get up against something that will foul it. Then get your pull handle with with the right size socket on it and put some serious pressure on the puller bolt, use a cheater on the pull bar and then give it a good whack with the hammer. Repeat process, each time checking to see if you can tighten bolt even more.

Latest posts

Back